"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 AM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've caught Jacques Pepin a few times but can't watch him when he has Julia Child on. No offense to Julie, she was a tremendous cook and all, but since we get WGBH as a local PBS station I've had Julia overload. Some Saturdays they run her pretty much from noon to 6:00.

Love Ming (my sil met him) and BBQ U. Also, the Rhode Island station shows Chef Staib from Philly's "City Tavern" in a series called "Taste of History" that is excellent for both cooks and history buffs. I'd watch Martha Stewart because she does do a very good job of going over the basics in her Martha's Cooking School that is playing right now, but her manner of speaking can put me right to sleep. Don't have that problem with ABC's "The Chew" though. It's more a cooking-light thing but I have made more than one of Michael Symon's dishes with great reviews from DH. As long as hubby's happy we're all happy.

OK, I guess I do watch more TV than I thought once I list everything. But it's mostly cooking stuff.
Martha talks down to her audience. Her tone of voice says it all. Very arrogant. I guess going to prison didn't teach her very much. So true about Julia. Give her a rest. Bring her back in ten years when there is a whole new audience who have only heard about her. I can't help wondering though if she would have adjusted to today's new kitchen cooking appliances.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #152
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
Love eating...love history. I don't get that program here but it sounds interesting.

A Taste of History | Cooking Shows | PBS Food

Episodes are available on you-tube so I'll check them out there.

Thanks! :)
Good one for history buffs. He's filmed episodes at Williamsburg, Monticello and a few other historic homes around the country. Also a couple episodes outside the country.

It's predominantly hearth cooking. I think we'd starve if I had to cook like that all the time, although our fireplace (the real clay-and-brick kind, not the pretty steel pre-fab junk) came in mighty handy the Halloween that we lost power for 3 days. Amazing how great hot dogs taste when held with a long campfork over the fire in the grate.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #153
Head Chef

Come to think of it CG, I may have seen that program.

I remember a program where they used dogs in a squirrel cage to turn a rotisserie in a huge fireplace.

Think it was the same program where they combined different parts of fowl, game and fish in rather grotesque configurations and served them.

Imagine what the good doctor Frankenstein would've served had he been a chef.

I can't remember what the practice was called but apparently it was quite the fashion at the time.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #154
Master Chef

Quote:
Come to think of it CG, I may have seen that program.

I remember a program where they used dogs in a squirrel cage to turn a rotisserie in a huge fireplace.

Think it was the same program where they combined different parts of fowl, game and fish in rather grotesque configurations and served them.

Imagine what the good doctor Frankenstein would've served had he been a chef.

I can't remember what the practice was called but apparently it was quite the fashion at the time.
jh, that must have been a different program! I don't remember ever seeing digs turn the rotisserie and everything I've seen Chef make looks palatable. You'd remember him if you saw him - he's a BIG German chef.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #155
Chef Extraordinaire

We have just started watching the new season of Masterchef UK
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #156
Head Chef

I watched Doc Marten again last night.

What a smart show. Funny and poignant.

I'm hooked!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #157
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I watched Doc Marten again last night.

What a smart show. Funny and poignant.

I'm hooked!
Spike and I have a date every Wednesday night at nine o'clock. Doc Martin. Right now they are showing a repeat of the first three seasons. They have finished filming Season Four. When it starts, I don't know. But I keep checking PBS for any news.

This show is so well written. An absolute delight to watch. The facial expressions are so perfect.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #158
Wine Guy

My wife and I sat down yesterday and decided we are going to wean ourselves from cable TV. Our bill runs $177 a month and now they are planning to up it another $20 a month. That's almost $200 - which is what I paid for rent in my first apartment (granted, that was a while ago, but I still use it as a reference and think that paying more than $200 a month for anything short of a house is expensive).

I figure we can buy monthly cable internet and get rid of the TV broadcasts.

The first thing I am going to do is order a few antennas and start capitalizing on free over-the-air television transmissions for local channels and news/sports/etc. And I just read an article about how to set up a computer to act as a DVR. I have an extra computer and enough know-how to do this. We also have a Roku streaming video device with Hulu and Amazon video-on-demand. That covers almost everything except cable and premium programs. I may just have to miss out on those, but I guess we cheapskates can't have everything.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #159
Executive Chef

i'm surprised at myself at returning to 'hannibal' for a second week. despite my initial forebodings, i think i may be turning into a fan. while i am making confessions, i might as well admit to watching 'shameless' and 'scandal' on a regular basis now, also....

doc martin, (from viewing the debut show), strikes me as being dated, and with a rather predictable main character.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #160
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My wife and I sat down yesterday and decided we are going to wean ourselves from cable TV. Our bill runs $177 a month and now they are planning to up it another $20 a month. That's almost $200...
I may just have to miss out on those, but I guess we cheapskates can't have everything.
It's appalling that you have to spend that much for cable. I grew up in an era when all TV was free.

We paid around $200 for TV, internet and voice. By switching providers I was able to cut my bill by $80 a month. Much better now but still too much.