LCD or Plasma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
We are currently looking for a new 40-42 inch flat HD TV and my head is spinning from the slaes people. I looking for reccomndations on brands and any other issues you have run into.

Thanks,

JDP

I have a plasma, and love it. I think that LCD is also great, and it wont diminish over time. Also you can use them as you monitor, but that is where I would of prefered LCD as the screen won't etch because of static images.

Have you considered DLP? Not as sliming as the plasma or lcd, but the picture quality is amazing.

I was told about potential pixel burn out. Is this a problem that occurs in one more than the other?

JDP

you can`t get burn on LCD, you can on Any plasma though, some more readily than others, but it is an inherant problem with all of them for the time being.
I don`t have a list of makes/models that are better or worse than others, nor would I post it here if I had (Legal issues) but I`m sure it will be available on the net with the right Google search :)

Smallest in plasma is 42 in. accoding to consumer reports mag. with plasma,viewing angles are not a prob, with lcd, you may experience degrading quailty with viewing from an angle.--plasma are heavy,42 in. may weigh up to 100 lb. the lcd may way 50 lb.-- lcd is good for bright areas with its antireflective surface,more and more plasma are getting antireflective coatings.As far the the viewing angle I'm gonna ASSUME here,that its probably kinda like the newer laptops,whereas you can view your laptop from straight ahead,but from an angle you (and people near you)are not able to see the display somehow. It might not be so extreme with the tv though. I hope all that made sense. If not I'm sure somebody with REAL knowledge will come along and straightened my mess out :w00t2::bash:

DLP is digital light processing. It has more ranges of colors and the crispness is unmatched. HERE is some info on the techinical side of DLP.

And HERE is an article describing why one is better then the other.

There is (in the last year) a new technology out for plasmas where the screen will not 'burn in'. BUT I recommend LCD for the price. It will last 30,000 hours. Thats about 15 to 20 years for a NORMAL viewer.
They are less expensive too. If I had the money, I would get it at the place I get ALL my tech from. Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Great prices! And I have seen (going to trade shows) them all over. They are the Olevia brand. They look great!! :cool:

For the size that you are looking for you will pretty much only find LCD, not plasma.

I just bought a Sony 40 inch XBR2. It is most amazing set I have ever seen. All of the issues i have heard about with other LCD screens are not an issue with this one. The black level is fantastic and the viewing angle is 178 degrees.

This set has all the bells and whistles, but you pay for them. This was a very expensive TV, but I feel it was worth every penny.

Something you will want to pay attention to is what type of resolution you will be. 720p and 720i vs. 1080p and 1080i. Basically the higher the number the better and p is better than i. My TV is a 1080p. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p yet, but some day it will be and I will be ready.

I don't have time right now, but when I get home from work I can give you more info if you want.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for you responses so far they are very helpful and I feel more comfortable taking advice from someone who actually has one then from the sales people who may be commision driven.

Keep the responses coming. Next I will be seeking computer questions.

JDP

GB said:
For the size that you are looking for you will pretty much only find LCD, not plasma.

I just bought a Sony 40 inch XBR2. It is most amazing set I have ever seen. All of the issues i have heard about with other LCD screens are not an issue with this one. The black level is fantastic and the viewing angle is 178 degrees.

This set has all the bells and whistles, but you pay for them. This was a very expensive TV, but I feel it was worth every penny.

Something you will want to pay attention to is what type of resolution you will be. 720p and 720i vs. 1080p and 1080i. Basically the higher the number the better and p is better than i. My TV is a 1080p. Nothing is broadcast in 1080p yet, but some day it will be and I will be ready.

I don't have time right now, but when I get home from work I can give you more info if you want.
We just bought the Sony Bravia V (1080p) in a 40-inch. Your model, I believe, had a bezel that made it just an inch or two too large for our space. We also bought a Sony 32-inch for our bedroom. Expensive, yes, but an amazing change from our beloved old tube TVs.

The December '06 issue of Consumer Reports has a nice side-by-side comparison of LCD, plasma, rear-projection, front projectors, and picture-tubes. There were more "pluses" and fewer "lows" for the LCDs than for the other options, but as you mention, it depends upon the desired size.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
LCDs and plasmas are the governments doing. They read your brain waves! :shifty: Just kidding of course. :blink:
:boxing:
BRAIN WAVES??
My brain is not wavy! Since this is a food thingy,i've been told my gravy is wavy:boxing::w00t2::w00t2: wow I REALLY am freekin nuts! :cool:

I'm waiting for a while.
"
IT'S being hailed by its developers as the next revolution in visual technology - a laser television that will make plasma screens obsolete.
Soon-to-be-listed Australian company Arasor International and its US partner Novalux unveiled what they claimed to be the world's first laser television in Sydney today, with a pitch that it would be half the price, twice as good, and use a quarter of the electricity of conventional plasma and LCD TVs.
Manufacturing company Arasor produces the unique optoelectronic chip central to the laser projection device being developed by Silicon Valley-based Novalux, which is being used by a number of television manufacturers.
And displayed beside a conventional 50 inch plasma TV this afternoon, the Mitsubishi-built prototype does appear brighter and clearer than its “older” rival.
With a worldwide launch date scheduled for Christmas 2007, under recognisable brands like Mitsubishi and Samsung, Novalux chief executive Jean-Michel Pelaprat is so bold as to predict the death of plasma.
“If you look at any screen today, the colour content is roughly about 30-35 per cent of what the eye can see,” he said.
“But for the very first time with a laser TV we'll be able to see 90 per cent of what the eye can see.
“All of a sudden what you see is a lifelike image on display.”
Combine that with energy efficiency, price advantage and the fact that the laser TVs will be half the weight and depth of plasma TVS, and Mr Pelaprat says “plasma is now something of the past”.
Mr Pelaprat predicted LCD TVs would come to dominate the market below 40 inches, and laser television the market above that screen size, displacing plasma.
The optoelectronic chip-laser technology won't be confined to TVs.
The technology is also being trialled in mobile phones, where it will be used to project images onto any surface, and in home theatres and cinemas.
The unveiling of the laser TV prototype was held on the eve of Arasor's public float on the Australian Stock Exchange next week."

Story from last October (2006).......

Back
Top Bottom