Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I either do that cave76 or to take it one step further I use XBMC which allows me to watch any TV show (or movie) I want at any time without any commercials to even have to skip through.

I had to google XBMC. Sounds interesting but since I'm dependent on Closed Captioning or SDH I wonder how well they handle that. I looked at some of the links on XBMC about that and got a bit worried when they talked about 'subtitles' which isn't always the same thing as Closed Captions or SDH.

What is the difference between closed caption and subtitles? I honestly did not even realize there was a difference. I have no idea what SDH is so I can't comment one that part either.

I have used the subtitles on XBMC before so I have a little bit of experience with that part of the program. What i can tell you is that chances are if there is something you need to be able to do then XBMC can probably do it. The one possible downside to XBMC is that it requires a little to a lot of technical know-how although they keep coming out with things that make that less and less the case.

On Nat. Geo there is a program call The Incredible Dr. Pol. He is a veterinarian and in his 70's. His whole family in the business and two of his kids are vets also. (I think. I know the daughter is.) His practice in located in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. He is the kind of vet anyone would love for their animals. I just love this show. :angel:
A friend of mine is actually one of the producers on that series. I have yet to see it, though.

What is the difference between closed caption and subtitles? I honestly did not even realize there was a difference. I have no idea what SDH is so I can't comment one that part either.

English subtitles are the English translation of the dialogue. Where as Closed Captions add in the other sounds eg. (knock, knock) when there is a knock at the door or, (a gunshot is heard in the background)

SDH is purportedly better and easier to read because of how the words appear on the screen. There are other differences and only a person who really likes details would want to read this:
SDH and CC

I've been fooled with a DVD (netflix) subtitles where only words that are foreign (to the English) are subtitled, leaving the rest of the movie unintelligable to me. That might be just one sentence. :ohmy:

Thanks for the explanation cave76. That makes sense. I think the way XBMC works it would depend on the actual plugin that you are using whether closed captioning works or is even an option. The short answer though is that it seems like it might be more effort than it is worth right now to try to get closed captioning working on it unfortunately.

The Voice! Amazing Race. And Person of Interest was really good tonight. Looking forward to the new season of Survivor tomorrow.

And as much as I miss Jay, I'm really enjoying Jimmy Fallon.

Last edited:
Just finished watching About a Boy, Growing Up Fisher and Person of Interest...it was a good night for TV!

Last night was NCIS and NCIS LA, new episodes. Tonight is Criminal minds and CSI!

I was really tempted to save the NCIS' and spend the evening watching BBC Planet Earth, but just watched after NCIS.

Planet Earth is beautiful scenery. I just use Closed Captioning, and turn the sound off so I can read a book, and look up to enjoy the pretty pictures.

I'm brushing up on the Vikings series. Last year's season was on last night and they (History Channel) is doing a marathon starting later today, too. Tomorrow night starts the second series.

Last night was NCIS and NCIS LA, new episodes. Tonight is Criminal minds and CSI!

I was really tempted to save the NCIS' and spend the evening watching BBC Planet Earth, but just watched after NCIS.

Planet Earth is beautiful scenery. I just use Closed Captioning, and turn the sound off so I can read a book, and look up to enjoy the pretty pictures.

I think Planet Earth should be required for every high school kid. :angel:

With a little extra on my cable bill, I have NatGeo Wild, Sci Channel and BBC. The shows I love are How the Earth Was Made, Universe, Steven Hawking, many animal shows.

It cost me to get these channels, but it's necessary for my mental well-being.

I love to read and do Sudoku puzzles, but I want to look up and see something on the TV that is intelligent, beautiful and informative.

I'm concerned that we humans protect the other species who live here on Earth.

Last edited:
With a little extra on my cable bill, I have NatGeo Wild, Sci Channel and BBC. The shows I love are How the Earth Was Made, Universe, Steven Hawking, many animal shows.

It cost me to get these channels, but it's necessary for my mental well-being.

I love to read and do Sudoku puzzles, but I want to look up and see something on the TV that is intelligent, beautiful and informative.

I'm concerned that we humans protect the other species who live here on Earth.

What I fail to understand is some of the NatGeo shows and studies they finance. Is man's life today going to be any better if we find out what dinosaurs ate a million years ago? I am all for animal conservation, but I fail to see how I am worse off because the Dodo bird is gone. What am I missing? :angel:

What you might be missing, Addie, are the beautiful Cheetas, Leopards, and even lions that inhabit our planet.

As far as I'm concerned, they have just as much a right to be here, just like us.

The fate of the dinosaurs tells us what can happen to other species (including us) on this plant.

Our planet's precarious existence in our solar system is scary. I think we should work hard to keep these wonderful animal species who still live among us.

Last edited:
What I fail to understand is some of the NatGeo shows and studies they finance. Is man's life today going to be any better if we find out what dinosaurs ate a million years ago? I am all for animal conservation, but I fail to see how I am worse off because the Dodo bird is gone. What am I missing? :angel:
Everything affects everything else. The more we learn about things around us or even things in out distant past the greater understanding we have of the world today. More knowledge is never a bad thing.

I have a friend from college who went into the very specific field of studying ancient animal feces. Yes, a weird field for sure, but it leads to learning what particular animals ate, why animals migrated to different areas, and many other things. Those discoveries lead to other discoveries with lead to others. It is an ongoing process where you learn one small thing that might seem insignificant, but it is all parts in one big puzzle and each piece we learn give a little clearer of a picture.

I think that, as a whole, we would be worse off if we didn't learn from 'our' past mistakes. For just one example, how the dodo came to be extinct. I think those shows could be a great teaching experience for children so hopefully they don't make the same kinds of mistakes as our ancestors (and 'us' even now) did/do.

The NatGeo shows I get irked at are the ones that are obviously designed to show how vicious animals can be. Not talking about a lion taking down a zebra----- but when that's the whole thrust of the show------

What you might be missing, Addie, are the beautiful Cheetahs, Leopards, and even lions that inhabit our planet.

As far as I'm concerned, they have just as much a right to be here, just like us.

The fate of the dinosaurs tells us what can happen to other species (including us) on this plant.

Our planet's precarious existence in our solar system is scary. I think we should work hard to keep these wonderful animal species who still live among us.

Oh I agree on that. They are all so perfectly camouflaged to blend in with their surroundings. Trying to pick out just one zebra from the herd can be daunting for some animals. There are some studies though that just make no sense to me. I don't begrudge the study of what we now have, not only for ourselves but for the animals as well. If only to make life better for all of us. Half the diet of the big cats would be cut in half if the zebras disappeared from the earth. And as disgusting as they look, the buzzards are a much needed bird. Imaging what the plains of Africa would be like without them.

We now know that we must conserve and save what animals are left on earth. Even the ones would don't like to look at or think about. But how many dinosaurs fossils do we need to dig up so we can study them? Do we really need to extract the DNA from their eggs in the hopes of reproducing them back to life again? :angel:

Very little is known about dinosaurs Addie and each time they dig up another bone they learn something new. Extracting DNA to bring them back to life is more a thing of the movies. That is not to say that scientists are not really trying to do that (they are), but getting the DNA sequence would tells us volumes more about those creatures that we do not already know. It was just a few short years ago that no one even realized that modern birds came from dinosaur ancestors. But going back to bringing them back to life, just imagine what we could learn from an actual living dinosaur if we could study it.

Back
Top Bottom