"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

gw, you are a man out of sync with time.

most people are used to pre-packaged/semi-homemade foodstuffs and have to learn to cook from scratch. you're doing it the other way.

i will admit to making tom yum soup from a paste in a jar, with added fresh ingredients like chicken, scalions, and mushrooms. it's one of those things that actually taste better than what i can make from scratch.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef

My sister and I are compiling a cookbook for the young guys (and gals, too) who are living on their own and have no idea how to boil water. We are doing very basic recipes and methods along with some they can use to make changes.
I like homemade dressings, sauces, etc and most of the time I make them, however, I do keep on hand some shortcuts for when time is of the essence. One of my aunts commented once on my gravy saying she had never had such good gravy. She is well into her 80's and doesn't make gravy. How hard can good gravy be from scratch!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I used to make (note the past tense) my own Hollandaise from scratch for asparagus or eggs. One night, after a long day of fixing lunches for others, I was too tired and short on time. I was making seafood omelets for dinner and I picked up a package of Knorr Hollandaise for them. I hid the packets in the trash so Shrek might not notice that I had cheated. After our meal he commented that I had just served the BEST Hollandaise he had ever tasted.

I got the packets out of the trash to show him and have never made it from scratch again.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What kind do you like? Around here there's McCormick's, Old El Paso and Ortega. I like Ortega's seasoning, but Old El Paso's shells (they are lighter, plus they come in a large size). So buying the taco dinner packages are out
It's an off brand sold at Sav-A-Lot "Marcum" (39). I first bought it because it was cheap, but after trying all of the brands at one time or another, I prefer this brand because I like the taste best.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, .39 is cheap. Nice price.

I've heard good things about that Knorr's Hollandaise sauce, PF.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Wow, .39 is cheap. Nice price.

I've heard good things about that Knorr's Hollandaise sauce, PF.
Will give it a try! My mom called while she and I were both watching Ann Burrel making Eggs Benedict, wondering what Eggs Benedict was. I'll tell her about Knorr.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Will give it a try! My mom called while she and I were both watching Ann Burrel making Eggs Benedict, wondering what Eggs Benedict was. I'll tell her about Knorr.
They make all kinds of yummy sauces and can usually be found on the top shelf with the rest of the gravy and sauce packets. They are yellow and green.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

They make all kinds of yummy sauces and can usually be found on the top shelf with the rest of the gravy and sauce packets. They are yellow and green.
I always found their vegetable soup mix made the best dip. They've been around forever, I think they were bought up by somebody. Have not checked out their other stuff, good to know!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have a spicy spaghetti seasoning mix that I use quite often when I don't have the time to cut up veggies. It is very good, and like others here, I use taco seasoning. The funny thing is that I didn't realize until I was a young adult that there were packaged gravy mix or sloppy Joe mix. I just always made them from scotch, and thought everyone else did too. I still can't bring myself to use sloppy Joe mix. Just doesn't taste right!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Auto correct changed my scratch to scotch. I actually don't make it from scotch!!!