Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watch Hawaii Five-0 sometime. On average, I roll my eyes a dozen times per episode, and usually when they are shown in their flashy computer room. Most real life police organizations are using crappy obsolete computers running software that's at least 10 years old. :rolleyes:

My sister works in a police forensics unit and is the person behind the computer. You are right, it is not half what it is on the shows. But I still find her work interesting. I always keep in mind that the shows are fictional.

I guess I ignore the tech and watch the human interactions. The characters on both shows remind me of so many people I have encountered in my life.

Knowing the tech world, I do exactly the same as you - I love watching them interact (or stumble at it).

As I said before, we have to suspend our disbelief to be entertained.
Exactly!

... it's the more real world of people like those on Big Bang Theory.
You were never lucky(?) enough to watch your college-age son and his friends sit around the dining room table talking and playing card games. Sheldon, Leonard, and the entire gang do exist in the real world. :mrgreen:

One of our kids was usually staying in my parents' home while I was restoring it before we put it up for sale. When The Boy was there, he would have a bunch of his old high school buddies over to play cards. They'd sit around drinking pop (or hot tea in our son and one friend's case) and discuss things like quantum physics, differential equations, and all sorts of things I had no idea what. They could have been plotting to blow up the world and I wouldn't have been able to alert anyone because I wouldn't have known it was happening. Then they'd get all normal-ish and decide to play "Survivor Poker". Winner got to pick a challenge for each loser. Strip to your waist and make snow angels on a 10 degree day? :ohmy: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: Needless to say, I never joined them in cards...

You were never lucky(?) enough to watch your college-age son and his friends sit around the dining room table talking and playing card games. Sheldon, Leonard, and the entire gang do exist in the real world. :mrgreen:

One of our kids was usually staying in my parents' home while I was restoring it before we put it up for sale. When The Boy was there, he would have a bunch of his old high school buddies over to play cards. They'd sit around drinking pop (or hot tea in our son and one friend's case) and discuss things like quantum physics, differential equations, and all sorts of things I had no idea what. They could have been plotting to blow up the world and I wouldn't have been able to alert anyone because I wouldn't have known it was happening. Then they'd get all normal-ish and decide to play "Survivor Poker". Winner got to pick a challenge for each loser. Strip to your waist and make snow angels on a 10 degree day? :ohmy: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: Needless to say, I never joined them in cards...

Nope, not my kids (don't have any), I was with those kids through high school. I was, what is known now, a gamer. If we could have had a computer all of us would have had one. If D&D had been around, we would have been playing it. Plastic Pocket Protectors were big with my crowd.

Nope, not my kids (don't have any), I was with those kids through high school. I was, what is known now, a gamer. If we could have had a computer all of us would have had one. If D&D had been around, we would have been playing it. Plastic Pocket Protectors were big with my crowd.

Before laptops were affordable, TB used to take his PC every Friday night to his friend/business partner's house to play Masters of Orion with two others who did the same. It wasn't easy to play online at the time and they would play for hours. Since I played it a little (when I worked for them) I was invited one Friday. Someone brought me a computer and I was amazed at how "into" it they all were. You didn't dare talk about anything besides whether or not the Psilons were going to invade your home world or what tech you wanted your ally to build and trade. :wacko:;)

Last edited:
Gold Rush's new season started last night. Looks very promising!

Hmm, never heard of this one, but looked it up and it sounds good. I had a rather "infamous" relative in the Caribou Gold Rush, John Caribou Cameron, best buddy of Billy Barker.

Will have to check this one out.

You were really a wild child.

CC, you could have felt younger if you played with them. :angel:

Have not watch TV in almost two weeks and survived.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Hmm, never heard of this one, but looked it up and it sounds good. I had a rather "infamous" relative in the Caribou Gold Rush, John Caribou Cameron, best buddy of Billy Barker.

Will have to check this one out.

There are more that are starting or ending that are very good.

Gold Rush.
Alaska the Last Frontier.
Yukon Men.
Mountain Men.
Ice Lake Rebels.
Smoky Mountain Money (very redneck though).

There are others, I just cannot think of them all.

Last edited:

Gold Rush.
Yukon Men.
Mountain Men.
Ice Lake Rebels.

We like Alaska the Last Frontier and Mountain Men. Have not seen the other ones.

Gold Rush.
Yukon Men.
Mountain Men.
Ice Lake Rebels.

add:

add:
live free or die, (not about people from n.h.)
no man's land,
hillbilly blood,
swamp people,
and ancient assasins

Last edited:
We like Alaska the Last Frontier and Mountain Men. Have not seen the other ones.

Those are two of our favorite shows.

We particularly like Alaska, the Last Frontier. I love that extended family and how they are so responsible for their legacy of that huge old Alaska homestead. I really admire each family member, and it's true life tv at it's very best.

Gold Rush.
Yukon Men.
Mountain Men.
Ice Lake Rebels.

Thanks, I will look into them.

I have a news junky on my hands. Every time he walks through my door, the first thing he does is put on CNN. Then he switches over to a reality show of some kind. I have the TV on for background noise. So I don't mind. But how much news can one listen to without going stark raving mad? :angel:

i caught an editing mistake on last night's episode (season 1 episode 8) of master chef canada.

during the first segment where they show what that episode is about, they showed which team had lost the first challenge and was going into the elimination challenge.

actually, they tipped their hand twice.

the first time was when you could see which team was walking into the kitchen with black elimination round aprons.
the second time they showed that team arguing in a side room on the set, also wearing black aprons with their names on them.

the editor and continuity person blew it. that would never happen on the american version of the show, nor on the similar show "chopped".

the shows are similar in that they both have cliffhanger decisions as they go to commercial.

i've looked at both american shows frame by frame when they are about to reveal which person was eliminated or chopped, and the editing is perfect right down to 1 frame out of 30 per second.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom