"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Sun dresses with pockets and shorts with tank tops in the summer. I have a big ugly skin graft scar on one leg. It gets a lot of eeeews! I don't care. I still have my leg. (My mantra. I still have my leg.) Don't look if you don't like it. If people are rude enough to ask about it, I give them the same story as for the psoriasis. "It is where they cut out the leprosy." I love shaking people up and making them think.

Winter wear is slacks with long sleeve tops. I never wear socks or anything on my legs. Can't stand anything touching the graft. I even sleep with that leg outside the blankets. The graft goes down to the top of my foot. Slacks have to be loose fitting around the ankles.

I do have some dressy dresses for fancy occasions along with some skirts and blouses. And one pair of 1.5" heels to go with them. Other wise I buy the same loafers year after year. Feet are short and fat. Difficult to find shoes that fit.

I shop for clothing that is bright. I hate when folks change to dark somber clothing in the winter. It is so depressing. You will fiind me wearing bright yellow and blues in the winter as well as summer. I wear white outer wear in the winter. White faux fur coat and well as white or bright colored scarf.

Due to the psoriasis, all my clothing is cotton. Good thing I love to iron.
I have very pale skin, I don't care that I have white legs. Comfort is the main concern for me. I also have a "uniform" for when I have to leave the house. I wear black/blue (sometimes purple) on the bottom, purple on the top--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I have two cubbies in that closet of purple tops--two stacks deep in each cubby. Life's too short to complicate it with too many choices about what to wear. It makes it easy to pack when I have to travel, easy to dress in the morning, and easy to shop. Once in awhile, I wear something else, but am slowly culling the wardrobe to be that simple.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Hmmm, I do both. It depends on where I'm going. If I'm teaching, probably pants and heels. If I'm going to a wedding, a dress.
This is me too, except add shorts and sun dresses for hot summer days.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I have very pale skin, I don't care that I have white legs. Comfort is the main concern for me. I also have a "uniform" for when I have to leave the house. I wear black/blue (sometimes purple) on the bottom, purple on the top--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I have two cubbies in that closet of purple tops--two stacks deep in each cubby. Life's too short to complicate it with too many choices about what to wear. It makes it easy to pack when I have to travel, easy to dress in the morning, and easy to shop. Once in awhile, I wear something else, but am slowly culling the wardrobe to be that simple.
I'm laughing here because my son (with OCD) prefers to always wear black t-shirts. Just made me chuckle to hear that you wear purple all of the time.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
LP, just wondering if you care to share why you cannot get sunlight on that scar? I have a 3 inch scar on my knee from an ACL replacement surgery, nothing was said to me about not tanning or exposing it to sunlight..... just curious. :)
Somebunny, it is totally about my body's tendancy to build scar tissue on scar tissue (internally and out) that is the reason. Nothing you need to worry about. I had to have a second surgery on my knee one month after the initial replacement to exchange a plastic plate because the scar tissue was building around it. The surgeon carefully went over the original scar so as to try and not promote more external scarring (internally I just won't have another surgery because it has all come back and more).

If I were to get the scar sunburned it could easily promote more scarring which I don't need. So, I just keep it covered.

Sorry if I scared you a bit.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
That's the way to look at life Skittle..Keep it up I love it.
kades
+1

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I'm laughing here because my son (with OCD) prefers to always wear black t-shirts. Just made me chuckle to hear that you wear purple all of the time.
DH does the same thing--all his "uniform" shirts (things he wears when he has to meet a client, go to the office to work when he's on a contract) are all sort of olive green. And he wears black jeans (keeps a couple of pairs that can't be worn around the farm or in the shop). It makes life easier. Color-coding the closet is easy--as is doing laundry--I often have one load of purple only. The bath towels, shower curtain, liner are also either purple or lavender. Again, easy. The DH buys all the same kind of socks--that way, they don't have to be mated and he always has matching socks. Most of my jewelry are either diamonds or amethysts, so I'm good to go on the jewelry front as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
PANTYHOSE & OPAQUES & PATTERENED TIGHTS

Ladies, when I wear a skirt or dress, I wear pantyhose, and have varieties ranging from summer weight 20 denier to winter weight 180 denier ...

Bare white legs in a professional office, are not very professional. I am tan as I am in Puglia, and on beach early am and on terrace overlooking Adriatic, however, if I go to an Office, I am professional. My views.

GOOD TOPIC to bring up, and thanks.
Margi.
I couldn't agree more with your professional views Margi. I recently came off jury duty, and I can assure you that the polished female attorneys in their classic dark business suits wore hose, and yes, I noticed. There were a couple of them who didn't and they looked ridiculous in my opinion. A sundress with bare legs and sandals looks fine, tan or no tan, but not on every occasion or with every skirt/dress. I hate hose, that's why I wear pants. Just sayin...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I couldn't agree more with your professional views Margi. I recently came off jury duty, and I can assure you that the polished female attorneys in their classic dark business suits wore hose, and yes, I noticed. There were a couple of them who didn't and they looked ridiculous in my opinion. A sundress with bare legs and sandals looks fine, tan or no tan, but not on every occasion or with every skirt/dress. I hate hose, that's why I wear pants. Just sayin...
There is spray-on tan that one can use....air brushing, if you will. I think they use that for Dancing with the Stars...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If I wear a skirt during cooler weather, I do wear pantyhose or opaque tights. Some of my hose are so old, the elastic waistband is shot, as I found out when I took a pair to wear to an out of town wedding. I put them on, they headed south, and I had to buy a new pair on the way to the ceremony......
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Unless it's quite cold, I prefer stockings and garter belt to panty hosers. I also have footless, cotton tights that I use as long underwear with skirts or pants.