"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #31
Master Chef

My husband says he wants all the global warming pundits to parade down Main Street naked this week.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #32
Cook

I so miss my old house. I grew up in it (15 years) and had to move two years ago, when mum and dad sold it. I went from a great big 4 sided kitchen (3 sides were benches with the stovetop, sink and a breakfast bar in each one respectively, the other side was what you walked along to enter and leave and had the fridges, pantry and cupboards) with walk-in pantry and cealing to floor cupboards, to my current one bench kitchen, with reach-in pantry, very little cupboard space, sink and cooktop taking up most of it, and a dinky fridge. I also went from 2 and a half acres of wonderful bush, meadow and garden to 2 postage stamps front and back. The front garden is my sister's "Grow something pretty to impress my friends with my Ikea house, that I can't kill through total neglect" garden, and I'm "allowed" the back one, which I have to share with a HUGE Hybiscus I'm not allowed to prune, and the clothesline.

..Ahem. Sorry for the whining. I recently started planting vegetables, a heirloom carrot mix, choggia beetroot, romanesco broccoli, french breakfast radishes, and chocolate capsicum. The beetroot, broccoli and radishes have sprouted, and isolated carrots.

I also re-potted some herbs (Mint, Basil and Chives), but the Basil is very long-stalked, and I don't have anywhere great to put them... The sun is intense when it falls directly on them, but it doesn't do that for very long. And the block slopes, and generally it's all not good.

I'll post some snaps later on, when it's not 9:53PM and thus it's well lit.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #33
Head Chef

My seeds have at long last arrived today from Britain. Taken weeks in the post. Oh well. I'll know to order way in advance next year...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Right now I am sitting at just under 6 weeks from the last potential frost date. I will start my annual flowers this week and when they are germinated, that will free up the electric starter mat for the tomatoes and pepper plants.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I planted 'Robert'. Get it?????
I just did ... I was showering and it hit me. But Shushi ... you didn't have to sow it up here as well!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm looking for some tips to plant indoors. Got some pottery but the label says to use pads when planting indoor plants/seeds. What would be the pads to use?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
I'm looking for some tips to plant indoors. Got some pottery but the label says to use pads when planting indoor plants/seeds. What would be the pads to use?
Dina, you can buy cork like pads at any nursery or Home Depot..They protect your furniture and even you counter tops for moisture caused by the water in the pots..If you don't like the pads, they have small stands or saucers for the pots themselves.

kadesma
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Thank you Kadesma. The pottery I got already have saucers. I will get the cork pads instead. I'm growing some orchids and a bird of paradise indoor. Hope I don't kill the plants.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:58 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Woohoo!!! One of my orchids has a sprout!!! I didn't kill them after all.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #40
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
Woohoo!!! One of my orchids has a sprout!!! I didn't kill them after all.

Good going girl ----- Congrats, you'll have to send a pic !