"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I know how you feel urmaniac! Those dusty, windy days are the worst! It sounds like your eyes are just as bad as mine! As my dad used to say, "I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other."

Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've know a few people who've had it done...
but
for me... I'd never be brave enough. What if something went wrong?
I'd rather be a lot blurry than blind.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I have heard it can fix astigmatism, or at least additional laser surgery can. I think though that for my liking the risks are a little too high, and you only have one set of peepers. I'm sticking with my sexy spectacles!!! My optometrist is trying to convince me to go with contacts, but I am too dappy for contacts, I'd lose em, or forget they were in and go into the pool and lose em etc etc.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Sous Chef

My sister had it done several years ago. She went to someone based on qualification, not price. Her recovery was several days, but she is very happy with the results. If I had the money I would see if I would be a good candidate. I do have some astigmatism and because of my age I would still need reading glasses. I do have contacts, but haven't worn them in awhile because of the reading glasses thing and laziness. and I have a pair of glasses I really like. I have the kind of no-frame frame. The nose piece and temples are drilled into the lenses and there are no hinges and (a biggie for me, they weigh almost nothing) My glasses are no-line bifocals so have the advantage of being able to see at all distances. Like some of you, I would be considered legally blind with the vision I have before correction.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
Head Chef

My opthalmologist wears eyeglasses. When I asked him why not have lasik, he said that this technology has not been around that long to rule out long term side effects. Also, he said that with lasik, your near-sightedness will get corrected but you'll end up needing reading glasses (whereas you didn't need them before). Seems that lasik will make you totally far-sighted. (Can anyone verify this?)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I think it depends on the skill of the surgeon. My sister's surgeon undercorrected one eye to push back the time she would need reading glasses. She is 44 and still does not need reading glasses.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I haven't been here in a few days, so I missed this topic. I had lasik surgery in October of 2002. I was fairly highly myopic and had a good amount of astigmatism. I was at the higher end of what they felt they could correct at that time. I worked for ophthalmologists for several years prior to this and so trusted the doctor to do a good job, and he did. I won't say that there weren't side effects for awhile, like dry eyes and somewhat variable vision. I was barely 20/400 without correction and now I'm 20/20. I was 20/20 within days of the surgery. I'm 47 years old, and because of my age, I need drug store readers for close work, although with good light, I can read the paper with no trouble uncorrected. If you want to talk in more detail about it - like how much astigmatism they can correct or other details like how it feels to have the surgery, feel free to send me a private message. I'm very happy with the results, but I had a good doctor and reasonable expectations.

BC
Old 02-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
My opthalmologist wears eyeglasses. When I asked him why not have lasik, he said that this technology has not been around that long to rule out long term side effects. Also, he said that with lasik, your near-sightedness will get corrected but you'll end up needing reading glasses (whereas you didn't need them before). Seems that lasik will make you totally far-sighted. (Can anyone verify this?)
To answer your question, when you get to a certain age, the lens in your eye, just like the rest of your body, just isn't as flexible as it used to be. When you're young, you can go from reading to distance vision easily, because your lens is flexible enough to accomodate. As you age, the lens can't do that anymore and you need readers if you never wore glasses, and bifocals (which is a reader built into your glasses) if you need glasses. So it's not lasik that makes you farsighted; it's age that makes you farsighted.

BC
Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #19
Head Chef

BC,

I'm sure my opthalmologist knows about the effects of age on the eyes, as do most people. Maybe he meant that lasik will accelerate the need for reading glasses -- which is new info to me.

Chopstix
Old 02-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
BC,

I'm sure my opthalmologist knows about the effects of age on the eyes, as do most people. Maybe he meant that lasik will accelerate the need for reading glasses -- which is new info to me.

Chopstix
That would be new info to me too. I've never heard anything like that. The closest thing to that news, as far as I know, is that generally nearsighted people need readers later in life than farsighted people, and also later in life than people who need no correction. Taking away their nearsightedness by doing lasik would put them into that second category, which may make them need their readers earlier. Maybe that's what he was saying??

BC