Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, CG I didn't see the show. I do remember that he hung himself, (coward) but I still wished he had lived so the other inmates could have some self-induced entertainment. :angel:

I want to sing the praises of a new series that we think is remarkable and we highly recommend it for many reasons. We have watched several episodes so far and each one has been just so well done I had to share it with all of you.

Breaking Borders is on the Travel channel weekly.

Breaking Borders : Mariana Van Zeller, Michael Voltaggio : TravelChannel.com

Award-winning journalist Mariana van Zeller and acclaimed chef Michael Voltaggio are our hosts, our eyes and our ears as they explore Jerusalem, Northern Ireland, Egypt, Cuba, the US-Mexico border, Cyprus and countless other locations. The goal is not to try to solve the conflicts and achieve world peace, but just to get a conversation started, at the dinner table, around the questions “What if”” and “What would it take for these 2 sides to come together and have peace?” At the end of each episode, Mariana and Michael host a dinner, prepared by Michael, where 2 opposing sides of a conflict come together to break bread. -

I know you will all enjoy it as much as we do. It's television at it's very best.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning it, Kayelle. Sounds very interesting. I just set my DVD to record it.

Let me know what you think of it GG. I was especially thinking that you and your DH would really enjoy it. We often talk about the episode for days later. The bonus is the wonderful meal that's created at the end, with the insightful conversation. :chef:

I think you're right, Charlie. It wasn't on after Survivor last night. There was 2 hours of CSI: Cyber instead.

I guess they have to look for new actress again. Gosh, they just cannot keep this one roll filled in. They already went thru 4 actress .

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I haven't watched television since the aerial died a year last Christmas. A couple of weeks ago I had new loft insulation installed and the nice man informed me that the aerial cable had been chewed through (those bl**dy field mice get everywhere!) but he'd spliced and repaired it for me. I tried to be grateful.

Since then I've been watching TV again. It's worse than it was before. 41 channels and everyone worse than the last. Apart from one or two new episodes of Barefoot Contessa broadcast on Food Network at stupid times for anyone who has a life, I feel as though it's "Groundhog Day"!!!

I haven't watched television since the aerial died a year last Christmas. A couple of weeks ago I had new loft insulation installed and the nice man informed me that the aerial cable had been chewed through (those bl**dy field mice get everywhere!) but he'd spliced and repaired it for me. I tried to be grateful.

Since then I've been watching TV again. It's worse than it was before. 41 channels and everyone worse than the last. Apart from one or two new episodes of Barefoot Contessa broadcast on Food Network at stupid times for anyone who has a life, I feel as though it's "Groundhog Day"!!!

I know. Any decent cooking show is when I am at work. And at night it is total nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Anyone notice that some channels programs start and end at odd times, clock wise? Animal Planet, American Hero's Channel, Comedy Central and a few others now expand a usual 30 minute show longer than 30 minutes to get one or two more minutes of advertising in. They skirt the FCC regulations on how many ad minutes you can put in a 30 or 60 minute time period by simply extending that programs air time presentation.

You expect to get to the conclusion of a usual 30 or 60 minute show, but now have to wait thru 5 more commercials that they make happen by simply saying "This show is now a 32 minute or 64 minute show, not a 30 or 60 minute show."

Isn't that ingenious of them? Isn't it? They are now in accordance with FCC regulations regarding how many ads you can put in a given time period, it used to be 30 minutes or 60 minutes. A regulation they got around in a very crafty devious way.

They simply increase that 30 minute or 60 minute block of programming to 32 minutes or 64 minutes to get more ads in. The FCC needs to look into that and address it.

Last edited:
Caslon, that's a major irritation for me. I hate turning on the 6:00 news and the lead story is just wrapping up. It also interferes with switching channels and the new show has already started before the previous show is over.

More and more I DVR shows and watch them later when I can skip ads and make my own schedule.

Caslon, that's a major irritation for me. I hate turning on the 6:00 news and the lead story is just wrapping up. It also interferes with switching channels and the new show has already started before the previous show is over.

More and more I DVR shows and watch them later when I can skip ads and make my own schedule.

We have an NBC station that starts 2 minutes early with the news. It claims it is the top of the hour at 5, when it is really 4:58.

We record a great portion of what we watch, mainly because we're sick of being "commercialed to death." Our evaluation is that of an hour's program a good 20 minutes is devoted to advertising. I resent that at least of an hour of my evening's viewing forces me to be hammered to death by someone trying to sell me something I don't want.

As for the actual programming, from mid-May until about the end of September, there is nothing (at least in our view) to watch. Mostly reruns and reality shows out the kazoo. I never would have guessed that those kinds of programs would have garnered so much interest. Daily life is enough "reality" for me. I watch TV or go to the movies for a little escapism.

Is anyone else really happy about the new fall TV season? It's so great to start watching some good drama again. I have all our favorites set to record, along with some new series. We never watch live TV. A new one we've already seen twice is Blind Spot and it's riveting! We watched the end of CSI (as we knew it) and the ending had me bawling like a baby.

What are your feelings about the Fall line up?

I enjoy Blindspot too. Also happy to see Survivor and Amazing Race!

I enjoy Blindspot too. Also happy to see Survivor and Amazing Race!

Oh we just love Amazing Race!! It's so cool to see them in so many places we've visited, at a much slower pace. :LOL:
Since they've been in South America, I wish they'd do the race at Iguassu Falls! That would be spectacular!

Last edited:
I DVR'ed Blindspot, but haven't watched it yet. Sounds like a good one.

I watched the series premiers of Blood and Oil, and Limitless. Limitless might be OK, but I don't have too high of hopes for Blood and Oil. I like to give them a chance, so will watch both a few more times and see what happens.

I'm waiting for American Crime to come back on - that was a good one, IMO.

I DVR'ed Blindspot, but haven't watched it yet. Sounds like a good one.

I watched the series premiers of Blood and Oil, and Limitless. Limitless might be OK, but I don't have too high of hopes for Blood and Oil. I like to give them a chance, so will watch both a few more times and see what happens.

I'm waiting for American Crime to come back on - that was a good one, IMO.

Yep, we watched the first episode of Blood and Oil. Like you, I'll give it a chance. It's been a very long time since Dallas. ;) My step grandson went to ND for the start of the oil boom, and came back several months later happy to be back home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom