"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #71
Master Chef

Heels? In the aforementioned professional years I always wore simple, 3 1/2 inch pumps. I worked almost 100% with military men, and being already tall, it put me eye-to-eye with most of the guys I worked with. But after I stopped working for DoD, I started walking as much as possible, and soon had no heels at all. A number of years ago I had a couple of presentations to make and bought a pair of heels and I think maybe I've worn them a half dozen times. I never liked the style (for some reason I couldn't find the plain pumps I prefer and wound up with a mary jane type style I don't find flattering) and now all my shoes but that pair are walking shoes.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #72
Executive Chef

In Jr high school I used to wear stockings with a garter in the winter. These did keep my legs warm. Think knee socks at thigh height. Since we were not allowed to wear pants it sure did help. They did let is wear snow pants when we were outside, but in the building the socks were good at keeping us warm.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #73
Master Chef

In the warm months, which is about 6-8 months of the year, lol, I wear a cotton Tshirt type shirt and shorts around the house. I'll put on capris or a sundress and sandals when I go out, though. Winter is jeans and a sweater, or tracksuit type outfit. I'm definitely not a dressy dress and heels gal, except for when I have to.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #74
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I grew up in Wyoming. One month of summer the rest was cold or cold and windy. I never learned to "do' my hair or dress up. Warmth was paramount and protection from the wind. Now that I am going through the season of eternal summer hormonally...I still cannot go out in public without being covered from neck to toes.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #75
Executive Chef

Jeans: Bleached or Deep Dark Navy

Buon Giorno,

JEANS ... have also been a jeans woman all my life ... i like stone wash light colored Levi Strauss in summer and spring, and am veered towards dark jeans with matching jacket for dress down fridays at work or going out for a casual dinner at wkends.

What about all of you ladies ?

Have great wkend and thanks so much for all your feedback and interesting replies.

Ciao, Margaux.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I, too, have worn jeans my entire life. I saw a picture of myself at age three, wearing jeans and studded denim jacket at an evening bbq at a hotel.

I am self-employed, so I seldom have to "dress for work". I like jeans with a bit of spandex, so they are more comfortable. I buy whatever is on sale and looks good and fits well. I have both blue and black jeans. I wear them more in the not-summer months.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

As a child, being allowed to wear 'stockings' was a right of passage. It didn't happen until you graduated from H.S. So we would take an eyebrow pencil and draw a line up the back of our leg. Voila! We had on stockings. It look great with penny loafers.

Hey what do you want? I am a child of the 50's. I am an old lady.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never owned a pair of jeans. Or dungerees as they were called in my day.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a child, being allowed to wear 'stockings' was a right of passage. It didn't happen until you graduated from H.S. So we would take an eyebrow pencil and draw a line up the back of our leg. Voila! We had on stockings. It look great with penny loafers.

Hey what do you want? I am a child of the 50's. I am an old lady.
When I was in jr. high school (middle school, nowadays), we had to wear skirts that covered our knees and we had to wear socks or stockings. My allowance was $0.50/week. Panty hose were $5.00/pair and stockings were $0.29/pair if they weren't on sale. We wore our garter belts over our panties (not convenient at all when using the washroom). The stockings weren't stretchy. So, you either wore them a bit loose and they bagged at the knees and ankles or you wore them tighter and they you had a white spot on your knee when you sat down. They came in "sheer", which laddered extremely easily and they came in "mesh", which only laddered upwards. We all had nail polish in our purses to stop the ladders. I have no good nostalgia for that part of the '60s.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Jeans...always. Except at work, no denim is allowed, even if we go in for classes, etc. We have to wear scrubs or dress pants. Must dress professionally.

Actually, we are allowed Jeans only certain days and certain times of the year for a donation of $5 to the Relay for Life (Cancer research) or the Residents Council. Bt, nursing in jeans is tough...too much bending and moving to be comfortable.