Know a good rain dance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
We got a large and growing problem in the Great Dismal Swamp.
A wildfire that is currently only 10% contained and has burned nearly 6,000 acres is in need of a better than average downpour.
Casa de Hoot is about 45 miles from the fire, so we aren't likely to be in harm's way just yet, but the firefighters sure could use a prayer or two. It has been so hot and dry lately that the swamp is a tinderbox.
If anyone knows a good rain dance, by all means, put on your dancin' shoes!!
Thanks!!

Oh, I wish I did. I'll keep you guys and the fire fighters in my thoughts and prayers. Seems like the number of people in serious need of prayers and good thoughts is growing exponentially. I hope you guys stay safe and that the fire doesn't reach you, and I hope your area gets the rain it needs.

A wildfire that is currently only 10% contained and has burned nearly 6,000 acres is in need of a better than average downpour.
Casa de Hoot is about 45 miles from the fire, so we aren't likely to be in harm's way just yet, but the firefighters sure could use a prayer or two. It has been so hot and dry lately that the swamp is a tinderbox.
Thanks!!

I'm in the other end of the swamp! We just passed our second year of drought and we FINALLY got some serious rain! I hope your end of the swamp gets some soon!

Florida had something like 150 major fires going at once, just a couple months ago. One got within 5 miles of me, but they finally put it out.

Good luck to you and yours. I'm sending some rain to you. It'll be in a very wet box.

The only bummer is now I have to mow again....Ha!

What a shame. Rain dancing away.

What crazy weather circumstances so many of us have had.

Tuesday morning I woke up and wandered around the house looking for where the smoke smell was coming from. Turns out it was the Great Dismal Swamp fire smoke getting blown into our neighborhood by the wind. We had been out of town and didn't know about the fire. There have been several days where they have issued air quality alerts for folks with asthma to take precautions when outside. We do need a good soaker. Where is all the rain we got back in June?

hoot, i've been following the news of the massive fires in the dismal swamp area, with thought of you. it's good to know that you are not in any immediate danger yourself. let's all hope your area gets some much needed rain, and the fires can soon be extinguished. do you have increased animal activity around you, from the animals being displaced from their homes in the burning areas of the swamp?

We could actually smell it in DC the other day, I was shocked. I have friends from VaBeach to Richmond that have been complaining all week about it

Blowing south now

Virginia_tmo_2011222.jpg

Hoot, I hope they get that fire under control and out soon. I'm such a bad dancer that any dancing I did would probably make the fire spread. So I'll just sit here and think positively.

The rain hit here in Colorado. I need to work on rain dancing and throwing it your way. We really need it here too, but no fires here at the present time. Had one within 1/2 mile of our place in the spring. It is so scary. I hope the rain falls soon for you.

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone!!
The weatherman is calling for 50% chance of rain this afternoon. 'Course, that means there is a 50% chance that it won't.
I ain't sure I should trust someone who is telling us what the weather is gonna be when they work in a room that ain't got a window in it. :LOL:

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone!!
The weatherman is calling for 50% chance of rain this afternoon. 'Course, that means there is a 50% chance that it won't.
I ain't sure I should trust someone who is telling us what the weather is gonna be when they work in a room that ain't got a window in it. :LOL:

Pack up the whole family and head for the beach or start painting the house or any other dry weather activity. Guarantee it'll rain.

Here in NN it is cloudy and smelling like smoke outside. Hope it rains but those clouds don't look very heavy right now.

Thanks!!

Have you tried scheduling an extended family picnic? How about washing your car? Buying box seat tickets for a baseball game usually does the trick nicely.

Rain dances? Water your garden. Wash your car, wax it, and park outside. Wash windows. All of these pretty much guarantee, in my life, to end drought and make it so all your hours of work are wasted with a big, hard, very messy, very muddy rain. People don't realize how terrible swamp fires are because swamps are so wet. When I lived near Daytona we had some doozies. And they're so bad on firefighters because they get to work with alligators and snakes. Fun.

We got some rain this evening but not sure if it was enough to help the fires much.

That's the issue here in Florida too, jabbur. It takes a good medium hard rain that lasts for a couple days to get under the mat of compost in the forests. Until that happens, 2 inches under, is still bone dry and like tinder!

I hope you get a really, really good soaker soon! We've finally started getting some where I live!

Well, I tried to take everyone's advice..... I planned to go to a picnic at the beach, go to a baseball game and washed my truck...i also took the precaution of hanging out clothes and gong camping.....and Lo and behold...it did rain!!! I doubt that it was enough to put the fire out but it is a start!
Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom