Let the gardening begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy both felt and cork pads at most hardware stores. They will just lift the pot up a bit so the water doesn't ruin your wood furniture. If you are putting the pot on glass or ceramic surfaces it isn't as important.

I will post some pics soon Barbara! Oh, and my anthurium (sp) is growing new sprouts as well. I love my indoor plants.

Claire: I got the cork pads for my large planters in the family room (today I overwatered one and it flooded the tile...oops). Floors needed mopping anyhow.

I love anthuriums (yes, I'm sure the spelling is bad). We used to call them "little boy flowers" for obvious reasons. I grew many outside when I lived in Hawaii. In Florida I had a sky light, and grew them in my bathroom. Never had much luck with orchids, but the anthuriums did well.

Anthuriums

Claire,
The first time I saw an anthuriums I thought it was fake - my mother sent a plant to me when I had my son (37 years ago) I put them at my door in big pots at Christmas time with my poinsettias. They are much more common these days.

Here are the pics ladies. I am thrilled to see my Hawaiian orchid sprout growing. The other one has no sprout. It may be lacking something or just a bit slower than the other. I LOVE GARDENING!!!

Last edited:
I am just about to get my butt up and go out to the garden. I have been gone for 3 days, and I know there is work to do out there.

I had sweet corn for dinner last night, and probably have a 3 dozen ears still to pick and freeze. The tomatoes are starting to come on strong, cukes and zukes are still producing, and I can have okra for dinner tonight.

I will pick veggies till I get too hot, then dunk in the pool for a while. It is supposed to thunderstorm this afternoon, so I can stay inside and begin processing the veggies for the canner and the freezer.

I am planning on a perfect day.

That's awsome Beth! Too bad we don't have zuchini to share with our neighbors this year. I snuck some a basil plant on my friend's front door today since hubby and I were gardening and cleaning out some plants. We got a few palm trees, some yellow ixoras, a banana tree (since our doggie ate the last one), a papaya tree and some sort of plant that looks like the bird of paradise (except it's orange in color)...some sort of heliconia, I believe. I'll have to look up the name for it. I can't wait till the sun goes down to out and garden again.

Last edited:
I (as you can see) live in the midwest. I've decided to only plant what my husband, me, and a couple of friends can eat. The season is short but intense. Weeding drives me crazy -- what is it with this awful crab grass that I cannot keep out of the very few patches of garden I call my own? I wish it would just live in the lawn!

This year, for some reason, my sense of smell and taste is "off" and I don't like cucumbers. This breaks my heart, as it has always been a favorite of mine. But they are so easy to grow, and twice a week I go visit a couple of shut-in friends who love them. So I bring them there, and feed my husband as many as he'll eat (usually in the form of cucumber kimchee, which is one form that I still enjoy). Here the tomatoes are just coming in; I have 4 plants. A thriving herb garden, I've already had to cut my tarragon down to the ground (and yes, a week later I still have enough tarragon to feed an army), and my basil failed (don't know what happened, it popped up and we got a few meals from it, then it laid down and died), so I planted a second crop in a planter rather than the ground (it seemed to me that some kind of sub-terranian insect or fungus got it?). This year I think my lovely, bonsai-ish rosemary bush just keeled over and died. But then, it has done it before (it was in a small pot in the RV when we were on the road and my herb garden was in one big pot that I'd put out at every stop -- 3 years; then we brought it here and gave it graduatingly larger pots and brought it in every winter, and it always bloomed at Christmas. It has seemed to have died many times over the years, but I think this may be it. At something like 8 years old, it will be like losing an old friend, especially since we hauled it all over the U.S., border-to-border, coast-to-coast, and it has enhanced many a meal, not just of ours, but of various neighbors all over the country).

Bethzaring, I don't think I will be able to celebrate that holiday this year, unless we get some rain.

Everything has really slowed up, except the tomatoes--picked a five gallon bucketful on Saturday.

Might have to break out the garden hose, much as I hate to spend the money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom