"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #91
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I remember my mother struggling into the "Living Rubber Girdle". Panty hose had yet to be invented, and she wanted to be as slim as possible.
We've come a looooooooong way baby!
Here's more info....
History of Playtex
Thank goodness. LOL

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #92
Executive Chef

Kayelle: Thanks so much for your Photo & Feedback

Absolutely, love the 1940s - 1950s photo of an antique advert for Girdles ... Thanks so much for your innovativeness.

Kindest, and have lovely summer,
Ciao, Margi.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #93
Executive Chef

Mirrors & panty lines

Buon Giorno,

In answer to Cerise´s interesting feedback, many women do not look in a mirror to see how their panty lines show through their trousers or light weight summery skirts and dresses or close knits ... It is horrendous to see a stunning woman, wearing a gorgeous white or light color dress, and to have thick thong or panty lines showing through.

For me this is disgraceful.

To all those, I have missed to thank, thanks for all your feedback, additional discussions and ideas.

Have a lovely summer,
Kind regards,
Margi. Ciao.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #94
Executive Chef

Make Up & What is Daytime Overdone ?

Cerise has made another exemplary point ... What is daytime over done ? One thing is night time make up and another is daytime professional ...

With all the stunning department stores, and brands, one can have a make over for a few Euros or Dollars, and purchase perfect colors for your individual palette for your complextion seasonally and learn how to apply it properly.

Some women look like they are going to a Masquerade verses the Office or Shop. Natural works best of Office with focus on eye expression and soft toned lips ... Too bold for office can be over powering.

Night time make up is much more liberal in application. I have also learnt, to either, use subtle eye shadows and a bright lipstick or deep eye shadows and a paler lipstick ... Too much reminds me of the Adams Family or the Munsters ...

Would like to hear your views. Which brands do you use ?

I like Rimmel U.K., Maybelline NY and Lancome for office ... I love Shisedo and Chanel for evening.

All my best,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I remember my mother struggling into the "Living Rubber Girdle". Panty hose had yet to be invented, and she wanted to be as slim as possible.
We've come a looooooooong way baby!
Here's more info....
History of Playtex
They also made rubber pants for babies. I used them for Son #1. They weren't anything special except the price.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I now have enough scrubs that I could go a month without washing any and not repeat a pattern.
When my son was expecting his first born and they knew it was going to be a boy, I bought a set of baby scrubs. What else would you give? I even found a pair of clogs like my son wore all the time. Like father, like son. When his wife brought the baby to the hospital to see his father he had the set on. He was the hit of the ER. They were ready to put him to work.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #97
Executive Chef

Addie,

My Mom and my paternal Grandmom had told me all about the under garments of women of their generations and of course, I had done some fashion journalism work for a short time, while my maternal family had owned an Outerwear Manufacturing Corporation.

Things have totally changed ... Pampers, or Doti´s as they call throw away diapers here were unheard of in Mom Eva´s day or Grandmom Margherite´s ... Women slaved over the wash boards and listened to their radio soap operas !

Have lovely summer Addie,
Margi.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

When my son was expecting his first born and they knew it was going to be a boy, I bought a set of baby scrubs. What else would you give? I even found a pair of clogs like my son wore all the time. Like father, like son. When his wife brought the baby to the hospital to see his father he had the set on. He was the hit of the ER. They were ready to put him to work.
That is so cute Addie! I'm sure the little guy looked good with his proud Papa.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
That is so cute Addie! I'm sure the little guy looked good with his proud Papa.
He is three years old now. I have a picture of him listening to his maternal grandmother's heart with his toy stethoscope. I have it as my wallpaper. I want to share it all with the rest of you, but can't figure out how to do it. Normally I wouldn't put a family picture out there, but his parents have his pic all over the internet. So I feel safe sharing it. Pic is a bmp. Doesn't seem to want to upload. Any suggestions?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #100
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The bmp is probably too big, can you save it as a jpg? They come out smaller.