"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #441
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I either do that cave76 or to take it one step further I use XBMC which allows me to watch any TV show (or movie) I want at any time without any commercials to even have to skip through.
I had to google XBMC. Sounds interesting but since I'm dependent on Closed Captioning or SDH I wonder how well they handle that. I looked at some of the links on XBMC about that and got a bit worried when they talked about 'subtitles' which isn't always the same thing as Closed Captions or SDH.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #442
Chief Eating Officer

What is the difference between closed caption and subtitles? I honestly did not even realize there was a difference. I have no idea what SDH is so I can't comment one that part either.

I have used the subtitles on XBMC before so I have a little bit of experience with that part of the program. What i can tell you is that chances are if there is something you need to be able to do then XBMC can probably do it. The one possible downside to XBMC is that it requires a little to a lot of technical know-how although they keep coming out with things that make that less and less the case.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #443
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
On Nat. Geo there is a program call The Incredible Dr. Pol. He is a veterinarian and in his 70's. His whole family in the business and two of his kids are vets also. (I think. I know the daughter is.) His practice in located in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. He is the kind of vet anyone would love for their animals. I just love this show.
A friend of mine is actually one of the producers on that series. I have yet to see it, though.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #444
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What is the difference between closed caption and subtitles? I honestly did not even realize there was a difference. I have no idea what SDH is so I can't comment one that part either.
English subtitles are the English translation of the dialogue. Where as Closed Captions add in the other sounds eg. (knock, knock) when there is a knock at the door or, (a gunshot is heard in the background)

SDH is purportedly better and easier to read because of how the words appear on the screen. There are other differences and only a person who really likes details would want to read this:
SDH and CC

I've been fooled with a DVD (netflix) subtitles where only words that are foreign (to the English) are subtitled, leaving the rest of the movie unintelligable to me. That might be just one sentence.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #445
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks for the explanation cave76. That makes sense. I think the way XBMC works it would depend on the actual plugin that you are using whether closed captioning works or is even an option. The short answer though is that it seems like it might be more effort than it is worth right now to try to get closed captioning working on it unfortunately.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #446
Executive Chef

mind games, a new show, looks promising. influencing and manipulating people, solving problems using psychology.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #447
Certified Pretend Chef

A new season of a winning series starts again on March 31st. The Red Sox season starts then.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #448
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The Voice! Amazing Race. And Person of Interest was really good tonight. Looking forward to the new season of Survivor tomorrow.

And as much as I miss Jay, I'm really enjoying Jimmy Fallon.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #449
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just finished watching About a Boy, Growing Up Fisher and Person of Interest...it was a good night for TV!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #450
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Last night was NCIS and NCIS LA, new episodes. Tonight is Criminal minds and CSI!

I was really tempted to save the NCIS' and spend the evening watching BBC Planet Earth, but just watched after NCIS.

Planet Earth is beautiful scenery. I just use Closed Captioning, and turn the sound off so I can read a book, and look up to enjoy the pretty pictures.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote