Laptop question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeninga75

Sous Chef
Has anyone had a laptop that shuts down if it over heats? I've had it almost 2 years now. It's a Gateway. I brought it to Best Buy about 3 months ago to fix after spilling a soda on it. For the past 3 or 4 weeks it's been shutting down on its own. I'm assuming it's because of overheating because I'll put my hand on the bottom and it's almost too hot to touch.

Is this a common thing? Or did they do something to it when I turned it over to Best Buy? By the way... The experience I had with Best Buy and this laptop has caused me to no longer buy electronics there so I don't want to bring it there if I don't have to.

I just got a laptop a couple months ago and the first thing I noticed is that there are all kinds of sleep modes on it, depending on if it is plugged in or not, too.
Did they monkey with your settings, Jen? Maybe it is shutting down, hibernating or going into sleep mode more quickly than it used to.

what did you have replaced ?
mother board?

i do not think dell has a automatic shutdown from overheating ..

Most newer computers do have the automatic overheat shutdown feature. My HP does and my new Dell does. Check the fan on it and also make sure all the vents and fans are clean and dust free. Also, never put it on a soft surface that might cover the vents or on your lap where the vent is covered.
If you are putting it on a hard surface with clearance for the vents and it is overheating (it should not be that hot to the touch which is why I think it is overheating), then you may need to either clean it real good or get new fans. If it was never kept clean to begin with, the bearings probably got gunked up and the rmps on the fan are too low for it to properly cool things like the memory and cpu.
Another thing to consider, silly as it may sound, is that if you had such a bad experience with Best Buy you may want to check and make sure they actually hooked the fans back up properly... or for that matter if they messed with the motherboard that they properly grounded it. Too much resistance because of insufficient grounding screws will also cause overheating. I found with my HP if I elevate it by placing something under the rear of the laptop it will not overheat. IE proping up the back of the laptop so the front is flat on the surface and the back is up a couple of inches minimum. This might help until you get it fixed.

Mav is right - most computers will shut down if the temp gets too high inside. It's a lot better than a fried CPU because it gives you a heads up that something's amiss. The newer your laptop (and hence the more powerful) the greater amount of heat it generates. Dust makes that worse. Propping it as Mav said is a very good way to keep it running cooler, as is a laptop cooling pad.

We buy cooling pads (I can't remember exactly what they are called) that are made for laptops to sit on. You can get them for a good price on ebay.

:)Barbara

Go with what mav says and also check to see if the actual fan is spinning. The soda could have caused the bearings to stick thus not allowing it to spin and properly cool the machine.

In order to do so, you have to open the laptop and take it apart to see if the fans are spinning. Also since you took it to best buy, make sure they hooked everything back up. I have made that mistake here at work and for got to hook up stuff.

college students are your friends. Find one in your neighborhood that is going into computers and see if he/she will help you out.

Laptops are not supposed to get "that" hot. Maybe something in the bios was turned off for fan controls.

good luck

My Toshiba overheats. :hammer:

They call it a laptop, but you can't rest it on your lap or your legs get burned or the stupid thing shuts down.

Who put the friggin cooling duct on the bottom!:bash:

Mine even overheats on the counter. I have to prop the back up with coasters...or my chef's knife sometimes. :angel:

It just shuts down, I wait a few minutes, then turn it back on.

The DW's HP works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't remember how much our laptop cooling pads cost, so I just checked ebay. They are running about $15 to $20 and a lot of them have free shipping. You can buy them where you buy computers also.

Ya'll are having the same problem, those cooling fan bearings don't last forever, once they go and start to stick it can no longer get the heat away and the laptop will shut down.
The vent on the bottom is only one direction it can go, the other is out the back. If yours does not have a back vent, then yea you will have problems placing it on your lap but should not have any problem placing it on a counter or other firm surface.
Bottom line is that while some laptops will not function well due to design on your lap, all should function just fine on a flat firm surface and if they don't you have a problem that needs fixing.
Laptop coolers will help, but not completely as they are not a replacement for a bad fan. They are mostly designed for laptops that don't do so well on your lap, LOL. So if your laptop functions great everywhere except on you lap, then get one and you will be fine.

Go with what mav says and also check to see if the actual fan is spinning. The soda could have caused the bearings to stick thus not allowing it to spin and properly cool the machine.

In order to do so, you have to open the laptop and take it apart to see if the fans are spinning. Also since you took it to best buy, make sure they hooked everything back up. I have made that mistake here at work and for got to hook up stuff.

college students are your friends. Find one in your neighborhood that is going into computers and see if he/she will help you out.

Laptops are not supposed to get "that" hot. Maybe something in the bios was turned off for fan controls.

good luck

A couple more good points, college students and checking Bios functions! Thanks LT!

...Laptop coolers will help, but not completely as they are not a replacement for a bad fan....
True--they are better as a preventative measure. :) A lot of laptops won't work at all once a drink has been spilled in them, so I guess shutting down when it overheats isn't the worst thing that could have happened.

I can attest to that, I have two Toshiba paper weights upstairs thanks to my 3 year old daughter and a large glass of fruit punch in each instance!!
And just a week apart too.... Grrrrrrr.

Thanks for the input guys. Seems some have the same problem and the cooling pad is an option.

I don't know what they did to it at Best Buy.

It's propped up right now with a small fan pointing at it... so far so good.

does anyone know the actual cut off temp.
for a lap top ?
dell or otherwise ...

Last edited:
True--they are better as a preventative measure. :) A lot of laptops won't work at all once a drink has been spilled in them, so I guess shutting down when it overheats isn't the worst thing that could have happened.

Oh yes, I learned this the hard way ... my laptop HATES coffee with cream! :wacko:

:) I have an older Dell refurbished from Ebay it works great I got it a couple years ago for $250.00 it seemed hot but doe's have the new battery that wont catch fire . I got it to go wireless to the living room. It seemed a bit warm so I set it on a cookie cooling rack so the air would pass through the bottom. No problems at all..

Back
Top Bottom