"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #1451
Chef Extraordinaire

I watched the American Masters documentary on Bob Hope last night. It was excellent. The rise of a great and natural entertainer, his service to our country, and then how he stayed around a little too long.

American Masters - A series examining the lives, works, and creative processes of outstanding artists.

There's also a good little video on PBS's Facebook page by Jacques Pepin, about following a recipe. https://www.facebook.com/pbs/videos/10156087110768675/

Old 12-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #1452
Chef Extraordinaire

Has anyone else been watching the second season of "The Crown" on Netflix? I have a new respect and sympathy for Queen Elizabeth after watching the episode we watched last night (episode #6 "Vergangenheit"). What a shocking revelation...wow.

Both seasons have been well worth watching.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #1453
Head Chef

bucky thanks! love the video with Jacques P. Nice to know your own methods are supported by such a marvelous chef! I'm forwarding this to a friend who keeps asking me to "show" her how to make gourmet meals... LOL - I tell her to just follow the recipe but keep in mind you might have to make small adjustments along the way. A pound and a half of mushrooms added to the sauce for veal scallopini in a dish for two... "Mushroom Stew" with a piece of meat buried you just weren't sure what it was.

Kay I binge watched all of the episodes over a couple of days. Loved it! and then last night I watched a Tribute to the Queen for her 90th birthday. The home movies they showed were fantastic!

Just a note: A girlfriend was really upset with the boarding school episode. I don't know if many of you went to boarding school but I did. I can tell you it can be like that - most are just fine but like anything some are better, some worse.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #1454
Head Chef

I saw this show just a day ago. Anyone catch it? ....A show about how a smooth talking guy who parlayed his way from one managerial job to another got to be a top adviser to a state governor. He didn't want to get any further, he got tired of doing it... He didn't forge any documents...he pretty much talked his way thru. I laughed out loud.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #1455
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I watched the American Masters documentary on Bob Hope last night. It was excellent. The rise of a great and natural entertainer, his service to our country, and then how he stayed around a little too long.

American Masters - A series examining the lives, works, and creative processes of outstanding artists.

There's also a good little video on PBS's Facebook page by Jacques Pepin, about following a recipe. https://www.facebook.com/pbs/videos/10156087110768675/
I am curious. Johnny Carson once mentioned when asked who his least favorite guest was. He stated that it was Bob Hope. He would notify the network to tell Johnny that he was coming on. He had a special he was pushing. Without an invite. And it was almost impossible to get rid of him. He didn't like Bob or his pushy ways.

Just out of curiosity, was this mentioned at all in the special?
Old 01-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #1456
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Has anyone else been watching the second season of "The Crown" on Netflix? I have a new respect and sympathy for Queen Elizabeth after watching the episode we watched last night (episode #6 "Vergangenheit"). What a shocking revelation...wow.

Both seasons have been well worth watching.
I will put that on my list.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #1457
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am curious. Johnny Carson once mentioned when asked who his least favorite guest was. He stated that it was Bob Hope. He would notify the network to tell Johnny that he was coming on. He had a special he was pushing. Without an invite. And it was almost impossible to get rid of him. He didn't like Bob or his pushy ways.

Just out of curiosity, was this mentioned at all in the special?
Not that I recall. But Carson probably deserved it. He was known for being bit of a tyrant on his show and in life, so it would have taken somebody huge like Bob Hope in order to boss him around.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 AM   #1458
Head Chef

Johnny was a game show host turned talk show host. Bob Hope was Bob Hope.

For any interested, I saw one Tonight Show (that aired way back, 1979?) where each of Johnny's guests laid into him. He got royally roasted by each successive guest. It was brutal for Johnny. That taping is one of the tapings of the Tonight show that were mysteriously destroyed. I caught it live way back. OMG it was brutal for Johnny. They all totally brought him down to earth, even guest Diana Shore. That whole airing was some "weird wacky stuff", from start to end (as I remember). I don't suppose any of you caught that now destroyed taping of the Tonight Show? It was awkward, to say the least.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #1459
Chef Extraordinaire

Darn, I wish I could have seen that show.

Carson could make or break a comedian's career by simply inviting he or she over to the couch after they did their set, or not. Supposedly, it was all on his whim.

I've been watching the new Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access recently. It is excellent! As good, or may better than any other Star Trek series IMO.

Even if you have never seen or liked Star Trek before, this is a series that I can see a whole new generation of fans enjoying.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #1460
Executive Chef

We have a newish channel called Talking Pictures that shows old movies. Many of them are black & white including a John Wayne picture from 1930 which was on a few weeks ago. Last night they were running "Stage Door Canteen" (1943), a sort of flag waver about a forces canteen set up to entertain servicemen on leave bringing in "satrs" to sperform or otherwise help. It was very odd to see George Raft, player of violent thugs, in a dish-washing scene! Most of them are hilarious for all the wrong reasons when viewed from a 21st century point but the other afternoon they showed "Enchantnent", starring David Niven and Teresa Wright. One of my favourites - a good old-fashioned "weepy". I had a good wallow.