Less Coffee more Cola in the morning says NPD Group...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
RedOrbit - Health - Pop Fans Pour It on in the Morning

Consumption of soft drinks at breakfast eaten outside the home has nearly doubled in the past 15 years, while coffee consumption with breakfast outside the home has fallen nearly 25 percent, according to data compiled by New-York based consumer research firm NPD Group, which has offices in Rosemont.

The data is specific to drinks with meals and does not, for example, address the Starbucks phenomenon.

Breakfast consumers order a soft drink with their breakfast 15.1 percent of the time, compared with 7.9 percent of the time in 1990, said Harry Balzer, an NPD executive vice president who has studied American eating habits for more than 25 years. At the same time, Balzer said, coffee was being ordered 38 percent of the time, compared with 48.7 percent 15 years ago.

It probably is not surprising that soft drinks are a growing choice at breakfast considering that nearly half of the U.S. population older than age 4 consumes soft drinks on any given day, according a study commissioned by a milk group.

This is precisely why I got out of the nursing home industry. I was tickled pink to take care of elders who were happy to have scrambled eggs, bacon, buttered toast, oatmeal, juice, milk and coffee for breakfast. I shuddered the day I would encounter a resident who demanded donuts and diet coke for breakfast, and I know those days are coming. In my heart of nutritional hearts, I knew I just could not provide diet coke for breakfast, without kicking and screaming.

When my kids finally put me in the home, I will request scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and DIET SODA for breakfast.

I don't like coffee (or hot tea)--sorry.

And I don't see much nutritional difference between diet soda and black coffee, either.

When I was in charge of the kitchen at the nursing home, I did not stock name brand sodas, only stocked Shasta, which has a stigma and the staff left it alone. I forsaw a real financial drain if I was to stock coke or pepsi. The nursing dept had free reign of the kitchen and pantry on night shift and foods tended to disappear each night. My concern was trying to keep on budget.. No nutritional difference between pop or coffee, that was not my concern.

Back
Top Bottom