"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 02:25 AM   #1231
Chef Extraordinaire

Aww, c'mon Addie. Bostonians, as well as most New Englanders alike, are infamous for NOT being polite to tourists. I think the expression I've often heard in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts is "Please come and
leave your money, then go as quickly as posdible".

Old 05-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #1232
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Aww, c'mon Addie. Bostonians, as well as most New Englanders alike, are infamous for NOT being polite to tourists. I think the expression I've often heard in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts is "Please come and leave your money, then go as quickly as posdible".
I have never been rude to a tourist. If anything, just the opposite. I saw a few girls looking at the wonderful map the tourist industry make available for free. They were looking at it. "If we go this way, we can see Chinatown. I noticed that they were pointing to City Hall. I went over and pointed out that they were looking at the map upside down. And I informed them that they DID NOT want to see Chinatown. It is where the ladies of the evening plied their trade. Also there were many men of ill repute hanging out on the street, looking for an unsuspecting tourist. they went off to look at other sites. My advice for them was to follow the red brick line in the sidewalk. And stop to read the plaques on the side of a building.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #1233
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Aww, c'mon Addie. Bostonians, as well as most New Englanders alike, are infamous for NOT being polite to tourists. I think the expression I've often heard in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts is "Please come and
leave your money, then go as quickly as posdible".
It's hard to put one label on the entire population of a region, but I think New Englanders tend to be reserved more than rude.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #1234
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's hard to put one label on the entire population of a region, but I think New Englanders tend to be reserved more than rude.
You're right Andy. When I go out on my scooter and pass someone walking, I now try to smile and say "Good Morning, Afternoon, etc. Sometimes there are elderly sitting on their front stoop or porch, I always slow down to say hello. I feel better for it and I know the recipient also does.

When Spike is walking Teddy, people will stop to pet him and they talk to Spike. Dogs are a great talking breaker. Specially if they are small. Pirate ran into one of the regulars that stop and talk to Spike. He referred to him as "that old homeless man that walks his dog." Spike is not a man that talks very much. And he certainly is not homeless.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #1235
Master Chef

I stumbled on "American Gods" - "fantasy" they called it. More like bizarre LSD trip. Grotesk craziness. But then I was probably the only one who did not like pulp fiction. I guess i am just not "artistic" enough to understand such nonsense.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #1236
Head Chef

Charlie D, never heard of it - what channel/station is it on?
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #1237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I stumbled on "American Gods" - "fantasy" they called it. More like bizarre LSD trip. Grotesk craziness. But then I was probably the only one who did not like pulp fiction. I guess i am just not "artistic" enough to understand such nonsense.
No Charlie, it is not you. There is so much nonsense, violence and far out crap on TV now, that it is getting more difficult to find anything really enjoyable on TV. The weather is nice now, so I am going to start going down to the Public Library and taking out CD's to watch.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:26 AM   #1238
Cook

I am a huge fan of the show "Blue Bloods" starring Tom Selleck as the police commissioner of New York City. A great show that prioritizes family and doing the right thing.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #1239
Senior Cook

I thought I answered this thread but cannot seem to locate my post ..

In English: Blue Bloods .. I am a grand enthusiast of Pólice Programming ..

In Spanish: Old films from Cine de Barrio = The Neighborhood of Cinema which focuses on the Silver Screen films of Spain.

In Catalan: The local News here in Barcelona and surrounding regions of Cataluna.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #1240
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
I thought I answered this thread but cannot seem to locate my post ..

In English: Blue Bloods .. I am a grand enthusiast of Pólice Programming ..

In Spanish: Old films from Cine de Barrio = The Neighborhood of Cinema which focuses on the Silver Screen films of Spain.

In Catalan: The local News here in Barcelona and surrounding regions of Cataluna.
Another Blue Bloods fan!!!!!