Ladies Only: Are You A Trouser or Dress Woman?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PANTYHOSE & OPAQUES & PATTERENED TIGHTS

Ladies, when I wear a skirt or dress, I wear pantyhose, and have varieties ranging from summer weight 20 denier to winter weight 180 denier ...

Bare white legs in a professional office, are not very professional. I am tan as I am in Puglia, and on beach early am and on terrace overlooking Adriatic, however, if I go to an Office, I am professional. My views.

GOOD TOPIC to bring up, and thanks.
Margi.

Last edited:
I usually wear pants/slacks or jeans, tracksuits etc :)

I am not a real skirt or dress person, although in summer I like to wear they nice soft flowing dresses as they make you feel so nice and cool :)

I mostly wear skirts, because I think they are more comfortable. But, they have to have pockets. I wear jeans too, but in the heat, a skirt lets in air. And, I don't usually wear hose with them. If there a few blemishes on my legs, tough.
In the summer, I live in cotton sundresses. Like TL, I like to have air flow. If it isn't that hot or I have to work in the garden, I wear scrubs. I too need pockets. When I leave the house, I wear one of my cotton sundresses (preferably one without bleach spots or Saint drool/hair), capris, or jeans. I have 14 pairs of Birkenstocks. I have two pairs of heels...I haven't worn either for 3 years. In the winter, my scrubs are replaced by flannel lounge pants, jeans when I leave the house.

Halter dresses, bustiers, sun dresses, straight skirted or on bias flare, are always lovely with sandels, ballerinas or heels ... Very summery.

Thanks to all for your feedback and contributions.

Have lovely summer,
Ciao, Margi.

I have a knee replacement scar, and very suntanned legs. The scar is more obvious in the summer, because it does not tan. I think the no-tanning rule is for when the scar is new, so you don't sunburn the new skin.

Margi Cintrano said:

Ladies, when I wear a skirt or dress, I wear pantyhose, and have varieties ranging from summer weight 20 denier to winter weight 180 denier ...

Bare white legs in a professional office, are not very professional. I am tan as I am in Puglia, and on beach early am and on terrace overlooking Adriatic, however, if I go to an Office, I am professional. My views.

Margi.

But bare tan legs are professional? If not, just "Bare legs aren't professional" would have gotten the point across. With how much we know about sun damage, why do we still think tanning is attractive? I just don't get it. Why can't alabaster skin be just as attractive as someone born with olive skin? I am a little self conscious about my white legs because I know a lot of people think I should go get a tan, but I'm holding onto the, "If you don't like it, tough," attitude. Skin cancer runs in my family, and I see no reason to damage my skin when we have sunscreen to prevent it. I bet if a black person said he/she was self conscious about their skin color, the same people who tell me I need a tan would fall all over themselves to tell them they should love themselves just the way god made them. ::steps off soap box::

Last edited:
But bare tan legs are professional? If not, just "Bare legs aren't professional" would have gotten the point across. With how much we know about sun damage, why do we still think tanning is attractive? I just don't get it. Why can't alabaster skin be just as attractive as someone born with olive skin? I am a little self conscious about my white legs because I know a lot of people think I should go get a tan, but I'm holding onto the, "If you don't like it, tough," attitude. Skin cancer runs in my family, and I see no reason to damage my skin when we have sunscreen to prevent it. I bet if a black person said he/she was self conscious about their skin color, the same people who tell me I need a tan would fall all over themselves to tell them they should love themselves just the way god made them. ::steps off soap box::
Skittle,
protecting yourself comes first. I don't find untanned arms and legs unattractive. In fact I admire anyone who dares to go against the what people call the norm. I don't go out and tan anymore like I use to. In fact I at times wonder why I did that !!! But to each his own untanned, tanned YOU, all of us need to decide what we want to do, and, as long as we are happy doing what we feel is best for us. Bravo.
kades

kadesma said:
Skittle,
protecting yourself comes first. I don't find untanned arms and legs unattractive. In fact I admire anyone who dares to go against the what people call the norm. I don't go out and tan anymore like I use to. In fact I at times wonder why I did that !!! But to each his own untanned, tanned YOU, all of us need to decide what we want to do, and, as long as we are happy doing what we feel is best for us. Bravo.
kades

Thank you, I agree. I just wonder how many ladies would like to wear dresses or shorts, but feel their skin color isn't attractive enough for the general public. That's just wrong. Luckily for my skin, I went through a goth phase when I most likely would have started tanning, and my white skin was just super for that! Lol!

Last edited:
Thank you, I agree. I just wonder how many ladies would like to wear dresses or shorts, but feel their skin color isn't attractive enough for the general public. That's just wrong. Luckily for my skin, I went through a goth phase when I most likely would have started tanning, and my white skin was just super for that! Lol!
That's the way to look at life Skittle..Keep it up I love it.
kades

Sun dresses with pockets and shorts with tank tops in the summer. I have a big ugly skin graft scar on one leg. It gets a lot of eeeews! I don't care. I still have my leg. (My mantra. I still have my leg.) Don't look if you don't like it. If people are rude enough to ask about it, I give them the same story as for the psoriasis. "It is where they cut out the leprosy." I love shaking people up and making them think.

Winter wear is slacks with long sleeve tops. I never wear socks or anything on my legs. Can't stand anything touching the graft. I even sleep with that leg outside the blankets. The graft goes down to the top of my foot. Slacks have to be loose fitting around the ankles.

I do have some dressy dresses for fancy occasions along with some skirts and blouses. And one pair of 1.5" heels to go with them. Other wise I buy the same loafers year after year. Feet are short and fat. Difficult to find shoes that fit.

I shop for clothing that is bright. I hate when folks change to dark somber clothing in the winter. It is so depressing. You will fiind me wearing bright yellow and blues in the winter as well as summer. I wear white outer wear in the winter. White faux fur coat and well as white or bright colored scarf.

Due to the psoriasis, all my clothing is cotton. Good thing I love to iron. :)

Sun dresses with pockets and shorts with tank tops in the summer. I have a big ugly skin graft scar on one leg. It gets a lot of eeeews! I don't care. I still have my leg. (My mantra. I still have my leg.) Don't look if you don't like it. If people are rude enough to ask about it, I give them the same story as for the psoriasis. "It is where they cut out the leprosy." I love shaking people up and making them think.

Winter wear is slacks with long sleeve tops. I never wear socks or anything on my legs. Can't stand anything touching the graft. I even sleep with that leg outside the blankets. The graft goes down to the top of my foot. Slacks have to be loose fitting around the ankles.

I do have some dressy dresses for fancy occasions along with some skirts and blouses. And one pair of 1.5" heels to go with them. Other wise I buy the same loafers year after year. Feet are short and fat. Difficult to find shoes that fit.

I shop for clothing that is bright. I hate when folks change to dark somber clothing in the winter. It is so depressing. You will fiind me wearing bright yellow and blues in the winter as well as summer. I wear white outer wear in the winter. White faux fur coat and well as white or bright colored scarf.

Due to the psoriasis, all my clothing is cotton. Good thing I love to iron. :)
I have very pale skin, I don't care that I have white legs. Comfort is the main concern for me. I also have a "uniform" for when I have to leave the house. I wear black/blue (sometimes purple) on the bottom, purple on the top--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I have two cubbies in that closet of purple tops--two stacks deep in each cubby. Life's too short to complicate it with too many choices about what to wear. It makes it easy to pack when I have to travel, easy to dress in the morning, and easy to shop. Once in awhile, I wear something else, but am slowly culling the wardrobe to be that simple.

Alix said:
Hmmm, I do both. It depends on where I'm going. If I'm teaching, probably pants and heels. If I'm going to a wedding, a dress.

This is me too, except add shorts and sun dresses for hot summer days.

CWS4322 said:
I have very pale skin, I don't care that I have white legs. Comfort is the main concern for me. I also have a "uniform" for when I have to leave the house. I wear black/blue (sometimes purple) on the bottom, purple on the top--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I have two cubbies in that closet of purple tops--two stacks deep in each cubby. Life's too short to complicate it with too many choices about what to wear. It makes it easy to pack when I have to travel, easy to dress in the morning, and easy to shop. Once in awhile, I wear something else, but am slowly culling the wardrobe to be that simple.

I'm laughing here because my son (with OCD) prefers to always wear black t-shirts. Just made me chuckle to hear that you wear purple all of the time.

LP, just wondering if you care to share why you cannot get sunlight on that scar? I have a 3 inch scar on my knee from an ACL replacement surgery, nothing was said to me about not tanning or exposing it to sunlight..... just curious. :)

Somebunny, it is totally about my body's tendancy to build scar tissue on scar tissue (internally and out) that is the reason. Nothing you need to worry about. I had to have a second surgery on my knee one month after the initial replacement to exchange a plastic plate because the scar tissue was building around it. The surgeon carefully went over the original scar so as to try and not promote more external scarring (internally I just won't have another surgery because it has all come back and more).

If I were to get the scar sunburned it could easily promote more scarring which I don't need. So, I just keep it covered.

Sorry if I scared you a bit.

I'm laughing here because my son (with OCD) prefers to always wear black t-shirts. Just made me chuckle to hear that you wear purple all of the time.
DH does the same thing--all his "uniform" shirts (things he wears when he has to meet a client, go to the office to work when he's on a contract) are all sort of olive green. And he wears black jeans (keeps a couple of pairs that can't be worn around the farm or in the shop). It makes life easier. Color-coding the closet is easy--as is doing laundry--I often have one load of purple only. The bath towels, shower curtain, liner are also either purple or lavender. Again, easy. The DH buys all the same kind of socks--that way, they don't have to be mated and he always has matching socks. Most of my jewelry are either diamonds or amethysts, so I'm good to go on the jewelry front as well.

Last edited:

Margi.

I couldn't agree more with your professional views Margi. I recently came off jury duty, and I can assure you that the polished female attorneys in their classic dark business suits wore hose, and yes, I noticed. There were a couple of them who didn't and they looked ridiculous in my opinion. A sundress with bare legs and sandals looks fine, tan or no tan, but not on every occasion or with every skirt/dress. I hate hose, that's why I wear pants. Just sayin...:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more with your professional views Margi. I recently came off jury duty, and I can assure you that the polished female attorneys in their classic dark business suits wore hose, and yes, I noticed. There were a couple of them who didn't and they looked ridiculous in my opinion. A sundress with bare legs and sandals looks fine, tan or no tan, but not on every occasion or with every skirt/dress. I hate hose, that's why I wear pants. Just sayin...:rolleyes:
There is spray-on tan that one can use....air brushing, if you will. I think they use that for Dancing with the Stars...

If I wear a skirt during cooler weather, I do wear pantyhose or opaque tights. Some of my hose are so old, the elastic waistband is shot, as I found out when I took a pair to wear to an out of town wedding. I put them on, they headed south, and I had to buy a new pair on the way to the ceremony......

Last edited:
Unless it's quite cold, I prefer stockings and garter belt to panty hosers. I also have footless, cotton tights that I use as long underwear with skirts or pants.

Back
Top Bottom