Larry found real "Soy Chicken" at a Vegetarian Chinese restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
We went out to eat tonight for my daughters 11'th birthday. She decided to go to a Vegetarian Chinese restaurant we go to a few times a year. Its about 45 minutes away, that is why we dont go so often, but because it is one of the few restaurants in our area where we can eat %100 of the stuff on the menu, it is always a nice, easy night out.

We arrived at 6pm ( no reservations). The restaurant was crowded, but we were seated immediately. Waited on immediately. The food was served in a timely fashion.

we ordered,

Hot and sour soup, wonton soup

spring rolls, veggie spare ribs

Mango Madness
protein nuggets, fresh mango slices, red & green bell peppers sauteed in chef's tangy special sauce.

Veggie Lo mein

A veggie steak strips served over sauteed watercress

Freshly squeezed orange juice, and orang-kiwi juice.

And went home with left overs.

Bill came to about $65 for the 4 of us, and the dinner was great, service was great ...

Sorry there was no dining or waiting excitement today, but its nice to get out and have a normal eating experience every once in awhile.

Green Melody Menu - JERICHO, NY, 11753 - Ratings, Reviews, The Greater Nassau-Suffolk Area

Attachments

• 103_1849.jpg
    103_1849.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 103_1850.jpg
    103_1850.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 175
Yeah, i almost didnt post this thread, but i wanted everyone to see the other side of my eating experiences. And not think im just a pain in the $%#& when i go out to eat.

Well, this place takes vegetarian food to the next level. They use top quality ingedients, and serve things ina very appetizing manner. Honestly, the food presentation was as nice as the Fancy steak house we went to the other day, and 1/5 the price. Sure vegetables are less expensive than a prime cut of meat, but what good did the meat do for me :-p since i dont eat it. It is not the typical chinese menu, as they put a lot of twists on everything. So even for me, it is a new experience everytime i go, and im not limited to veg chow mein, veg lo mein and buddhist delight

That looks really good and I am not any where close to being a vegitarian. But from the pics you posted, I would definately try it. I think I would rather try it not knowing it is a vegitarian dish.... just so I would know my honest reaction to the soy chicken. It looks wonderfully good!

That looks really good and I am not any where close to being a vegitarian. But from the pics you posted, I would definately try it. I think I would rather try it not knowing it is a vegitarian dish.... just so I would know my honest reaction to the soy chicken. It looks wonderfully good!

IM glad you think so. And Im sure many people with an open mind would think the same. One of the main reasons I posted these pics was to show the closed minded people that vegetarian food can be more than just a slab of tofu with sprouts on top next to a whole wheat toast and a glass of carrot juice. The food not only tastes good, but looks good too if the right effort is placed. Being vegetarian has , in m opinion, made me a better cook because I have to be more creative to get the tastes I want out of specific ingredients. And also , it gives me the inspiration to look far and wide for different cultures, cuisines that offer new tastes to give me more variety than im often offered at the typical restaurants. And by sharing my experiences and now pictures, I think the close minded person, although may never be willing to try it, at least sees that a vegetarian dish, if done properly, can do the same thing to the taste buds as a non vegatarian. And I appreciate the positive responses ive gotten here at this forum which makes me feel even more comfortable sharing my experiences with ya'all.

And in my opinion, the key to eating vegetarian chicken, burgers ....whatever ... is to not assume it will taste like chicken, beef ..., but to treat it is its own ingredient , texture, taste ... Too oten I hear people try something, and the first thing out of their mouth is " this doesnt taste anything like chicken .." But the way I look at it is, maybe it doesnt taste like chicken, but it is a product that can work well in the same kind of dish as the meat it is replacing. Some of the stuff taste kinda close, others are just the same color and shape. But to me, its like someone eatng veal parmesan and saying it doesnt taste like chicken parmesan, but they both taste good, so why cant tofu parmesan taste good too ?? ( THAT WAS A JOKE. Id rather eat meat than try tofu parmesan, but im sure you get my drift)

Anyway, I have no idea why im sitting here debating my self :) guess Im just stalling for time until the store opens

Back
Top Bottom