Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigDog said:
We've got a dusting on the ground already!

December? Maybe, maybe not. Supposedly it's going to be a mild winter, whatever that means. They've said that for the last few years, and we've not had much snow. This dusting won't last as in a few days the forecast says upper 40s to low 50s.

Anything can happen weatherwise here. Some ten or so years ago the Halloween blizzard dumped some 2 feet of snow. Then, when Mrs Big Dog and I were married in December 1998, the day of our wedding was overcast and around 50 degrees and no trace of snow.

Long story short, all bets are off. There's no guarentee it will be cold, let alone snow.

Interesting. I am trying to decide whether to fly or drive, and I feel 99% like I will fly, to avoid snow related incidents. But I love road trips and the comforts of having gear in the car. I love snow, sledding, x country skiing...but do not do well in driving in snow. i usually do NOT what you are supposed to do when encountering ice/snow. And a 760 mile trip, one way, is a bit daunting in Dec. And you know, one of my sis' used to live in St. Paul, what was the story of her doggies' paws freezing to the porch?( she does jest, so that may have been an exaggeration:-p ).

I just came in from the garden.....my gosh is it cold out there. Did not think to take my mittens and froze my digits off:huh: .

Curious, I had heard it was to be a colder than average winter, and Big Dog heard it is to be a mild winter. But you know, weather can not be accurately forcasted more than 12 hours into the future.

I've got a soup started, a potato, bacon, broccoli soup.......stay warm youall!

jkath said:
Consider me completely jealous of you who actually have the real 4 seasons. We have summer, hotter-than-summer, warmer-than-spring and smog.

Today's forecast is upper 70's to mid 80s. ugh! I can't stand heat.

I want snow! Anyone want to send me their cold fronts?

You are welcome to my cold front, my cold back, my cold feet, etc., etc., jkath. I'll throw in the four seasons too - for free! Sometimes we have two or three seasons in one day! I would sincerely trade you TODAY!

BC

I love snow, but hate the slush. Here in the Kansas City area with had a slight drop in Temp, but no chances of snow yet. Many years ago I had the opportunity to spend a year at McMurdo Station Antartica and that was incredible. The winter is a great time to stay in your home at night and cook with friends and family.
Chef Mark
www.chefskills101.com

We're still green, except, what is dying from lack of water. We had a cold front come through and it was 48 this morning. Back to the 80's tomorrow.
I would love to have some snow this year. All we ever get is ice!! BLAH!!!

I'm the treasurer for our condo association. As such I get to work on the budget and see the expenses for, among other things, snow removal.

I discovered an interesting trend. We had an alternating annual cycles of high snowfall and low snowfall. One year will be very low and the following year will be well above average. This trend has been going on for at least 6 years where I can separate snow removal costs.

Sadly, this year is slated for a higher than average snowfall. That means we have to find an extra $10K to $15K in the budget for snow removal.

Two years ago, our annual winter vacation to Aruba was delayed for two days because the airport was closed for a blizzard. Last year we were "stuck" in Aruba for an extra two days for the same reason (the Airport in Boston was closed, not the airport in Aruba).

We were "owed" that because of the previous year. It's only fair. I guess I was able to cash in on my good karma.

texasgirl said:
We're still green, except, what is dying from lack of water. We had a cold front come through and it was 48 this morning. Back to the 80's tomorrow.
I would love to have some snow this year. All we ever get is ice!! BLAH!!!

Same in Georgia and it shuts the city down. Sometimes it's so bad that I understand it but having lived in a town with 93" of snow, lots of times it's just silly.

I love the first snow of the season,(won't be here for a while yet).
It always makes the air smell so much cleaner:)
Ice and slush is a bummer though......

It is in the low 70's here and in California we usually have a mild winter.

Last year we had a lot of fires in the summertime and it never stopped raining until the end of April.

I do remember there were evenings that got down into the 50's where I live and in the West Valley it got down into the 30's. People had snow on their lawns

Back
Top Bottom