Knitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Well, although I still come on here to see how my friends are, I don't get to cook very often because of DH's medical problems, so, I had to find another hobby. I thought I would try my hand a knitting and I love it!!
I know fisher'smom knits, anyone else??
I see everyones plans for dinner and salavating recipes and I get so depressed:ermm:
I hope one day, I will be able to get back to cooking and testing all the things I haven't tried yet.

Yes, texas. I've love to knit and have been knitting for over 45 years. Even taught classes for a time. It's so much fun and so addictive. Lookout, you'll be stashing yarn, books and tools in no time. :rolleyes::LOL: Have fun!!!

I really wish there was someone closer to me to learn from like you. The videos that are on the site are very helpful,but, knitting is something best learned by seeing in person. I thought cooking could be complicated, LOL, there are so many names to the same stitch, just by changing one thing to it. LOL

Don't worry about being confused. Actually, there are only 2 stitches in knitting...knit and purl. The other stitches are simply combinations or manipulations of those stitches.

There is a series of books (3 or 4 books) that I can recommend, but I can't think of the names of the top of my head. I'll look them up and let you know. Very good explanations and photos.

I would suggest that you seek out knitting/yarn stores in your area. Many times these stores offer free or very reasonable help, including regular classes. These are nice because you will get expert hands-on help, plus you will meet some great people.

I learned to knit, but got interested in crocheting, because I felt it gave me a chance to be more creative. I turned into a fanatic on afghans, and started creating my own designs.
I had to quit a few years ago, after I got some kind of "itis" (bursitis, arthritis, tendonitis) in my shoulders.

I used to crochet when I was younger. Not sure why I stopped, unless it was being a stupid teenager. I started on knitting because I didn't realize that you could do just as much stuff with crochet as you can with knitting. I almost gave up on the knitting too and started on the crochet. Someone on the forum that I found told me not to give up yet. I'm glad that I didn't. It's actually a challenge and I just can't let a challenge go. LOL

Use to love knitting. Haven't done it in quite a few, since the yarn stores closed (Super Yarn Mart) & a bead shop I frequented moved. Had every size needle imaginable - even #40 :LOL:. That was one quick sweater. Last sweater I made was a Marc Jacobs' pattern from a Vogue knitting magazine. It was covered in black pailettes. (I looked like a walking fishscale, but it sure was fun. lol)

445d_1.JPG

A helpful book (soft cover) you might enjoy, is called the Knitting Dictionary -- color photos & includes crochet patterns as well. The book is easy to follow. Start w large needles & chunky yarn. You'll have an afghan by Monday. :ROFLMAO:. There are some pretty (chenille) yarns, etc here. Have fun.

Lion Brand Yarn

ETA: Did Bargello needlepoint for awhile. Still have all the books, & patterns I saved from library books I color copied. The colors/patterns are prettier than these, but here's the idea:

Bargello (needlework) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Wow, Texas, I'm so glad you're enjoying knitting! I really like most handcrafts - knitting, sewing, crocheting. It's a pleasure to produce something with your hands and it's a great way to kill time while waiting for an appointment or playing chauffeur for the kids. Because of you, I started knitting a lovely mohair shawl last week! I wish we lived closer because I'd love to start a knitting circle!

You should start carrying your knitting everywhere and you will run into others that knit and can help you with things you have trouble with. Also, if you have a nursing home or retirement community near you, call and see if any of the residents knit. Those folks would love the visit, are a wealth of information, and have the time to sit and show you. (I've always wanted to learn to tat and I've been thinking about seeing if there is anyone in the nursing home near me that can show me.)

I've never done a scrapbook, virgo, but I've practiced and even taught calligraphy for many years and I've often thought scrapbooking might be a craft I would enjoy. I've seen some amazing scrapbooks in magazines that truly are works of art. Maybe I should give it a try.

I sew and have done counted cross-stitch and other needlework, but I never learned to knit or crochet. People were always saying, "I can teach you," but no one ever did. Now my carpal tunnel is so bad that I'm sure I couldn't do it. My hands are asleep most of the time now. When I sew a hem (I prefer to do them by hand--no one can see my hems) I have to stop to wake my hands up after every couple stitches. :(

:)Barbara

oooooooooh, I wish I could knit!!
I came from a family full of crocheters, and we have the MANY afghans to prove it ;)
I learned to crochet early on, but wasn't all that good. I tried again as an adult, but only made one blanket worth keeping, which was a baby blanket for my second son. I believe the cat has it now.

But, I have one thing I really want to learn - to sew with a machine. Mom & Grandma made a lot of my clothes when I was growing up and Grandma even made amazing Barbie clothes for us. My sister is a whiz at it. She took sewing class in Junior High, but I took cooking instead. (apparently that class stuck!)

But now, after sewing many things like curtains by hand, it's time!
I plan on getting a good sewing machine within the next year or so and taking a class.

If you were closer to Escondido, jkath, I would tell you to go to my dad's store. He would give you a great deal on a sewing machine. :cool: I love sewing! I hope you do too. One of the most important things I have learned, though, is that if I am not in the mood to put a zipper in, I had better wait! Otherwise I will be putting it in twice (and it's no fun to take a zipper out!). I am absolutely going to have to get together with you now so I can show you how I do my hems. No one beats my hems, if I do say so myself! :blush:

:)Barbara

But, I have one thing I really want to learn - to sew with a machine. Mom & Grandma made a lot of my clothes when I was growing up and Grandma even made amazing Barbie clothes for us. My sister is a whiz at it. She took sewing class in Junior High, but I took cooking instead. (apparently that class stuck!)

But now, after sewing many things like curtains by hand, it's time!
I plan on getting a good sewing machine within the next year or so and taking a class.
You go, girl! I love sewing. I had to teach myself because I was a rotten teenager and refused to let my mom teach me then. By the time I had a family and really wanted to learn, she was busy doing other things (which served me right). Go to a sewing machine repair place and chat up the repair person. They will be happy to tell you what to look for in a good machine and what to steer clear of. Also, they will recommend different models you may come across in garage or estate sales that are wonderful bargains. They will even let you come back with a used machine and show you how to use and maintain it - especially if you bring baked goodies! (Can you tell I'm excited for you???)

TG I'm so glad you are enjoying the knitting.
It's something I've always been fairly useless at :rolleyes:
When I was at school we were taught knitting by a nun who used to stalk round the classroom watching us. When she got to me she used to snatch the needles frome me, pull the knitting off and unravel it and tell me to start again!! That's probably why I've always been fairly useless!

I love to knit! I learned it 2 years ago and crochet last year. All great! I used to cross-stitch but sort of neglected it since I picked up the others.
For books, I like Knitting for Dummies, I Taught Myself Knitting (small book but very basic) and Stitch n *****.
Internet is wonderful for learning!
Crochetville Forum
this is for crochet but they have a couple knitting forums that are just as helpful.
Lion Brand Yarn Company
Knitting
KnittingHelp.com | Learn How to Knit
Knitting Pattern Central - Free, Online Knitting Patterns - Beginner Knitting Instructions - Knitting Tips, Tricks, Testimonials and More!
Or just PM me I can help! Knitting / Crochet and cooking are my favorite things. Then I wonder why I gain weight in the winter!!!!! Ya gotta eat what ya cook and Knitting doesn't burn much!
I'll see if I can think up anymore help for you.

You go, girl! I love sewing. I had to teach myself because I was a rotten teenager and refused to let my mom teach me then. By the time I had a family and really wanted to learn, she was busy doing other things (which served me right). Go to a sewing machine repair place and chat up the repair person. They will be happy to tell you what to look for in a good machine and what to steer clear of. Also, they will recommend different models you may come across in garage or estate sales that are wonderful bargains. They will even let you come back with a used machine and show you how to use and maintain it - especially if you bring baked goodies! (Can you tell I'm excited for you???)

Absolutely wonderful advice!! Thank you, and I will most certainly go about it this way! Especially the baking part:rolleyes:

Also, for books, browse thru Amazon. I've found books for a dollar or 2 there. You can get one new book for $20 and you will qualify for free shipping, then add on a bunch of cheap ones. I did that with crochet...... except DH was the one that got the brand new book. :(
About car polishing. WOWEEEEEE!!!!
But I did get about 5 books out of it, so I suppose I got the better deal.

Back
Top Bottom