"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #111
Executive Chef

When I was in the Air Force and lived on base, there was a full length mirror on the back of the door to the room. I always saw myself in the mirror before going out. Hmmmmm...I wonder if I should put one on the back of the front door?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #112
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano
Addie,

My Mom and my paternal Grandmom had told me all about the under garments of women of their generations and of course, I had done some fashion journalism work for a short time, while my maternal family had owned an Outerwear Manufacturing Corporation.

Things have totally changed ... Pampers, or Doti´s as they call throw away diapers here were unheard of in Mom Eva´s day or Grandmom Margherite´s ... Women slaved over the wash boards and listened to their radio soap operas !

Have lovely summer Addie,
Margi.
Reusable/washable diapers are so nice these days, more and more people are going back to them. Plus, they feel wet to the child, unlike disposable diapers, so they learn bladder control faster. My first nephew wore disposables, and just wanted to keep wearing diapers, because he didn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom. He would just wet himself, then seem surprised that it was cold and uncomfortable. My sister switched to cloth diapers with the second one, and he is already going in the potty at 1 1/2. He still has accidents, but no more frequently than her 2 1/2 year old did when she was potty training him. The second one will probably stop having accidents a lot sooner because he refuses to wear a diaper, unlike the first one who had the diapers taken away.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Disposable diapers were just coming on the market when my fifth child was born. I was warned by my doctor to be careful if I chose to use them. They promoted severe diaper rash. I am sure they have been improved by now. But I still would go with the cloth diapers.

I went with the cloth diapers for my fifth child. I used to enjoy sitting there watching TV and folding diapers. We didn't have a dryer, so they were hung outside on the clothes line. I loved the smell of them when I would bring them in the house. All my kids had the Birdseye diapers. They had the pre folded ones made of thick gauze. But they were very expensive. And they leaked a lot. They weren't as absorbent. My sister used them. After the baby was trained, they made great dust cloths and other uses for cleaning.

Some young mothers used to get diaper service. It has been years since I have seen a diaper truck. BTW, the largest purchaser of cloth diapers is the automotive industry for polishing the car.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

I potty-trained myself at 17 months. I also fell in the toilet doing so (that I remember) but what I don't remember, but have been told, was that my mom was on the phone and I went in the bathroom, pulled off my diaper, and sat on the toilet seat (and fell in). And screamed bloody murder. That got her off the phone.

There was "potty" seat by the toilet, but because my mom was on the phone, that didn't get put in place (I remember it--it was blue and white). After that, I stopped wearing those soggy cloth diapers. I got my "big girl" bed a month after that, and I remember the day it was delivered as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

I live in a farming community. We go to the feed store/grocery store/bank in our barn clothes. We dress up for weddings and funerals. We take our weekly baths on Saturdays (okay, maybe that is stretching it a bit) and don't give a hoot about how we look, we're too busy tending the fields, animals, and trying to make a living to care about what others think about our attire. Besides which, I'd look out of place if I changed out of my "farm" clothes to go to town.

A long time ago, I worked as a tour manager. I wore suits, heels, and even HATS. I flew from Toronto after a tour to Lake of the Woods. I wore a suit, heels, and yes, I think I even had a hat on...maybe not. Anyway, I flew from TO to Thunder Bay on a "normal" sized plane. From Thunder Bay to Fort Francis, ON on a 9-seater, and then from there, a friend picked me up in his float plane. I deplaned at the dock--my mom and brother were there to meet me. They were wearing jeans and chamois shirts. When they saw me, they both bent over double and almost fell off the dock--they were laughing so hard. I was definitely overdressed for a week at Lake of the Woods! And, the news of my arrival went around the little village in record time. I think you gotta dress for the environment and activity. I shed that suit and heels as soon as I hit the cabin and spent my week in my swim suit, shorts, jeans, chamois shirts.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

My grandfather worked in a ceramics factory. His job was to put the handle on chamber pots. (We called him Potsie.) Our family had one of the pots. My sister and I both trained our kids on that chamber pot. The last I heard, she had put it in the attic. I don't know what happened to it after she died.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to agree with you CWS. If I were to get dressed up, I would get stares from everyone. You only see that in the morning when the young folks are going to work. The rest of the citizens dress according to the weather and comfort. I have a couple of house dresses that I wear on chilly days. They are soft cotton and very comfortable. I even get stares when I wear them. Everyone in the building wears slacks or shorts.

I am not out to impress anyone. Don't like the way I look, then turn away. I dress for comfort and what is suitable for whatever activity I am doing at the time. Nylons, suit and makeup just don't do it for sitting and doing needlework.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #118
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to agree with you CWS. If I were to get dressed up, I would get stares from everyone. You only see that in the morning when the young folks are going to work. The rest of the citizens dress according to the weather and comfort. I have a couple of house dresses that I wear on chilly days. They are soft cotton and very comfortable. I even get stares when I wear them. Everyone in the building wears slacks or shorts.

I am not out to impress anyone. Don't like the way I look, then turn away. I dress for comfort and what is suitable for whatever activity I am doing at the time. Nylons, suit and makeup just don't do it for sitting and doing needlework.
+1

I do check my Crocs/birkies to make sure I am not bringing chicken poo with me to the bank or grocery store...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #119
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Some young mothers used to get diaper service. It has been years since I have seen a diaper truck
I regularly see a diaper truck making deliveries on my street......so I guess they're still around or making a come back. ....in LA of all places...
I wish they brought back milk delivery. I have an unused pet door at the side entrance. ...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #120
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the numerous posts, feedback & input

Always a pleasure to have so much to read, and ponder on ...

Have lovely Evening,
Buonasera, Ciao.
Margi.