"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #71
Chief Eating Officer

Sorry jeekinz, but I never brought up politics. I brought up insurance which is not the same thing.

I don't know how many times I can say it. I am ONLY SAYING THAT CIGARETTE SMOKING AFFECTS MORE THAN JUST THE SMOKER. Anything else you are typing about are things that you are saying, not me. You can try to turn it into whatever you want, but the fact remains that people who say that their smoking has nothing to do with anyone else just are not seeing the whole picture.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #72
Executive Chef

GB, if you haven't already, you're not going to see where I'm coming from.

Let's let these folks continue their quitting smoking thread.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #73
Chief Eating Officer

Likewise and agreed.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Anyone got a stick of gum? I need a smoke now....
:)
Old 06-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #75
Master Chef

Whoa, screeching halt, this was started for "'Support" in quitting, not for non smokers to vent reasons you hate it. Come on DC, we have too much love for each other and care about each other to let these people down in helping them kick an addiction that is hard enough to quit without making them feel alone or whipped.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #76
Executive Chef

I said this in another thread, but what really helped my urge after quitting was spicy foods. I did, and still do, put Tapatillo hot sauce on orange slices for an after dinner snack. Next to zero calories. I didn't like spicy food while I smoked, but after quitting I can't get enough sometimes.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #77
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I said this in another thread, but what really helped my urge after quitting was spicy foods. I did, and still do, put Tapatillo hot sauce on orange slices for an after dinner snack. Next to zero calories. I didn't like spicy food while I smoked, but after quitting I can't get enough sometimes.
hot sauce on orange slices?? The cigarettes REALLY killed your tast buds J/K!! It's weird how stopping does change them though. It's like trying things for the first time all over again.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
hot sauce on orange slices?? The cigarettes REALLY killed your tast buds J/K!! It's weird how stopping does change them though. It's like trying things for the first time all over again.
LOL - You should try it sometime. It starts of tasting like BBQ, then you get the orange, then the burn from the sauce.

YUM!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #79
Head Chef

I was under the impression that insurance companies factored the additional liability potential of smoking into the rate when underwriting a policy.

I can't prove this but strongly suspect that the net fiscal effect of tobacco use on the federal budget is positive. Sure medicare and medicaid expenses increase but, as mentioned earlier, there is an offset by the "sin taxes." Of course if folks don't die of smoking related disease they will eventually die of something else and incur medical and other government subsidized expenses during their additional years. Also cigarette smokers, dying younger as a general rule, forfeit the social security and other benefits that non-smokers receive during their extended life span.

I don't think one single smoker is going to quit because he is nagged at or feels guilty about supposedly being a drain on the wallets of the rest of us. The point is that they (used to be we) not only pay the exhorbitant prices, including taxes, on cigarettes but, in many ways, miss out on their fair share of the benefits.
Quote:
Maverick2272 said earlier:
That being said, with 2 heart attacks under my belt, a triple by-pass, and my COPD getting worse by the day, oh and now facing the prospect of perhaps more surgery, I really do need to quit, and fast.
I only write this in the hope that feeling taken advantage of might be the last straw that helps somebody like Maverick finally become entirely ready to quit.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #80
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I can't prove this but strongly suspect that the net fiscal effect of tobacco use on the federal budget is positive. Sure medicare and medicaid expenses increase but, as mentioned earlier, there is an offset by the "sin taxes." Of course if folks don't die of smoking related disease they will eventually die of something else and incur medical and other government subsidized expenses during their additional years. Also cigarette smokers, dying younger as a general rule, forfeit the social security and other benefits that non-smokers receive during their extended life span.

I don't think one single smoker is going to quit because he is nagged at or feels guilty about supposedly being a drain on the wallets of the rest of us. The point is that they (used to be we) not only pay the exhorbitant prices, including taxes, on cigarettes but, in many ways, miss out on their fair share of the benefits.
And again none of that has anything to do with what I was saying. Smoking affects more than just the smoker. That is it. Even with everything you say above, what I said still holds true.

My statement was not aimed at nagging anyone to get them to quit. My statement was aimed at the person who said it is no ones business what they do with their money because it only affects them. I was only pointing out that is not true.