Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Underground Railroad

Just finished the tenth and final episode. I think it is even better than I thought after two episodes. But not everybody will like it and frankly, not everybody should watch it.
  1. It is not strictly historical fiction. Nobody should be misled that the underground railroad actually was steam-powered locomotives running through tunnels with underground depots.
  2. There are no "two sides to the story" here. If you are looking for sympathetic justifications of slavery or southern antebellum racial attitudes, you won't find them.
But people who aren't blindingly bigoted and have some understanding of high school-level literary concepts like metaphor and allegory will likely appreciate this series.

The Defeated

Recently finished watching The Defeated on Netflix, a series set in the partitioned occupation of Berlin after World War II. Thought it was very good TV.

Norm Macdonald and Billie Joe Shaver

This might be better placed in what are you listening to but:

Been binging Norm Macdonald Has A Show on Netflix, terrific TV I heartily recommend.

The ninth episode is with Billy Joe Shaver, the archetype outlaw country songwriter. The conversation is about 30 minutes long and includes among others performances of "I've Been To Georgia On a Fast Train," and "I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal" on which he is accompanied by a single acoustic guitar. In my opinion, most links of those songs on YouTube are junked up by poorly recorded electric guitar and drums.

Last edited:
Last Saturday, after DH had left for his trip but before my mom arrived, I turned on Netflix and hit the button that says "Watch something" or something like that, and it randomly picks a show. It chose "Grey's Anatomy," which I have never seen. So I've been binging it for the past few evenings. It's pretty good. I can see why it lasted for 17 seasons.

Watching "Only Murders in the Building" on Hulu. Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selina Gomez. We're enjoying it. New episode every Tuesday.

No Hulu here, but I wish we had it for this show. No Apple TV, either, but we'd be interesting in seeing "The Morning Show". I'm not much of a TV watcher anyway, so I'll get over it. :LOL:

We do get OTA broadcast TV; watched "Ordinary Joe" on Monday night (NBC, Monday at 10:00 PM). The premise follows Joe, who upon college graduation isn't sure which direction to take in life. He has three distinctly different interests (nursing, law enforcement, and being a rock star). The story follows Joe's life through each of them, each story told during one episode. Once Himself mentioned that the story lines are color-coded, it became even easier to figure out which path you were following. It was interesting enough, and not too bizarre, to keep watching.

When they first started to promote the show, I was conflicted. After all, we've watched "Bull" on CBS at that time since it started, and we're still enjoying it. However, it looks like CBS did us a favor and moved Bull to Thursday nights.

If you didn't see it but are now interested, the premiere episode will be shown again tonight on NBC at 8:00 PM eastern...or you can watch in on Peacock.

Goliath

Binged season 4 of "Goliath" on Prime. Enjoyed it more than any other TV in recent memory. The first couple of episodes; not so much because of long "dream sequences," but that was forgiven and forgotten as the story progressed.

Season 4 could be enjoyed stand-alone but character development from previous seasons makes it even better.

Scenes From a Marriage

I've watched suffered through the first four scenes, more commonly called episodes, of Scenes From a Marriage on HBO. I'll watch the fifth and final roughly one-hour "scene" next week but if the pattern holds, I'll need four or five "intermissions" to get through it.

I admire the acting of Jessica Chastain and her male co-star, forgot his name, but wish I'd never started watching this one.

Selena + Chef

Nice show on HBO Max. Sweet young girl learning to cook. I'm catching up on the first two seasons. The third season releases tomorrow.

Just finished watching Second Season of "Why Women Kill". Where the first season was very clever and interesting. And simply very well done. The second season was way too long. Annoyingly starched for no good reason. Boring at the times. I had to fast forward many times. Basically ruined perfectly good show. They could have left it with one season and go in Fame, rather than making this nonsense and go Infamous.

Finally got around to watching Season 4 of "Mrs. Maisel" this week. All eight episodes. When we finished up, Himself said he wanted more - right now! I told him we have to wait until December or January for season five, which is the last one. Another series that knows it's better to go out on top rather than drag it out for the $$$.

Finally got around to watching Season 4 of “Mrs. Maisel” this week. All eight episodes. When we finished up, Himself said he wanted more - right now! I told him we have to wait until December or January for season five, which is the last one. Another series that knows it's better to go out on top rather than drag it out for the $$$.
Was it really worth watching? DD and I started watching the first episode and it kind of dragged on. We never finished watching it.

We've been watching the 2nd season of “Only murders in the building” on Hulu.

I wonder if/when the 3rd season of Jack Ryan will come out.

Last edited:
We absolutely love it. Give it another shot.

Well we watched all of the other seasons. The first episode of this season was kind the same old same old as the last seasons. We’ll give it another shot. Now that DD doesn’t live here and she doesn’t have a tv I wait for her to watch with me.

Back
Top Bottom