"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
We've got a dusting on the ground already!

December? Maybe, maybe not. Supposedly it's going to be a mild winter, whatever that means. They've said that for the last few years, and we've not had much snow. This dusting won't last as in a few days the forecast says upper 40s to low 50s.

Anything can happen weatherwise here. Some ten or so years ago the Halloween blizzard dumped some 2 feet of snow. Then, when Mrs Big Dog and I were married in December 1998, the day of our wedding was overcast and around 50 degrees and no trace of snow.

Long story short, all bets are off. There's no guarentee it will be cold, let alone snow.
Interesting. I am trying to decide whether to fly or drive, and I feel 99% like I will fly, to avoid snow related incidents. But I love road trips and the comforts of having gear in the car. I love snow, sledding, x country skiing...but do not do well in driving in snow. i usually do NOT what you are supposed to do when encountering ice/snow. And a 760 mile trip, one way, is a bit daunting in Dec. And you know, one of my sis' used to live in St. Paul, what was the story of her doggies' paws freezing to the porch?( she does jest, so that may have been an exaggeration ).

I just came in from the garden.....my gosh is it cold out there. Did not think to take my mittens and froze my digits off .

Curious, I had heard it was to be a colder than average winter, and Big Dog heard it is to be a mild winter. But you know, weather can not be accurately forcasted more than 12 hours into the future.

I've got a soup started, a potato, bacon, broccoli soup.......stay warm youall!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Noooo... Of course not!

John

Just what I was thinking

Old 10-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Consider me completely jealous of you who actually have the real 4 seasons. We have summer, hotter-than-summer, warmer-than-spring and smog.

Today's forecast is upper 70's to mid 80s. ugh! I can't stand heat.

I want snow! Anyone want to send me their cold fronts?
You are welcome to my cold front, my cold back, my cold feet, etc., etc., jkath. I'll throw in the four seasons too - for free! Sometimes we have two or three seasons in one day! I would sincerely trade you TODAY!

BC
Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Snow...already...

I'm so sorry. : (
Old 10-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Alright RonJohn it snowed here. It's all your fault !!!
Happy now ?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I love snow, but hate the slush. Here in the Kansas City area with had a slight drop in Temp, but no chances of snow yet. Many years ago I had the opportunity to spend a year at McMurdo Station Antartica and that was incredible. The winter is a great time to stay in your home at night and cook with friends and family.
Chef Mark
www.chefskills101.com
Old 10-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Alright RonJohn it snowed here. It's all your fault !!!
Happy now ?
About the snow? Yes.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #28
Master Chef

We're still green, except, what is dying from lack of water. We had a cold front come through and it was 48 this morning. Back to the 80's tomorrow.
I would love to have some snow this year. All we ever get is ice!! BLAH!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm the treasurer for our condo association. As such I get to work on the budget and see the expenses for, among other things, snow removal.

I discovered an interesting trend. We had an alternating annual cycles of high snowfall and low snowfall. One year will be very low and the following year will be well above average. This trend has been going on for at least 6 years where I can separate snow removal costs.

Sadly, this year is slated for a higher than average snowfall. That means we have to find an extra $10K to $15K in the budget for snow removal.

Two years ago, our annual winter vacation to Aruba was delayed for two days because the airport was closed for a blizzard. Last year we were "stuck" in Aruba for an extra two days for the same reason (the Airport in Boston was closed, not the airport in Aruba).
Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Wish I could get "stuck" in Aruba !