"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I made my last potato salad using your trick, Zhizara, and you were right, absolutely delicious!

You did?! Thanks for the feedback. I love it too.
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #32
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I've never been one to use pre-packaged seasonings, mixes, sauces, etc. I've always enjoyed making things from scratch, usually inventing as I go. But we had a pot luck at work today, with a breakfast theme. One person made eggs benedict (I brought in an electric griddle) and used a pre-packaged hollandaise sauce mix. It was pretty good. Another co-worker made sausage and gravy, using a pre-made sauce mix. It was very good.

Now don't get me wrong. I will still make my food from scratch. But in a pinch, when I don't have time to make my own Hollandaise, or sausage gravy, or whatever, I might consider using a pre-made packet.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Sorry dad, but I have to call you on this one. Lipton noodle soup in Ralph, Better than Bullion for a quick chicken stock. You used to put a packet of brown gravy mix that you could only find at Neville's in with your slow cooked roasts. Cream of mushroom soup with sour cream to make stroganoff, chile con carne bricks when we lived in SoCal, taco seasoning mixes when we were kids. Kraft Mac and Cheese with Velveeta added. You even used to make Hamburger helper and you can't say that you didn't because I lost count a long time ago of how many times you've said you used to think it made a "good home cooked meal". Ramen noodle packets as seasoning for stirfry served over ramen noodles or used to season fried rice, pancake mixes (yes, there was a time when he didn't make them from scratch), V8 as a base for chili (you used to swear it was the best chili base). Curry mixes and Chinese 5 spice mix (just because they don't say Mrs. Dash or Ortega doesn't mean they aren't still premixed spices). A can of ready made baked beans with hotdogs cut up and cooked in them. You've made lots of things that were only sort of from scratch and a few that weren't from scratch at all.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Sorry dad, but I have to call you on this one...
Aha! Exposed!

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,387
BUSTED!!! GW, you fraud. You're just like the rest of us!!!!

...well, almost.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #35
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I guess I meant that they even had premixed dressings.
Seems like I searched their before for herbs de provence and could not find it, and now they have it. Maybe they are expanding or I'm just not aware of all they have.
No, they come in jars, not premixed or packets. Ther is the small size if you want to just try it, the larger size if you know you'll use it, and an even larger sizes as well. Their Sicilian dressing mix is wonderful as well. Their herbes de Provence is #13354 in the medium jar in their latest catalog.

How do I know? I do a lot of mail order/computer shopping and the household rule is to put the catalog you want me to order from on the desk. I order and put the catalog on the shelf until the order comes in. I don't really llike to shop on line, I shop the catalogs then order on line. So now there is the catalog sitting next to me, waiting for me to order some Penzey's!
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
No, they come in jars, not premixed or packets. Ther is the small size if you want to just try it, the larger size if you know you'll use it, and an even larger sizes as well. Their Sicilian dressing mix is wonderful as well. Their herbes de Provence is #13354 in the medium jar in their latest catalog.

How do I know? I do a lot of mail order/computer shopping and the household rule is to put the catalog you want me to order from on the desk. I order and put the catalog on the shelf until the order comes in. I don't really llike to shop on line, I shop the catalogs then order on line. So now there is the catalog sitting next to me, waiting for me to order some Penzey's!
All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment, I'll clip the recipes.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment, I'll clip the recipes.
I made their three tacos before, the edition that had three different tacos on the cover and the recipes inside. I might have even made all three the same night, I don't remember. The portobello taco was my favorite.

I just happened to notice the herbs de provence last catalog, Claire and have some in my cupboard right now
I searched their site before and nothing turned up, so I'm thinking it's new.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

All of the Penzey's get saved because of the recipes. Some day when I have a moment, I'll clip the recipes.
Me too! I also save the Relish mag that comes in the paper once a month. Penzey's stores smell so good...
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I made their three tacos before, the edition that had three different tacos on the cover and the recipes inside. I might have even made all three the same night, I don't remember. The portobello taco was my favorite.

I just happened to notice the herbs de provence last catalog, Claire and have some in my cupboard right now
I searched their site before and nothing turned up, so I'm thinking it's new.
Do you still have the portabello taco recipe? I'd love to check it out.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Do you still have the portabello taco recipe? I'd love to check it out.
Let me go dig around in a bit. I'm pretty sure I saved it.
It used to be on their website, but it isn't coming up
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.