"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Master Chef

Learning something new.

I've never been one to use pre-packaged seasonings, mixes, sauces, etc. I've always enjoyed making things from scratch, usually inventing as I go. But we had a pot luck at work today, with a breakfast theme. One person made eggs benedict (I brought in an electric griddle) and used a pre-packaged hollandaise sauce mix. It was pretty good. Another co-worker made sausage and gravy, using a pre-made sauce mix. It was very good.

Now don't get me wrong. I will still make my food from scratch. But in a pinch, when I don't have time to make my own Hollandaise, or sausage gravy, or whatever, I might consider using a pre-made packet.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

Agreed, also prefer making things from scratch but we had the best fishcakes ever tonight from the Woolworths frozen food section. Moist and full of nice big pieces of fish with loads of garlic and herbs! They make great pasta sauces in glass jars as well as yummy Custard Tarts etc.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

You should really let yourself go sometime, GW

Look at it like this, a lot of the prepackaged items were made from using a whole bunch of individual ingredients
Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Look at it like this, a lot of the prepackaged items were made from using a whole bunch of individual ingredients

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

But, it doesn't hurt to be picky about those packaged mixes...I don't buy anything a second time if I can do it better. If it is up to my standards...it takes it's place in my pantry.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh no, it doesn't hurt to be picky. I call it buying something you like. I won't buy Hunt's Catsup. I much prefer the flavor and texture of Heinz Ketchup. And making ketchup from scratch is probably pretty easy, but why not buy it already made? The making everything from scratch concept is pretty cool though, for those that make everything from scratch.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I like the concept of Sandra Lee's show, "Semi-Homemade." I'm not crazy about her, but the ideas are helpful for someone who doesn't have the time, energy or even the desire to do it all from scratch.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I like the concept of Sandra Lee's show, "Semi-Homemade." I'm not crazy about her, but the ideas are helpful for someone who doesn't have the time, energy or even the desire to do it all from scratch.
It beats fast food
I don't think any less of my homemade tacos because I tear open a packet of Ortega seasoning
I actually tried making homemade taco seasoning. Nice flavor, but serious heartburn would follow. I don't get heartburn eating the packaged stuff that some say is too salty. Nothing wrong with shortcuts.
I think the whole concept of making eggs benedict for the office is cool enough in itself. Who cares if the hollandaise sauce came from a packet, lol.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I do too. Living single, it's impractical to make lots of things from scratch. I thought about making "real" gazpacho. I'd have to buy at least one of each of the fresh vegetables, and it would make more than I have room to store.

By using store brand chunky salsa, not only do I have all the veggies, already cut up, but they're still crunchy!

I also use a particular brand of taco seasoning mix. It gives me the flavor I like best consistently.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I do too. Living single, it's impractical to make lots of things from scratch. I thought about making "real" gazpacho. I'd have to buy at least one of each of the fresh vegetables, and it would make more than I have room to store.

By using store brand chunky salsa, not only do I have all the veggies, already cut up, but they're still crunchy!

I also use a particular brand of taco seasoning mix. It gives me the flavor I like best consistently.
What kind do you like? Around here there's McCormick's, Old El Paso and Ortega. I like Ortega's seasoning, but Old El Paso's shells (they are lighter, plus they come in a large size). So buying the taco dinner packages are out