Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw about 40 seconds of Mad Men in two different sessions last week.
I guess it's something you'd have to see from the beginning because all I could say was, What the heck is this? lol
Clicking on Information told me nothing.

Yes, Mad Men makes sense when viewed from the beginning. I got hooked on it. But it's a show where there are almost no likable characters supposedly portraying how cut throat and unlikable Madison Avenue people are.

It wouldn't be for everyone's taste I'm sure.

It seemed it was a show about showing women's legs.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The Pirate and I have had a standing date for Downton Abby. No conversation allowed. And tonight Doc Martin next season starts. Another date to watch TV for both Spike and The Pirate. I am always sorry to see a good BBC show end and then have to wait for the next series. Waiting for Doc Martin has been almost painful. Tonight the pain stops! :angel:
Have you had "Call the Midwife" yet? Another BBC series based on a true story around a group of midwives attached to an Anglican convent of nuns who looked after pre- and post-natal care in the east end of London in the 1950s. Not my sort of thing usually but I got hooked. I was more annoyed about missing that when my television died on me than anything else.

New season of Downton starting over here in September. May have to get the television sorted out by then.

Have you had "Call the Midwife" yet? Another BBC series based on a true story around a group of midwives attached to an Anglican convent of nuns who looked after pre- and post-natal care in the east end of London in the 1950s. Not my sort of thing usually but I got hooked. I was more annoyed about missing that when my television died on me than anything else.

New season of Downton starting over here in September. May have to get the television sorted out by then.

Although I know you were asking Addie, but I had to say I really like that show MC! The new season wasn't offered here but I was able to purchase the episodes for streaming on Amazon, at $2.00 an episode. Now I'm hooked on The Bletchley Circle...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/arts/television/the-bletchley-circle-on-pbs.html?_r=0

Kayelle, I too am hooked on the Bletchley Circle and also love "From Larkrise to Candleford." We get two different PBS stations and they must be airing different seasons as the time frames are all goofed up, I guess I didn't realize I wasn't consistently watching the same channel. :( But still enjoyable. Also was watching Upstairs Downstairs (the new version). It's all just a nice change of pace from The plethora of programming about doctors, lawyers, and crime dramas, that we get so much of here.

I was saddened to read this morning that Fox has decided to cancel the sci-fi cop show "Almost Human," despite the fact it pulled in decent ratings (and apparently was one of the most DVR'ed shows of the season). I found the writing and cast to be some of the best on television. Alas, I suspect the program may have simply been too expensive to produce, since it had several name actors on the payroll, and depended heavily on expensive futuristic sets/technology.

Last edited:
I was saddened to read this morning that Fox has decided to cancel the sci-fi cop show "Almost Human," ...
Sorry to hear that Steve. I was annoyed when ABC canned "Mind Games". I don't remember what its ratings were, but I think they were in the "meh" range. To add insult to injury though, ABC replaces this quirky, fast-paced dramady with..."Swapping Wives"??? How low the viewing audiences' level has sunk...

Sorry to hear that Steve. I was annoyed when ABC canned "Mind Games". I don't remember what its ratings were, but I think they were in the "meh" range. To add insult to injury though, ABC replaces this quirky, fast-paced dramady with..."Swapping Wives"??? How low the viewing audiences' level has sunk...
The one that gets me is "The Goldbergs". Good gravy! I barely managed to get through 10 minutes of one episode. It's got to be one of the worst sitcoms ever.

And yet it's been renewed for a second season. :blink:

I heard that someone from my little town was in a Swapping Wives episode and that he end and his real wife ended up getting divorced after the show.

Kayelle, I too am hooked on the Bletchley Circle and also love "From Larkrise to Candleford." We get two different PBS stations and they must be airing different seasons as the time frames are all goofed up, I guess I didn't realize I wasn't consistently watching the same channel. :( But still enjoyable. Also was watching Upstairs Downstairs (the new version). It's all just a nice change of pace from The plethora of programming about doctors, lawyers, and crime dramas, that we get so much of here.

Thanks for the tip Bunny. I just found "Larkrise to Candleford" at Amazon. Sounds good to me too.

Is Bletchley Circle an ongoing series (available in the U.S.)?

I watched it on Netflix (2 discs, 7 episodes, 2012) and liked it a lot. Would love to see more.

Season two of Bletchley Circle is available on Amazon, although only the first two episodes are available right now, as I believe that's all that's aired on American tv so far. The show is fascinating to me, although I have to use subtitles as "English Speak" is hard for me to understand. ;)

I heard that someone from my little town was in a Swapping Wives episode and that he end and his real wife ended up getting divorced after the show.

Now why doesn't that surprise me? Any man who is willing to have his wife sleep under another man's roof for an extended time, deserves to be divorced. :angel:

Now why doesn't that surprise me? Any man who is willing to have his wife sleep under another man's roof for an extended time, deserves to be divorced. :angel:

The same could be said for the women.

I wish I had more time to watch TV, as of right now I only manage to watch the 10 o'clock news and maybe half an hour of criminal minds. I used to watch a lot of TV on PC during work, when I program stuff, but now with new management, i stopped that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom