"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I made my last potato salad using your trick, Zhizara, and you were right, absolutely delicious!

You did?! Thanks for the feedback. I love it too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I've never been one to use pre-packaged seasonings, mixes, sauces, etc. I've always enjoyed making things from scratch, usually inventing as I go. But we had a pot luck at work today, with a breakfast theme. One person made eggs benedict (I brought in an electric griddle) and used a pre-packaged hollandaise sauce mix. It was pretty good. Another co-worker made sausage and gravy, using a pre-made sauce mix. It was very good.

Now don't get me wrong. I will still make my food from scratch. But in a pinch, when I don't have time to make my own Hollandaise, or sausage gravy, or whatever, I might consider using a pre-made packet.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Sorry dad, but I have to call you on this one. Lipton noodle soup in Ralph, Better than Bullion for a quick chicken stock. You used to put a packet of brown gravy mix that you could only find at Neville's in with your slow cooked roasts. Cream of mushroom soup with sour cream to make stroganoff, chile con carne bricks when we lived in SoCal, taco seasoning mixes when we were kids. Kraft Mac and Cheese with Velveeta added. You even used to make Hamburger helper and you can't say that you didn't because I lost count a long time ago of how many times you've said you used to think it made a "good home cooked meal". Ramen noodle packets as seasoning for stirfry served over ramen noodles or used to season fried rice, pancake mixes (yes, there was a time when he didn't make them from scratch), V8 as a base for chili (you used to swear it was the best chili base). Curry mixes and Chinese 5 spice mix (just because they don't say Mrs. Dash or Ortega doesn't mean they aren't still premixed spices). A can of ready made baked beans with hotdogs cut up and cooked in them. You've made lots of things that were only sort of from scratch and a few that weren't from scratch at all.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Sorry dad, but I have to call you on this one...
Aha! Exposed!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

BUSTED!!! GW, you fraud. You're just like the rest of us!!!!

...well, almost.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I guess I meant that they even had premixed dressings.
Seems like I searched their before for herbs de provence and could not find it, and now they have it. Maybe they are expanding or I'm just not aware of all they have.
No, they come in jars, not premixed or packets. Ther is the small size if you want to just try it, the larger size if you know you'll use it, and an even larger sizes as well. Their Sicilian dressing mix is wonderful as well. Their herbes de Provence is #13354 in the medium jar in their latest catalog.

How do I know? I do a lot of mail order/computer shopping and the household rule is to put the catalog you want me to order from on the desk. I order and put the catalog on the shelf until the order comes in. I don't really llike to shop on line, I shop the catalogs then order on line. So now there is the catalog sitting next to me, waiting for me to order some Penzey's!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
No, they come in jars, not premixed or packets. Ther is the small size if you want to just try it, the larger size if you know you'll use it, and an even larger sizes as well. Their Sicilian dressing mix is wonderful as well. Their herbes de Provence is #13354 in the medium jar in their latest catalog.

How do I know? I do a lot of mail order/computer shopping and the household rule is to put the catalog you want me to order from on the desk. I order and put the catalog on the shelf until the order comes in. I don't really llike to shop on line, I shop the catalogs then order on line. So now there is the catalog sitting next to me, waiting for me to order some Penzey's!
All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment, I'll clip the recipes.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment, I'll clip the recipes.
I made their three tacos before, the edition that had three different tacos on the cover and the recipes inside. I might have even made all three the same night, I don't remember. The portobello taco was my favorite.

I just happened to notice the herbs de provence last catalog, Claire and have some in my cupboard right now
I searched their site before and nothing turned up, so I'm thinking it's new.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Me too! I also save the Relish mag that comes in the paper once a month. Penzey's stores smell so good...
Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I made their three tacos before, the edition that had three different tacos on the cover and the recipes inside. I might have even made all three the same night, I don't remember. The portobello taco was my favorite.

I just happened to notice the herbs de provence last catalog, Claire and have some in my cupboard right now
I searched their site before and nothing turned up, so I'm thinking it's new.
Do you still have the portabello taco recipe? I'd love to check it out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Do you still have the portabello taco recipe? I'd love to check it out.
Let me go dig around in a bit. I'm pretty sure I saved it.
It used to be on their website, but it isn't coming up