"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #1481
Executive Chef

I just finished watching the The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel show which was free this weekend only through Amazon prime. 8 shows for season 1 which is around 7 hours and 30 minutes with credits.

I could see why this was worth the two Golden Globe wins as it had some quality acting. Good jokes. Good guest acting. Solid Costume design.

This show is about a housewife in the 1950s who decides to become a stand-up comic.

The show does leave us with a whole lot of stuff left unanswered for season 2 which was nice.

If you got the time watch the first episode. It was worth it.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #1482
Chef Extraordinaire

If you're looking for a show worth watching, check out this new PBS show with Ann Curry. We've watched it twice and we both love it.

Making We'll Meet Again | We'll Meet Again | PBS

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #1483
Master Chef

Oh my. i made a mistake of watching "Happy" . From Series info: "Based on the graphic novel of the same name, Nick Sax is a corrupt, intoxicated, ex-cop turned hit man who is adrift in a twilight world of casual murder, soulless sex, and betrayal. After a hit goes wrong, Nick finds a bullet in his side, the cops and the mob on his tail, and a monstrous killer on the loose. But his world is about to be changed forever by a tiny, imaginary, blue-winged horse with a relentlessly positive attitude named Happy. On their journey, they must contend with a laundry list of enemies including angry mobsters, ex-mistresses, ex-wives, and one very bad Santa."

I thought to myself with the cute cartoon character how bad can it be? Right? Wrong. It was so bad, wait scratch that it was so BAD, it was disgusting. I can appreciate some of the stuff described above. But it was so grotesk, the violence and the vulgarity was so unnecessary, it was absolutely terrible. Absolutely.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:22 AM   #1484
Executive Chef

I watched "Chernobyl Disaster: As We Watched" the other night. The technicians were experimenting to see if they could keep the reactor going in the event of a power failure to the plant (yes, a nuclear power plant needs outside power) by using the remaining RPM's in the turbines to provide the needed electricity to make a smooth transition flow of electricity during a power failure. They fooled around with that but backed out when things got too hot. So...they quickly inserted graphite rods into the reactor to stop the test. What happened next is that...instead of the rods shutting down the reactor as should have happened, the reactor got hotter and exploded. I've yet to understand that part. Apparently, the techs dipped those graphite rods into the nuclear reactor too fast, or something. Obviously the cooling didn't keep up.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #1485
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I watched "Chernobyl Disaster: As We Watched" the other night. The technicians were experimenting to see if they could keep the reactor going in the event of a power failure to the plant (yes, a nuclear power plant needs outside power) by using the remaining RPM's in the turbines to provide the needed electricity to make a smooth transition flow of electricity during a power failure. They fooled around with that but backed out when things got too hot. So...they quickly inserted graphite rods into the reactor to stop the test. What happened next is that...instead of the rods shutting down the reactor as should have happened, the reactor got hotter and exploded. I've yet to understand that part. Apparently, the techs dipped those graphite rods into the nuclear reactor too fast, or something. Obviously the cooling didn't keep up.
At the time of that disaster, I was dating a blue collar man. I also happened to be working for the engineering company that designed most of the nuclear power plants in this country. The person I was dating asked me a simple question. "How does the reactor produce power?" I got a large piece of paper and a pencil and drew a reactor for him so that he could understand it. Very simple. He was absolutely amazed that I knew stuff like that. From that day forward, he called me "Little Miss Nuclear." But it also brought me down to earth. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the education I had. And he was one of those folks. So from that day forward I no longer was impatient with folks who don't know what I know. And I stopped right in my tracks and no longer looked down on folks such as my blue collar man. I know how angry I get when someone looks down on me. That day was my "day of awakening." So instead of looking down, I try to educate. If someone is willing to listen, I am willing to educate. But on their level.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #1486
Certified Pretend Chef

Has anyone else been watching The Alienist on TNT? It takes place in turn of the century New York.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #1487
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Has anyone else been watching The Alienist on TNT? It takes place in turn of the century New York.
Right now I am hung up on the Olympics. But I saw the commercial for it and it seems like every five minutes. I couldn't tell by their commercial if it was going to be on TV or in a movie theatre.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #1488
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have not, tho I wish the Hollywood factory would put out something good. Inventive, smart, appealing.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 AM   #1489
Chef Extraordinaire

I tarted watching The Alienist last night. I have no idea where I started as far as seasons and episodes go, but you know it's a good show when that doesn't matter after watching just 2 episodes. It was fascinating.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #1490
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I tarted watching The Alienist last night. I have no idea where I started as far as seasons and episodes go, but you know it's a good show when that doesn't matter after watching just 2 episodes. It was fascinating.
This is the first season and they are through four or five episodes. It's the TV adaptation of a book.

TNT is showing an Alienist marathon Saturday (tomorrow) running all the previously aired episodes if you want to watch or record. Also available on demand.