Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vivian Leigh, who played Scarlet O'Hara, was a British actress, and did wonderfully as a Southern belle. There apparently are similarities.

I had no idea Anthony Hopkins was British.
I watched "Easy Rider" the other night and it seems he did a very good job of playing an American.
I seem to be missing something here. I can't remember Anthony Hopkins being in "Easy Rider" and he isn't on the cast list in Wikipaedia.

Mr Hopkins is Welsh. It doesn't much matter to the rest of us Brits but it appears to do so to the Welsh.

Last edited:
The Yorkshire accent is the one I have the most difficulty understanding. My husband came from the Lakes District and you would think I should be able to understand the Yorkshire accent. It took me a while to understand him all the time at first. Sometimes he would say something to me using the words he grew up with. I would stand there just staring at him wondering what the heck did he just say. :angel:

I seem to be missing something here. I can't remember Anthony Hopkins being in "Easy Rider" and he isn't on the cast list in Wikipaedia.

Mr Hopkins is Welsh. It doesn't much matter to the rest of us Brits but it appears to do so to the Welsh.

My mistake all. I had Dennis Hopper confused with Anthony Hopkins. :rolleyes:

Is anybody watching "Orange is the New Black"? I didn't watch it last year, but after some friends talked about it, I decided to check it out and got hooked. I've seen the first season and am on episode 9 of the second season. It's got great writing and many of the actors were on one or more versions of "Law and Order."

It's REALLY GOOD! Not for the prudish type, but the acting and writing are excellent, i'm trying not to" binge watch " season 2!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Let's face it. Sunday afternoon there is nothing, I repeat nothing worth watching on TV. Well, maybe sports for the men and women who enjoy them.

So The Pirate came across "Mars Attacks". I can't remember the last time I laughed so much for so long. Every single cliché is in that movie. Including the little side room off the Oval Office where the President has illicit trysts. Every known and unknown name in Hollywood appears in this movie. You find yourself trying to identifying all of them. Even Godzilla made an appearance. So if you are looking for good laughs, and have nothing else to watch, make it a point to watch this movie the next time you see it on the schedule. And if you are watching it with someone, see who can identify the most celebrities. (I won! Only because I am older and remember more than The Pirate.) :angel:

Let's face it. Sunday afternoon there is nothing, I repeat nothing worth watching on TV. Well, maybe sports for the men and women who enjoy them.

So The Pirate came across "Mars Attacks". I can't remember the last time I laughed so much for so long. Every single cliché is in that movie. Including the little side room off the Oval Office where the President has illicit trysts. Every known and unknown name in Hollywood appears in this movie. You find yourself trying to identifying all of them. Even Godzilla made an appearance. So if you are looking for good laughs, and have nothing else to watch, make it a point to watch this movie the next time you see it on the schedule. And if you are watching it with someone, see who can identify the most celebrities. (I won! Only because I am older and remember more than The Pirate.) :angel:

One of my faves! Admittedly, the first time I saw it, it creeped me out! Love Ack Ack, along with Nelson Eddie and Jeanette McDonald causing alien head explosions.

Last edited:
Thought I'd try watching "The Lottery" which premieres tonight on Lifetime. Not sure whether that's my kind of series, but thought I'd give it a try.

We watch the Hallmark channel religiously which currently features Cedar Cove, (just about the world's best soap opera) Chopped, HGTV, and Law and Order, SVU and Criminal intent. We LOVED Downton Abbey and are looking forward to the next season.

We watch the Hallmark channel religiously which currently features Cedar Cove, (just about the world's best soap opera) Chopped, HGTV, and Law and Order, SVU and Criminal intent. We LOVED Downton Abbey and are looking forward to the next season.

Right now I have been faithfully following Last Dance In Halifax. It is a British import on PBS. As usual it is a great show. The Brits know how to do it right. And I am patiently waiting for the next season of Doc Martin. I think that show is hilarious!!

I am not one to watch the "Housewives of" shows. But I have been kind of watching The Housewives of London. Some of the women are American transplants and the others British. One of the women so wants to be accepted as British that she gave up her American citizen citizenship and became a Brit. The American women are so funny in their attempts in trying to pass off as a Brit.

Fortunately our TV channels will show a repeat of the last episodes of any Brit imports before a new season starts. To tell you the truth, as much as I love Downton Abby I need a refresher course as I can't remember the last show of last season. :angel:

Right now I have been faithfully following Last Dance In Halifax. It is a British import on PBS. As usual it is a great show. The Brits know how to do it right. And I am patiently waiting for the next season of Doc Martin. I think that show is hilarious!!

I am not one to watch the "Housewives of" shows. But I have been kind of watching The Housewives of London. Some of the women are American transplants and the others British. One of the women so wants to be accepted as British that she gave up her American citizen citizenship and became a Brit. The American women are so funny in their attempts in trying to pass off as a Brit.

Fortunately our TV channels will show a repeat of the last episodes of any Brit imports before a new season starts. To tell you the truth, as much as I love Downton Abby I need a refresher course as I can't remember the last show of last season. :angel:

Actually it's "Last TANGO in Halifax". I had never heard of it Addie but it reads like something I'd really like. I found the first season on Netflix. Have you seen the first season?
Yep, the Brits do it right with lots of great series but the amount of episodes per season is pitiful. Good grief, they are what we would call a mini series here and at times they seem like just a long movie.

Back
Top Bottom