Leaving for Dominican Republic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
It's 12:20 AM right now, my taxi arrives at 2 AM, the flight leaves at 6AM, we arrive in Dominican at 10AM, just in time to start a fresh(?:blink:?) day.

I'll be in Dominican in an all inclusive resort. I have no idea where. But does it matter when food and drink is free? I'll be gone until February 4th. I don't know if I'll have much access to computers, so I don't know if I'll be updating with you guys. I'll try though.

I may not be online right on February 4th, because my girlfriend got me to take extra time off work to go see her. So I'll be at her school from the 4th to the 10th. But I'll most likely be online sometime there.

So have a nice week and I'll talk to you guys when I get back, maybe sooner.

\/

Alex

Last edited:
Tell us (or at least, ME) all about the island and the resort when you get back, gobo.

I am looking for a place in the Caribbean to spend a week's vacation this summer, and I've never been to the Dominican.

Lee

I knew a guy who used to vacation there every year about this time. All I can say is, enjoy yourself! Closest I've ever gotten was Key West.

Have a blast, Alex... and get some sun on your skin, you are bit too much of a mozzarella!! (an Italian slang for a pale person):LOL:

I'm not that pale. You haven't seen my brother.

Catalonia Bavaro resort is the resort.

So far the trip has been great. Wow when I got here I was so tired. I hadn't slept in 36 hours. I had been drinking when I got there, I slept like a rock until around 2pm the next day.

Just today I went out on a cruise to the ocean and we swam with sharks and sting rays. It was really cool. The water is very very salty. I got pretty close to some of the sharks. Me and this girl who was there were swimming up to a group of them and one turned and swam our way. The girl actually turned and swam away, and the shark went just under my feet. It was cool. They are probably around the same length as our height.... or mine. There were also alot of other fish. I liked swimming through the schools of little fish.

The resort is really nice. But most of the people speak spanish so asking for help or communicating is very difficult. There are alot of people here from Canada right now, but they are all from Quebec (the french part of Canada).

The resort has alot of fun activities during the day, we play some pool games. Then we play water polo, then soccer, then vollyball or something else, then they do arobics, and i walk away. :D

It crazy how valueable money is here. You can tip a bartender $1 american, and he'll never let you go drinkless. It was pretty sad during the drive to the boat. I saw a family of like 7 people I could see sitting outside try to cleaning their clothes and make dinner outside of their tiny shack made out of rusted sheet metal.

Tomorrow is a kick back day. Nothing outside of the resort. So I'll sit back, play some water polo and soccer, have a few drinks, make a few trips to the buffet, and thursday we go out to the ocean again for who knows what.

It has been great so far! I'll try to get back to you guys at least once more. The internet here is $10 an hour... a little more than the bar :P hahah

See ya \/

Alex

Today I went snorkling again, I saw alot more fish and only 2 sharks this time. It was in the Atlantic Ocean instead of the Carribean Sea this time. It was alright. Tomorrow I am going ATVing, it should be pretty sweet.
Yesterday I was playing water polo in the pool. I managed to score 17 goals! But now my feet are really messed up because of the rough floor in the shallow end of the pool. My feet are covered with cuts and blisters, and the tops are now sunburnt. Today stepping into that sea water stung so much, it was almost unbareable.
Tomorrow is my last full day. I leave the resort at 9 30 on Sunday, and my flight leaves at 12. I should be at my house by around 7, with just enough time to repack my bag and catch the train to my girlfriends for the next week.

Talk to you later.

Alex

Vacations are painfully wonderful. :huh: It's about time you gave the princess a thought! :cool: Hope you and your girl have a wonderful week together.

See you back here soon; Thanks for sharing!

I love snorkeling too, swimming with fishies is sooo cool!! Though I would never have the nerve to share a fun with sharks... Have you taken some underwater photos? That would be awesome!!

But for pete's sake, if you are going to play water polo make sure you are in an appropriate pool... you should never play it in such a shallow water especially it has a bottom like that!! Poor feet! I hope they won't limit you from maxing out your holiday...

It is a sad feeling when your holiday is nearing its end, try not to think about it, and live for the moment!!:)

urmaniac13 said:
I love snorkeling too, swimming with fishies is sooo cool!! Though I would never have the nerve to share a fun with sharks... Have you taken some underwater photos? That would be awesome!!

But for pete's sake, if you are going to play water polo make sure you are in an appropriate pool... you should never play it in such a shallow water especially it has a bottom like that!! Poor feet! I hope they won't limit you from maxing out your holiday...

It is a sad feeling when your holiday is nearing its end, try not to think about it, and live for the moment!!:)

Oh yes, many pictures. My dad had the camera, so he didnt get a photo of the pack of 9 sharks me and this one girls got to see.

The pool was fine. It was just the its easier to run with the ball in the shallow end. See, I would stand there and they would throw me the ball, and before anyone could swim to me, I´d run to the other end, and jump sideways and deak out the keeper, and score. Even then they were near me, I could still outrun and swim them all. Muahaha. They called me the fish dinger. Fish, cause I was so fast in the water, and dinger cause I always got the goals.

I have actually been limping. It´s very painful, and I could barely stand the pain in the shower today. But it´s not stopping me. I played soccer not 4 hours ago, and won. I´m going ATVing tomorrow and coming back just in time to catch another game of soccer. ;)

What an awesome experience you've had, Gobo! Or, should I call you Fishdinger? Nah, I like Gobo better.

How is the food? Any great dishes you want to replicate back in Canada?

PS - I know it's too late now, but watersocks may have been a good option to bring into the pool....

Have fun for all of us who are vacationing vicariously through you.

jkath said:
What an awesome experience you've had, Gobo! Or, should I call you Fishdinger? Nah, I like Gobo better.

How is the food? Any great dishes you want to replicate back in Canada?

PS - I know it's too late now, but watersocks may have been a good option to bring into the pool....

Have fun for all of us who are vacationing vicariously through you.

There isn´t really anything new here at all. They make food according to what style day it is. Today was dominican day, yesterday was mexican day. But really all I have seen it, pork, veal, steak, chicken, bacon, sausage, and seafood. Nothing special, nothing really out of the ordinary. But it was pretty good.

I have watershoes, but I don´t like them. They get too heavy when water collects, and they collect alot of sand, and are very uncomfortable.

I will bring many photos.

I´m out now. My time is up. It´s $10 an hour to go online... yet I can drink all day and only leave $3 in tips leaving the bartender very happy. :LOL:

See ya

ATVing was great! It´s up there with swimming with the sharks as my favorite thing. I went to a Mexican place tonight. They do this weird shooter there. You get this pink tequila and they smack it off the table a couple times, then you drink, then they shake your head around and scream tequila. Hehe...

Flight leaves tomorrow around noon.

Talk to you later.

Alex

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom