LEAST liked Herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Herbs and spices

LOL I'm am SOOOO not a cook that I don't know the difference between herbs and spices so I'll just mention all of my dislikes lol.
I can't stand Dill, curry or anything to do with mustard. Not crazy about Terragon.

Took me a while to acquire a taste for Vietnamese mint. But I love caraway.

Did any of you northerners have seed cake when you were growing up? A madeira cake with caraway seeds in it. I was crazy about it. And I love cheese spiked with caraway. There is a chunk in my fridge as we speak... And The Spouse doesn't like it much :)

I love all herbs! (although, I'm sure there are some I've not yet tried)
Hey, patch - could you post that recipe in the cake forum? I'd LOVE to see it!!!

I think I like all herbs, adding the caveat: "if used appropriately".

Some people like certain herbs and they seem to think that if a little is good, then a heaping pile of it must be excellent! No. Flavors need to be balanced to enhance the flavor of food... not overwhelmed or killed by a single ingredient.

I like almost all herbs (I try never to say never or always, heck there may be something out there I hate herb-wise, but have not met it yet), but agree with everyone that it is easy to over-do some. I feel rosemary needs to be done in moderation, and there are a multitude of "licorice" flavored herbs that can be overpowering. Cilantro was definitely an acquired taste. When I first moved to Hawaii, I would go to these places called delicatessens in Honolulu on my lunch hour. They were actually Asian cafeterias. I decided I hated cilantro. Now if I don't taste that sharp flavor in my fresh salsas or Thai or Vietnamese dishes, it feels like something is missing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom