Labor Day: 3 Weeks From Now Plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Time does certainly fly ... Labor Day is only three weeks away. What are you planning ? Are you going to prepare a family lunch, go to visit dear ones and / or be travelling ?

Our daughters Naia & Nathalia and the 5 grand children are going to staying with us, in Puglia until 3rd September, so, a family lunch on the open air sea view terrace ...

What is cooking ? We are discussing that at this very moment ... Since there are the six grown ups, and 5 grand children ... A Roast is always enough for all of us ... Baby Anthony Luca, is only 9 months old, and Daniel Jonah is going to be two in December; so, it is actually the twins and Adyson who eat a full children´s portion ...

We have a small Hibachi and we could prepare, some grilled BBQ chicken for them ...

So, a roast then, with an Italian baked short pasta of course ... We are Italian 50% and some of us are 100% Italian ... and of course a large salad ...

What do you all have in mind ?

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.
Have lovely August,
Ciao, Margi. :)

We plan to head to Va Beach for the American Music Festival. We have been going to this event since Mrs Hoot and I got together... about 12 years now. This year, however, the lineup is not as good (IMHO) as it has been in past years. I reckon the economy and all is causing them to try to keep costs down, just like everywhere else.
We will get to visit with friends and family though. It will be good even if there wasn't a festival.

Last year, Little Miss Hoot, (daughter) went with us. She was pouting because she wasn't old enough to order a drink at our regular stop, the 15th St. Raw Bar & Grill. She has informed me that she is going with us this year and now that she is 21, she will buy a round of drinks. I like that!!

Last edited:
Kylie, Buonasera,

it is always nice to see my daughters and the G.K. and my son in laws. We are all living in another country basically and thus, August, Christmas time and Easter with a few short trips for the Vet and I over to Zürich are the only time, we are not on Skype or emailing shortie notes ... Naia is based in St. Augustine, Florida, and that is a long 10 hour trip direct flight from Madrid ... Perhaps in 2013, as my Mom is in Miami ... Then, we could book a cheap flight over to Uruguay to see close friends.

Let us see ... It is only August 2012 ...

Is it winter where you are ? When is your summer ?

Have lovely August,
Margi.

I am taking my 8 year old and myself to Pigeon Forge, TN where we will stay at a nice hotel and relax for the weekend. I'm staying away from all the Dollywood parks this time around. I hate trying to cram in "fun" ;) The hotel we will be at has waterslides etc so as long as the weather cooperates, that is all the fun we will need. :LOL:

Labor Day weekend is traditionally spent in the kitchen--we process corn for the freezer (about 3-4 wheel barrels), make tomato salsa (the tomatillos are ready--we usually do 1-2 wheel barrels of tomatoes), followed by salsa verde using the rest of the tomatillos. We also pick wild grapes and make grape jelly and start the first batch of sauerkraut. Busy weekend getting as much stuff out of the garden as we can.

Last edited:
We plan to head to Va Beach for the American Music Festival. We have been going to this event since Mrs Hoot and I got together... about 12 years now. This year, however, the lineup is not as good (IMHO) as it has been in past years. I reckon the economy and all is causing them to try to keep costs down, just like everywhere else.
We will get to visit with friends and family though. It will be good even if there wasn't a festival.

Last year, Little Miss Hoot, (daughter) went with us. She was pouting because she wasn't old enough to order a drink at our regular stop, the 15th St. Raw Bar & Grill. She has informed me that she is going with us this year and now that she is 21, she will buy a round of drinks. I like that!!

I'd really like to go to see either show at 5th street main stage Sat or Sun. Not necessarily for the music but some of my colleagues will be providing sign language interpretations! If you've never seen a music concert signed, it is often beautiful and amazing! Not sure if I can talk DH into it though coz it costs money! He'd go for the free concerts only if there isn't a big crowd.:LOL:

We have no hard and fast plans for the weekend. We'll probably just spend it at home same as always.

I'll be working. I don't think I've had a Labor Day weekend off in 12 years.

Ya'll have fun.
Cheers
Being self-employed, long weekends are a wash. However, what I do like is that the electricity rates are at the lowest rates (TOU). Time to fire up the oven, the saw mill, etc., and labor away.

CWS4322 said:
Being self-employed, long weekends are a wash. However, what I do like is that the electricity rates are at the lowest rates (TOU). Time to fire up the oven, the saw mill, etc., and labor away.

Good perspective. Positive. Thanks. :)

Merlot said:
I am taking my 8 year old and myself to Pigeon Forge, TN where we will stay at a nice hotel and relax for the weekend. I'm staying away from all the Dollywood parks this time around. I hate trying to cram in "fun" ;) The hotel we will be at has waterslides etc so as long as the weather cooperates, that is all the fun we will need. :LOL:

Merlot, if you get a chance, hit up Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys in Gatlinburg, which is nearby. The exhibits, especially the moving sidewalk shark display, are outstanding. You can even get discount coupons online.

That really does sound like a lot of fun Merlot :)

Merlot, if you get a chance, hit up Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys in Gatlinburg, which is nearby. The exhibits, especially the moving sidewalk shark display, are outstanding. You can even get discount coupons online.

I don't think we have been to the aquarium, but we have been to a lot of other stuff there. If he wants to go to the aquarium, I will definitely take him! :) Thanks for the recommendation. :cool:

Our pass for Busch Gardens in VA is good through the 3rd so we might go back down fir the weekend. Need to decide soon so we can get a decent hotel.. I'm NOT going budget after last time!

Kylie1969 said:
That is a shame...what job is it that you do?

I manage a kitchen. Started washing dish when I was 14 and here I am. The only "holiday" I get is Christmas day. But, someone has to do it so it might as well be me. :)
Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom