Let The Baseball Season Begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Cuillo

Sous Chef
I know spring training began several weeks ago but I would just like to say that I am so happy baseball season has begun. I am not into football, I like basketball but my team started off SO horribly that there is not chance they are even going to the playoffs. I am sad that I can not see my team as easily as I could in CT but I am only four hours from DC so I could go see them when they play the Nationals.
Is anyone else into baseball? If so, what is your favorite team?

LET'S GO METS!!!!

Ooooo..those are fighting words!!:cool:

I believe that my team was one hit away from the world series and your team got beat by the...oh who was it...that's right...the TIGERS of all teams!!!

I cannot argue the point, I fear....I'm a yankees fan by rite of passage, I must confess. My father, my brother, and then my husband. If it's any consolation, my boyfriend from South Philly wants very badly to see a Mets game.

That's a little rough then...I will forgive you for that!!! How come your "boyfriend" wants to see a game? Is he a Phillies fan?

I am not into baseball, football or basketball but for all of you that enjoy the sports have a great time watching on television or at a game.

Grew up in Brooklyn when the Dodgers played there.

Everyone, OK almost everyone, loved our Bums (the Dodgers).

We tolerated NY Giants fans, considered them as nothing more than amiable dolts, more to be pitied than anything else.

Then there were the upstart Yankee fans. They always had an attitude and were usually engaged in fights during recess or after school. No Brooklyn Dodger fan kid ever would have anything to do with a Yankee fan kid other than trying to knock his block off.

But the Yankee fans were right, their team was usually the best. I remember watching the world series on our diminutive GE TV (six inch screen) with my mom and day and seeing the the Yankees clean our clocks.

And so we would say there was always next year, always hoping the next year would let us beat the stuffing out of the hated Yankees. And we did so until 1955.

And then, in the seventh game of the world series, us versus them, Johnny Podres threw a shutout, and the Bums won their first championship.

The town erupted. There may have been no joy in Mudville, but Brooklyn went crazy.

Had we a mountain like they do in South Dakota, the faces of Johnny Podres, Sandy Amoros, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider, Gil Hodges, et al, would have been carved into it. It would be a shrine to this day. (Course it would have had to been a very big mountain.)

But then the owner of the team decided it could make more moolah by extracting it from Brooklyn and moving it to LA, leaving many small Brooklynites with broken hearts.

I am sure there are many departed Brooklynites who have shunned Heaven and decided to spend eternity elsewhere, just so long as they could make the demonic torture of fat old Walter O'Mally, the guy who moved the Bums to LA, all the more miserable.

Sorry about the blog, but now I am a baseball fan with no allegiance.

So excuse me if I don't embrace the idea of opening day.

In school I had to read a story called 'A Man Without a Country", and I felt sad.

Well I have a country, and God bless it, but a baseball team, no.

Sigh.

Join us and be part of Red Sox Nation

53.gif

Went to my first Yankee game with my dad in 1948 and I've been a big fan ever since (well after I got past the hot dogs). Greatest sports franchise ever IMO!!!!! They may not win it all every year but it's a heckuva team to watch, like having your own allstar squad from spring to fall.....

Mrs. Cuillo said:
That's a little rough then...I will forgive you for that!!! How come your "boyfriend" wants to see a game? Is he a Phillies fan?

Of course he's a Phillies fan!!! He also likes the Yankees and the Red Sox!

auntdot said:
Grew up in Brooklyn when the Dodgers played there.

Everyone, OK almost everyone, loved our Bums (the Dodgers).

We tolerated NY Giants fans, considered them as nothing more than amiable dolts, more to be pitied than anything else.

Then there were the upstart Yankee fans. They always had an attitude and were usually engaged in fights during recess or after school. No Brooklyn Dodger fan kid ever would have anything to do with a Yankee fan kid other than trying to knock his block off.

But the Yankee fans were right, their team was usually the best. I remember watching the world series on our diminutive GE TV (six inch screen) with my mom and day and seeing the the Yankees clean our clocks.

And so we would say there was always next year, always hoping the next year would let us beat the stuffing out of the hated Yankees. And we did so until 1955.

And then, in the seventh game of the world series, us versus them, Johnny Podres threw a shutout, and the Bums won their first championship.

The town erupted. There may have been no joy in Mudville, but Brooklyn went crazy.

Had we a mountain like they do in South Dakota, the faces of Johnny Podres, Sandy Amoros, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider, Gil Hodges, et al, would have been carved into it. It would be a shrine to this day. (Course it would have had to been a very big mountain.)

But then the owner of the team decided it could make more moolah by extracting it from Brooklyn and moving it to LA, leaving many small Brooklynites with broken hearts.

I am sure there are many departed Brooklynites who have shunned Heaven and decided to spend eternity elsewhere, just so long as they could make the demonic torture of fat old Walter O'Mally, the guy who moved the Bums to LA, all the more miserable.

Sorry about the blog, but now I am a baseball fan with no allegiance.

So excuse me if I don't embrace the idea of opening day.

In school I had to read a story called 'A Man Without a Country", and I felt sad.

Well I have a country, and God bless it, but a baseball team, no.

Sigh.

I grew up being a big baseball fan, taken from my father. I read "The Boys of Summer" by Roger Kahn when I was about 13, just before my father passed away. I took this book up because dad also liked Brooklyn Dodgers and told me a lot about it, and got me interested although I never knew or seen them. It has been one of many things I would like to do if I could get on a time machine, too see the bums on Ebbets Field.:)

When I was in Texas, I took a regular trip to Arlington to see Nolan Ryan and Texas Rangers play, I really loved spending a delightful evening at old Arlington Stadium. One time I even caught Mr. Ryan (along with many other ball players) outside the stadium, got his autograph and he chatted with me with his signature Texas drawl. He was such a down to earth, nice gentleman.

Also I have lovely memories of my own "boys of spring", as I used to tag along to my ex-husband who coached a little league team. I sort of "helped out" coaching, but more like playing and kidding around with all those brilliant lads... one of my happiest moments in my life.

Somehow baseball lost its charm during the last decade and it has been a long time since I followed MLB (I don't even understand the current structure any more...), but baseball surely brings me back so many beautiful memories from the earlier periods of my life.:)

"Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the crowd... buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks....":-p

I like the Red Sox but, living in Texas, they tell me to like the Rangers.

Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! On a local level I say, "Go Jaguars" and "Go DHS".

Jaguars is the college team my oldest pitches for

DHS is the high school my middle son catches for and when school is out then it'll be "Go Post 210".

Now on another note....... I'm a tried and true Cubs fan....always have been and always will be no matter what kind of season they have.

For the last 3 years my boys have played at Busch Stadium for 1 game per year..... against a rival team following watching the cub/cardinal game. My oldest has had the pleasure of pitching off the mound, my middle caught behind the plate and both got the true experience of what its like to play on a pro-baseball field....... memories of a lifetime. I can't tell you what it feels like to see your child play in a stadium like that.

Back
Top Bottom