"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Don't even touch it with bare hands. If you're disposed to do so, wear gloves, disposable latex type are best.

The toxins in many of these poisonous mushrooms can be absorbed topically. Even experienced mushroom collectors will never put unidentified fungi in collection bags/baskets with identified edible types. Just poisonous types touching edible varieties that are then eaten can cause serious reactions in people.
uh-ooh.....
After I was done leaning over taking the pic, I lost my balance and fell face first into it


Thanks for the head's up, Breezy. I didn't know about mushroom toxins being absorbed into the skin. That's important info, especially if someone wanted to do one of those spore prints.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Breezy, the University of Georgia mycology site says that mushroom toxins are not absorbed thru the skin--good thing, cause I have picked and inspected many a mushroom.

It is true that careful mushroom hunters do not mix up their species as they pick--each kind of mushroom goes into a separate bag. It would be too easy to end up with broken bits getting mixed together. A little bit of Death Angel mixed in with your meadow mushrooms could really spoil your whole day.

Frequently-Asked Questions
__________________

__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Collier County, Fl.
Posts: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
uh-ooh.....
After I was done leaning over taking the pic, I lost my balance and fell face first into it

Uh, ohh. Do I heard a sequel to 'Alice in Wonderland'?
__________________
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Barbara Spencer - Mushroom Pictures
http://www.thehawkseye.com/amanita/amanita_wf_2.jpg

Mushroom poisoning
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
lifesaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast Kansas
Posts: 4,423
all are beautiful
__________________

__________________
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.