"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #181
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hmmm...The Masters build up is on the TV and the Golf Watcher is in the office playing on his computer. At least it's something I can ignore. There are things I can't ignore because they annoy me so much.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #182
Master Chef

We record nearly every TV show we like so we can watch the shows when we want, and be able to fast forward through all the annoying commercials. We thought we'd watch the first show of Hannibal last night, as I had been looking forward to having a crime show to watch during the summer when everything else is reruns. Criminal Minds is about at the top of my favorites list and although it can be gruesome as so many of these shows are, Hannibal did me in. OMG, no way no how can I watch that! My limit has been reached!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #183
Executive Chef

i didn't expect to like hannibal myself. well, 'like' isn't the best word for how i feel about hannibal. but it intrigues me in a way that a show like 'bones' and some of the others couldn't and didn't. so far, anyhow, i 'like' hannibal. we'll see how it develops....
Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #184
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I find I "like" Hannibal too.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #185
Master Chef

I too really wanted to "like" this new show Vit and Dawg. Because the pathology of the criminal mind really fascinates me, I can generally overlook the gore involved as hard as that is to do sometimes. I also wanted to watch Hannibal because I really liked Laurence Fishburne who was once on CSI, another favorite of mine. Oh well, now I know my limit. Cutting up the lungs on the kitchen breadboard did me in.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #186
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll

The first thing I am going to do is order a few antennas and start capitalizing on free over-the-air television transmissions for local channels and news/sports....
I hear ya Steve. I will not buy cable because I refuse to pay for channels I have no interest in watching.

That would be akin to a restaurant forcing you to order everything on the menu when all I want is soup and a sandwich.

Don't buy antennas!

I made one of these and it works beautifully.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...-YdEFPb7cfmiKA

Oops! I just realized that you have already purchased antennas.

Still, for the rest of you....

Also, I enjoy Dexter, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and other cable series.

I simply rent them and watch them in big chunks, with no commercials and have the ability to pause when I want a snack or a potty break.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #187
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I too really wanted to "like" this new show Vit and Dawg. Because the pathology of the criminal mind really fascinates me, I can generally overlook the gore involved as hard as that is to do sometimes. I also wanted to watch Hannibal because I really liked Laurence Fishburne who was once on CSI, another favorite of mine. Oh well, now I know my limit. Cutting up the lungs on the kitchen breadboard did me in.

laurence fishburne indeed makes for a great incentive to watch a show. his appearance on hannibal was icing on the cake for me. he was an unexpected gift. as good as ted dansen is on nci, i had been missing lf on the show. i just hope the character he is playing on hannibal gets better treatment (smarter lines) from the writers in future episodes.

sorry this one didn't work out for you, kayelle. maybe my myopia has something to do with an elevated tolerance for gory scenes....
Old 04-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #188
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
I hear ya Steve. I will not buy cable because I refuse to pay for channels I have no interest in watching.

That would be akin to a restaurant forcing you to order everything on the menu when all I want is soup and a sandwich.

Don't buy antennas!

I made one of these and it works beautifully.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...-YdEFPb7cfmiKA

Oops! I just realized that you have already purchased antennas.

Still, for the rest of you....

Also, I enjoy Dexter, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and other cable series.

I simply rent them and watch them in big chunks, with no commercials and have the ability to pause when I want a snack or a potty break.
how do you mean, jharris, that you watch the shows in big chunks? you pay $2, or whatever, for each episode, but don't view them until you have a movie-length's worth?
i'd like to find an inexpensive way to watch nurse jackie, for instance. is buying a season's series my best bet?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #189
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Having read all the Thomas Harris novels many years ago, I'm thinking Jack Crawford (Fishburn's character) was somewhat a clueless twit in the books, though I may be wrong.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #190
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Harris's novels were good enough for me...I don't need any visuals.