Ladies Only: Are You A Trouser or Dress Woman?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skittles,

Certainly, I had stated, if you re.read, that if I am in professional circumstances, I am professional meaning I always wear panty hose for professional meetings or for work days.

Please note, some women like men with hairy chests and others without hair on their chest. So, if one turns you off, you are a free woman and can make your choices.

Same on white legs, or suntanned. However, I have NO reason to insult you or anyone else here. However, I did state at the beginning, I believed women should wear pantyhose or opaques depending on weather; to work place.

Understand ? I do not even know you Skittles and probably never shall, so please, understand me, and I did not say it was professional to not wear hose except at a Pool Bar, or other casual activity. However, I am a journalist, and thus, wear pantyhose ...

Thanks for all the feedback, and have lovely summer.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

Addie said:
I hope you wore jiggle shorts. The kind where the bottom of your buttocks hangs out and shakes as you walk? :LOL:

Well...I was a lot younger then. I didn't jiggle quite so much! I was in my 20's. Good legs (IMO), just big. Hubby loved them then as he does now, so no harm done. Too bad I don't see that guy now, I could prance around with more movement! LOL. :D

I dress professionally when I have to be on a client's site or working with clients. The standard re: professional dress is regional. In Ottawa, vs. Hull, which is across the river and in Quebec, there is a distinct difference re: attire suitable for the workplace. I just wear purple on top, black on the bottom. And, I have three pairs of purple shoes/boots. I'm self-employed, I don't adhere to corporate dress code or other nonsense. I sell my skills and expertise, not how I dress. If a client wants to pay my "panty hose" rate, I'll wear panty hose. Usually, when the client finds out it is $150 more / day, the client is okay with me not wearing panty hose (panty hose rate = you want me on site, you pay more for that). And yes, that is what I call that rate when talking with friends, my ph rate.

Last edited:
Margi Cintrano said:
Skittles,

Certainly, I had stated, if you re.read, that if I am in professional circumstances, I am professional meaning I always wear panty hose for professional meetings or for work days.

Please note, some women like men with hairy chests and others without hair on their chest. So, if one turns you off, you are a free woman and can make your choices.

Same on white legs, or suntanned. However, I have NO reason to insult you or anyone else here. However, I did state at the beginning, I believed women should wear pantyhose or opaques depending on weather; to work place.

Understand ? I do not even know you Skittles and probably never shall, so please, understand me, and I did not say it was professional to not wear hose except at a Pool Bar, or other casual activity. However, I am a journalist, and thus, wear pantyhose ...

Thanks for all the feedback, and have lovely summer.
Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

I understand what you meant, however, most people my age don't wear hose, whether or not they are in a professional situation. If they were tan, or naturally dark skinned I'm sure most people would think it looked fine. I appreciate your posts, and I don't think you were attacking me personally, just wanted to take the opportunity to point out the double standard that I feel.

I went to a memorial service for a very dear friend's grandma. There were many of us there (re: classmates). Not one of us was wearing hose. It was August, it was hot. We were all in appropriate attire--just not wearing hose. I used to remove my ph on the way home from the City. I couldn't wait to get rid of it--and I was very good about doing it while driving...(stopped at lights).

I think panty hose is highly overrated. It is not sexy (unlike nylons and garter belts), it is hot, and uncomfortable. Not only that, it doesn't last long. Down with panty hose IMO. A waste of money (although, I once worked with a woman who sent her laddered hose to her sister in Greece--she could have them rewoven for a quarter). And, panty hose don't keep your legs warm in the winter. On the other hand, a clean panty hose leg is handy for straining jelly, etc.

Last edited:
I, too, wore panty hose when I was gainfully employed. I agree that we should be way over tanned-looking skin being better looking, but it's been ingrained for a long time in our culture. For the first 25 or so years of my life, I mostly lived places where getting a "beautiful" tan was not really possible, and I've never had the patience for lying out to get one anyway. When I had tans, it was the kind on shoulders, chest, and forehead down to where my glasses hit my brow. My legs and the lower part of my face (below the glasses line and upper neck) were always white. Then my husband got orders for Hawaii, and I tried to tan until one day husband came home and said, "Bill's skin cancer is worse!" I laughed and he was appalled. NO! Not that it is funny, but that we know three Bills, all long-time (in two cases most of their lives) residents of that state, and all three had skin cancer. Time to re-think the entire concept of us haoles getting sun-tans.

Professional dress, dress period, is definitely regional. Not to mention a sign of the times. When I first moved here a lot of people threw parties in the winter; that's when I bought my winter wardrobe with my lovely skirts, boots, dress coat. Ten years later I rarely wear them and I miss it, but some friends just got too old to host parties.

I, too, like bright colors. My bottoms -- skirts, shorts, pants -- tend to be neutral, in the winter usually black or denim (white, off-white, khaki in summer) but very rarely are my tops -- then I go with lots of lovely color. I have a large collection of bright tunics that I wear with gauzy pants in summer, leggings, heavy slacks, and flannel-lined jeans in the worst of the cold weather. But I have many friends who dress the same year 'round in black. I'd find that so depressing, and now that I think of it, I think a lot of those friends may be prone to SAD!

Last edited:
Heels? In the aforementioned professional years I always wore simple, 3 1/2 inch pumps. I worked almost 100% with military men, and being already tall, it put me eye-to-eye with most of the guys I worked with. But after I stopped working for DoD, I started walking as much as possible, and soon had no heels at all. A number of years ago I had a couple of presentations to make and bought a pair of heels and I think maybe I've worn them a half dozen times. I never liked the style (for some reason I couldn't find the plain pumps I prefer and wound up with a mary jane type style I don't find flattering) and now all my shoes but that pair are walking shoes.

In Jr high school I used to wear stockings with a garter in the winter. These did keep my legs warm. Think knee socks at thigh height. Since we were not allowed to wear pants it sure did help. They did let is wear snow pants when we were outside, but in the building the socks were good at keeping us warm.

In the warm months, which is about 6-8 months of the year, lol, I wear a cotton Tshirt type shirt and shorts around the house. I'll put on capris or a sundress and sandals when I go out, though. Winter is jeans and a sweater, or tracksuit type outfit. I'm definitely not a dressy dress and heels gal, except for when I have to. :)

I grew up in Wyoming. One month of summer the rest was cold or cold and windy. I never learned to "do' my hair or dress up. Warmth was paramount and protection from the wind. Now that I am going through the season of eternal summer hormonally...I still cannot go out in public without being covered from neck to toes.

Jeans: Bleached or Deep Dark Navy

Buon Giorno,

JEANS ... have also been a jeans woman all my life ... i like stone wash light colored Levi Strauss in summer and spring, and am veered towards dark jeans with matching jacket for dress down fridays at work or going out for a casual dinner at wkends.

What about all of you ladies ?

Have great wkend and thanks so much for all your feedback and interesting replies.

Ciao, Margaux.

I, too, have worn jeans my entire life. I saw a picture of myself at age three, wearing jeans and studded denim jacket at an evening bbq at a hotel.

I am self-employed, so I seldom have to "dress for work". I like jeans with a bit of spandex, so they are more comfortable. I buy whatever is on sale and looks good and fits well. I have both blue and black jeans. I wear them more in the not-summer months.

As a child, being allowed to wear 'stockings' was a right of passage. It didn't happen until you graduated from H.S. So we would take an eyebrow pencil and draw a line up the back of our leg. Voila! We had on stockings. It look great with penny loafers.

Hey what do you want? I am a child of the 50's. I am an old lady. :cool:

As a child, being allowed to wear 'stockings' was a right of passage. It didn't happen until you graduated from H.S. So we would take an eyebrow pencil and draw a line up the back of our leg. Voila! We had on stockings. It look great with penny loafers.

Hey what do you want? I am a child of the 50's. I am an old lady. :cool:
When I was in jr. high school (middle school, nowadays), we had to wear skirts that covered our knees and we had to wear socks or stockings. My allowance was $0.50/week. Panty hose were $5.00/pair and stockings were $0.29/pair if they weren't on sale. We wore our garter belts over our panties (not convenient at all when using the washroom). The stockings weren't stretchy. So, you either wore them a bit loose and they bagged at the knees and ankles or you wore them tighter and they you had a white spot on your knee when you sat down. They came in "sheer", which laddered extremely easily and they came in "mesh", which only laddered upwards. We all had nail polish in our purses to stop the ladders. I have no good nostalgia for that part of the '60s.

Jeans...always. Except at work, no denim is allowed, even if we go in for classes, etc. We have to wear scrubs or dress pants. Must dress professionally.

Actually, we are allowed Jeans only certain days and certain times of the year for a donation of $5 to the Relay for Life (Cancer research) or the Residents Council. Bt, nursing in jeans is tough...too much bending and moving to be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom