"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Senior Cook
We planted our vegetable garden with our 5 year old grandson's help today. Or at least we got a start on it. About 6 different heirloom tomato plants including one cherry tomato plant & two Romas also an Italian plant San Marcos I think? Flat leaf parsley, & of course a bunch of basil. Oh yes, sun flowers!

Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
Senior Cook
best tomato....

Anyone who wants the BEST tomato bar non heirloom or not heirloom try something called sungold. Now you will probably have to grow it from seed because ive never heard of it being available to anyone locally but it taste like a sweet orange. It is a cherry type tomato though. Ive grown a lot of varieties and this is the one i have to grow every year.

If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen!!!
ncage1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Originally Posted by QSis
What??? What varieties of tomatoes did you plant, spryte?

In my experience, there is NO better tomato flavor than those grown in my back yard, whether I start them from seed or buy young plants.

It was labeled as a Patio Tomato. There was no other name. I was very disappointed. Although last year, as a whole, my garden didn't produce nearly as well as it did the previous year. But my hot peppers where still fabulously hot & tasty. I just wasn't happy with the tomatoes.
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
Executive Chef
We're having below freezing lows and the top third of my tomatos, peppers and something else (?) froze. We covered it (18x12) with sheets and then plastic. I think we have 2 more evil nights.

As sad as I am, I cannot begin to understand what farms are going through.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #25
Executive Chef
Half-Baked, if you can keep the rest of the plants from freezing, the plants may survive. Yes, we have predicted two more nights of this frigid weather
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #26
Master Chef
The temperature has gotten down into the lower 20's for 3 nights now. Last night was clear, and when I got up this morning, the north field was white.

Our peach crop is gone. The farmers have covered their strawberries, so we'll hope for the best. I'm just grateful I don't have the greenhouses anymore. I'd have had all kinds of things sitting outside at this time of year. You can wash off a light frost, if you get out before the sun comes up, but there's nothing you can do about a hard freeze.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
Executive Chef
I have do not veggie planting yet. Still want it warm up.
Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #28
Head Chef
The "Old Farmer's Almanac" was quite off this year. I'm a bit crushed actually ... I've relied on it every year, whether we were living in Oregon or here in Wisconsin, even when I only had a container garden. mmmmm
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #29
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I planted 'Robert'. Get it?????
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #30
Head Chef
Last week I tilled Dad's garden, lil sis #1's garden and my garden. Glad I didn't plant anything yet cuz it's been too darned cold since then
Where the heck is global warming when you need it?

"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote