Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No cable or satellite here either. Couldn't justify the cost anymore considering how bad a lot of the content is.

It's cheaper to have HULU and Netflix and to buy the occasional season of a high quality program from Amazon for us.

I do have a nice setup, a good sized antenna in the attic, which brings in beautiful uncompressed HD (unlike cable or satellite that need to compress the signal, degrading the quality), I built a home theater PC that has Windows Media Center with full DVR capabilities, netflix built in, and organizes all of my digital music, movies and TV shows. All controlled with a remote control. We can grab the wireless keyboard and open up a regular browser and watch YouTube if we wish, or whatever else we want to stream.

Right now we are catching up on
True Blood and Shameless (US)

We watch regularly

Modern Family
The Big Bang Theory
Raising Hope
The New Normal
Bones
and maybe a few others, I'd have to look on the DVR list.

My husband turns on the TV when he wakes, off when he goes to bed. So I'm glad I'm an insomniac, a few hours of blessed silence a day. That said, Big Bang and some of the BBC series (Downton, Midwives). We also order older BBC series from Netflix and I like them. The Brits seem to not have the preference for shows that feature beautiful people standing around posing that most US TV seems to consist of.

I guess the Netflix availability of old BBC series contributes to my meager 'regular' TV list. I just finished an old BBC series that was truly strange -- Pennies From Heaven. Bob Hoskins pre-Roger Rabbit in a semi-murder mystery where people would stop mid-sentence and begin to lip-sync songs from the 1930's. Apparently it was quite controversial when it aired in the UK, probably because it was a bit racy. The whole concept was just so novel and I was sorry to see it end.

No cable or satellite here either. Couldn't justify the cost anymore considering how bad a lot of the content is.

It's cheaper to have HULU and Netflix and to buy the occasional season of a high quality program from Amazon for us.

I do have a nice setup, a good sized antenna in the attic, which brings in beautiful uncompressed HD (unlike cable or satellite that need to compress the signal, degrading the quality), I built a home theater PC that has Windows Media Center with full DVR capabilities, netflix built in, and organizes all of my digital music, movies and TV shows. All controlled with a remote control. We can grab the wireless keyboard and open up a regular browser and watch YouTube if we wish, or whatever else we want to stream.

Wow. Now there's a home theater. And I'm not being facetious.

Oh.... Ms Gravy Queen reminded me of one of my favorite programs (or is it favourite programmes?): TOP GEAR!

I love that show. Not the lame American knock-off, but the British original with Jeremy Clarkson and his cronies. Unfortunately, our cable company switched things around and now I don't know where BBC America landed.

img_1235017_0_cd5aae8619f2410a20347437fc92f005.jpg

Top-Gear-top-gear-25480329-1280-1024.jpg

GQ, I'm glad you mentioned "Call the Midwife"...I really enjoyed the first season and can't wait to get the next.
Call the Midwife : PBS

Steve - groan , oh yes, lots of Top Gear in this house !

Kayelle, we have the new Call the Midwife series here and there was a Christmas special, such a great programme . Chummy is played by Miranda Hart who has her own comedy series here, I love her , this was her first straight acting role I think .

Forgot to mention comedy programmes we have so many . Love Never mind the Buzzcocks, 8 out of Ten Cats and Mock the Week . I love a bit of quirky taking the piss humour .

Lol... what's not to love? They're a group of 10-year-olds in middle-aged bodies having fun with dangerously fast machines! :LOL:

Steve, I understand the Testosterone vs Estrogin.

But do these middle age men ever consider their families when they are dong these dangerous activities? Do they ever think that if there should be a fatality, that the chances of their children attending colleg has been reduced due to the loss of one parent's income? Or if they do get student aid, that their children will be left with an educational debt that will take them years to pay off? Do they ever consider how difficult it is for a woman to raise a family alone? Or that both the wife and children will wonder for the rest of their lives how could their husband/father do this to them just for a few thrills? Do they even understand just how important their presence is to the function of the family?

Would they allow one of their family members to participate in these activities?

When my son was in the third grade, he was the only one in his class that did not have a father in the home. He still is angry to this day that his father died. And he is 40 y.o. :angel:

Last edited:
This may be of interest to those who have Netflix.

Kevin Spacy (one of my favorite actors) is staring in this new series made exclusively for Netflix, called "House of Cards". He was just interviewed this morning on the Today Show and it sounds like a riveting concept and story.

Check it out! Watch House of Cards Online | Netflix

Thank you for letting us know that Kay, we like him too :)

We have a commercial here for a local furniture store. The husband and wife have always done their own commericals . This past year their three children have taken over doing the commericals. Two sons and a daughter. The girl has always been heavy, but the new ones show here gaining at least 30-40 pounds in a very short time. She used to wear a white blouse with a black jacket. The family uniform. The father always wore a black suit and the mother the white blouse and black jacket. The daughter is now dressed in all black. The mother put on some weight over the years. To be expected. Three children, middle age spread, etc. But in the short time the children have been doing the commercials the daughter has gone from overweight, to fat to obese. I am just curious though, how big is obese? Now I am no one to talk. I could easily stand to lose at least 20 pounds. And I am not judging her. I can't help wonder if the expectations of the kids taking over the business has been too much for her. And as the only girl, is she being ignored? Does she have a health problem that is not being addressed? I was really shocked to see her tonight and can't stop thinking about her.

Her mother for years has been suffering with MS. She did a great job of hiding it. But a year or so ago, the shaking was so noticeable that viewers started to comment on it. So she came out and mentioned talked about her disease. Everyone thought she might have Parkinson Disease. But that was not the case. And it was understood why the kids were doing the commercials instead of their parents. BTW, those three kids are clones of their parents. Even their voices. :angel:

This may be of interest to those who have Netflix.

Kevin Spacy (one of my favorite actors) is staring in this new series made exclusively for Netflix, called "House of Cards". He was just interviewed this morning on the Today Show and it sounds like a riveting concept and story.

Check it out! Watch House of Cards Online | Netflix

Ykies, I just watched the first episode. Not for the faint of heart nor the easily offended. Definitely R rated.

Ykies, I just watched the first episode. Not for the faint of heart nor the easily offended. Definitely R rated.

I'm in :)
I still have the email advertising the show sitting in my inbox because I like the look of it, Kevin Spacey sitting on a Lincoln Memorial type chair with blood on his hands.

i just caught the final episode of season 3 of "an idiot abroad" on bbc america the other day, so i'm recording all of seasons 1 through three now. it was hilarious.

and i'm also recording both the english and american versions of "top gear".

yes, the american knock off isn't as good as the brit original, but i still like it. at least on the american version they don't have a need to insult cars made in america or italy, and drool over german cars while reminiscing of the days of great english cars in every episode.

I've been watching Hoffa more or less this afternoon. It's about the fifth time, so I can miss some parts.

New show on tonight, Golden Boy, we'll give it a go...if I don't like it, I'm going to bed early.

Back
Top Bottom