"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

At first I thought for sure the question was gonna be "can I cook it".
Me too!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Head Chef

We left a bunch of asaparagus in the car for several days once. Had gone to a farmer's market and had bought a bunch of veges. It rolled out of the bag and under the seat. We were both putting stuff away so didn't realize it wasn't there. I don't drive a lot so until I went to cook it one night for dinner later in the week we didn't find it. It had literally liquified in the S Fla sun/temps and was in a paper bag so we would have had to take the seat out and rip the carpet out. I ended up blotting up as much as I could out of the carpet, dumped some baking soda on it to soak up rest of liquid. After a day, cleaned up the baking soda, added some more and kept doing that for a while. We also left the windows open a crack nearly all the time and wide open when we could. The smell eventually went away. I don't even want to imagine what chicken smelled like after finding out what veges can smell like when they rot. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Several weeks is too long for chicken to be sitting in a trunk unrefrigerated.
Throw the car out.

I'd try one of those ozone electric air cleaners on it. Run an extension cord out to the car and close it in the window. Leave the air cleaner run for several hours and see if it does its thing.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Surely this person isn't asking if it is ok to eat chicken that has been in the car a couple weeks?!!" Whew!

I agree with a few of the others that you should just go ahead and try a professional at this point. We had a freezer die while we were on vacation years ago, and we never got the smell of the two turkeys and everything else that spoiled out of it.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
Several weeks ago a package of chicken escaped my grocery bag and was in the trunk of my car for 5 days. There was a bad odor in the garage and we thought something had died. After searching, we found nothing. On day 6 I went to put charity stuff in the trunk and nearly barfed on opening the trunk. We have tried many things to eliminate the odor throughout the car to no avail. Please... any suggestions???
Boric Acid works wonders as a carpet cleaning solution.
It's a much cheaper and better alternative cleaner then any commercial carpet cleaning solutions you can buy.

If you can rent or borrow a steam cleaner. If you car has air filters, I'd just buy new ones.

For the trunk remove the carpet. Spray the Boric Acid solution on it and let it soak in and dry. When dry repeat and use the carpet cleaner. You could even sprinkle it on the carpet and leave it.

A friend of mine had a cat that loved to spray in her house. Especially her couch and bedroom carpet. I made her a Boric Acid solution. It completely removed the odor.The cat never marked that territory again.

Boric Acid Treatments | LIVESTRONG.COM

How to Make a Boric Acid Liquid Spray From Powder | eHow.com

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

At first I thought for sure the question was gonna be "can I cook it".

If it spent that long in a car trunk in Florida it was probably already cooked!!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Try coffee grounds. When DH (a truck driver by trade) used to haul fish, even though they were refrigerated, the trailers would smell pretty bad and to avoid the smells being transferred to the next load which was likely vegetables. They would wash out the trailer and then sprinkle a pound of coffee on the floor. He thinks you would only need about a quarter pound for a car. Maybe let it sit for a day or two then vacuum. Couldn't hurt, relatively inexpensive fix. Otherwise off to the professionals.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Pour gasoline or another accelerant in the trunk, throw in a match, and run! JK. Please don't do that, and please don't track me down and sue me (if you're still alive) if you do.

We had the same exact thing happen when I was a kid. We used the basics, baking soda, carpet cleaners, etc, and it still took the entire summer for the stink to fully fade. I hope some of the suggestions here are more effective! Let us know what you try and how it works! Hopefully I'll never need it, but jic, it could be good to know!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

This happened to me as well - and the smell is revolting!! We just gave it a huge spray using toilet spray and then placed a few of those hanging smelly things and it eventually went away. Another suggestion could be some lemons.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Pour gasoline or another accelerant in the trunk, throw in a match, and run! JK. Please don't do that, and please don't track me down and sue me (if you're still alive) if you do.
I't might do it on its own if its an American Car
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm sorry princess, but this is patriotism

ye, bolas, of american muscle car envy. cast out thy demons.

it's not a petrol pedal, is it?

throttle is another word for envy.

it's a gas pedal or hammer, of which to be put down with an all american predjna nroga.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken