Learning something new.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a believer in using an occasional shortcut. Sure, from-scratch stock is better. But sometimes it doesn't work that way. So I keep containers of Swanson's (or whatever I can get locally) in the pantry. I like to put Lipton's soup mixes in my meat loaf or meatballs to "beef" up the flavor. And don't we all like a taste of childhood sometimes? Sometimes those re-visits to childhood, though, can be disastrously salty (the last time I bought rice-a-roni, for example). So you need to be judicious.

Last edited:
chopper said:
Auto correct changed my scratch to scotch. I actually don't make it from scotch!!!

Nothing wrong with scotch! :LOL:

I like Lipton too. Costco has a great chicken broth (when we can get there) with less sodium than Swanson Reduced Sodium.

Hidden Valley dry ranch dressing mix in yogurt is good too.

Ain't it the truth, so much salt in stuff.

Last edited:
Ranch dressing packets are good things to have laying around. It makes for a nice dry seasoning for chicken, too, or melted in butter and poured on chicken wings.

I used to season quite a bit with Ranch Valley, but, in fact, I discovered Penzeys creamy peppercorn and green goddess seasonings and like them better. Oh, and from another line, I like Good Seasons Italian, Zesty Italian, and Garlic & Herb -- for dressings, but also to season other things. With all of them, no other salt needed. My favorite artichoke dip (much requested for parties) is made with it.

Claire said:
I used to season quite a bit with Ranch Valley, but, in fact, I discovered Penzeys creamy peppercorn and green goddess seasonings and like them better. Oh, and from another line, I like Good Seasons Italian, Zesty Italian, and Garlic & Herb -- for dressings, but also to season other things. With all of them, no other salt needed. My favorite artichoke dip (much requested for parties) is made with it.

Penzeys truly rocks! I have most of their spices (hence the dedicated free standing spice cabinet) but have not tried their dressings yet. Good Seasons rocks as well! Still loving the HV.

Last edited:
Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix is the only seasoning I use in my potato salad. Along with a capful of vinegar per packet. It was always asked for when having a pot luck picnic, and I never had any leftover.

Penzeys truly rocks! I have most of their spices (hence the dedicated free standing spice cabinet) but have not tried their dressings yet. Good Seasons rocks as well! Still loving the HV.

I didn't even know they had dry dressing seasoning packets.

Zhizara said:
Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix is the only seasoning I use in my potato salad. Along with a capful of vinegar per packet. It was always asked for when having a pot luck picnic, and I never had any leftover.

I made my last potato salad using your trick, Zhizara, and you were right, absolutely delicious!

Not sure if they're in packets, might be in the little jars or pouches.

Last edited:
Not sure they're in packets, they might be in the little jars or pouches.

I guess I meant that they even had premixed dressings.
Seems like I searched their before for herbs de provence and could not find it, and now they have it. Maybe they are expanding or I'm just not aware of all they have.

I've never been one to use pre-packaged seasonings, mixes, sauces, etc. I've always enjoyed making things from scratch, usually inventing as I go. But we had a pot luck at work today, with a breakfast theme. One person made eggs benedict (I brought in an electric griddle) and used a pre-packaged hollandaise sauce mix. It was pretty good. Another co-worker made sausage and gravy, using a pre-made sauce mix. It was very good.

Now don't get me wrong. I will still make my food from scratch. But in a pinch, when I don't have time to make my own Hollandaise, or sausage gravy, or whatever, I might consider using a pre-made packet.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry dad, but I have to call you on this one. Lipton noodle soup in Ralph, Better than Bullion for a quick chicken stock. You used to put a packet of brown gravy mix that you could only find at Neville's in with your slow cooked roasts. Cream of mushroom soup with sour cream to make stroganoff, chile con carne bricks when we lived in SoCal, taco seasoning mixes when we were kids. Kraft Mac and Cheese with Velveeta added. You even used to make Hamburger helper and you can't say that you didn't because I lost count a long time ago of how many times you've said you used to think it made a "good home cooked meal". :-p Ramen noodle packets as seasoning for stirfry served over ramen noodles or used to season fried rice, pancake mixes :ohmy: (yes, there was a time when he didn't make them from scratch), V8 as a base for chili (you used to swear it was the best chili base). Curry mixes and Chinese 5 spice mix (just because they don't say Mrs. Dash or Ortega doesn't mean they aren't still premixed spices). A can of ready made baked beans with hotdogs cut up and cooked in them. You've made lots of things that were only sort of from scratch and a few that weren't from scratch at all. :)

I guess I meant that they even had premixed dressings.
Seems like I searched their before for herbs de provence and could not find it, and now they have it. Maybe they are expanding or I'm just not aware of all they have.

No, they come in jars, not premixed or packets. Ther is the small size if you want to just try it, the larger size if you know you'll use it, and an even larger sizes as well. Their Sicilian dressing mix is wonderful as well. Their herbes de Provence is #13354 in the medium jar in their latest catalog.

How do I know? I do a lot of mail order/computer shopping and the household rule is to put the catalog you want me to order from on the desk. I order and put the catalog on the shelf until the order comes in. I don't really llike to shop on line, I shop the catalogs then order on line. So now there is the catalog sitting next to me, waiting for me to order some Penzey's!

No, they come in jars, not premixed or packets. Ther is the small size if you want to just try it, the larger size if you know you'll use it, and an even larger sizes as well. Their Sicilian dressing mix is wonderful as well. Their herbes de Provence is #13354 in the medium jar in their latest catalog.

How do I know? I do a lot of mail order/computer shopping and the household rule is to put the catalog you want me to order from on the desk. I order and put the catalog on the shelf until the order comes in. I don't really llike to shop on line, I shop the catalogs then order on line. So now there is the catalog sitting next to me, waiting for me to order some Penzey's!

All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll clip the recipes.

All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll clip the recipes.

I made their three tacos before, the edition that had three different tacos on the cover and the recipes inside. I might have even made all three the same night, I don't remember. The portobello taco was my favorite.

I just happened to notice the herbs de provence last catalog, Claire and have some in my cupboard right now :)
I searched their site before and nothing turned up, so I'm thinking it's new.

PrincessFiona60 said:

Me too! I also save the Relish mag that comes in the paper once a month. Penzey's stores smell so good...

I made their three tacos before, the edition that had three different tacos on the cover and the recipes inside. I might have even made all three the same night, I don't remember. The portobello taco was my favorite.

I just happened to notice the herbs de provence last catalog, Claire and have some in my cupboard right now :)
I searched their site before and nothing turned up, so I'm thinking it's new.

Do you still have the portabello taco recipe? I'd love to check it out.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom