"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #41
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I love MeTV! We don't have cable or satellite. We bought an amplifier at WalMart and it brings in the local channels and MeTV.
We love MeTV too!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

No cable or satellite here either. Couldn't justify the cost anymore considering how bad a lot of the content is.

It's cheaper to have HULU and Netflix and to buy the occasional season of a high quality program from Amazon for us.

I do have a nice setup, a good sized antenna in the attic, which brings in beautiful uncompressed HD (unlike cable or satellite that need to compress the signal, degrading the quality), I built a home theater PC that has Windows Media Center with full DVR capabilities, netflix built in, and organizes all of my digital music, movies and TV shows. All controlled with a remote control. We can grab the wireless keyboard and open up a regular browser and watch YouTube if we wish, or whatever else we want to stream.

Right now we are catching up on
True Blood and Shameless (US)

We watch regularly

Modern Family
The Big Bang Theory
Raising Hope
The New Normal
Bones
and maybe a few others, I'd have to look on the DVR list.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My husband turns on the TV when he wakes, off when he goes to bed. So I'm glad I'm an insomniac, a few hours of blessed silence a day. That said, Big Bang and some of the BBC series (Downton, Midwives). We also order older BBC series from Netflix and I like them. The Brits seem to not have the preference for shows that feature beautiful people standing around posing that most US TV seems to consist of.
I guess the Netflix availability of old BBC series contributes to my meager 'regular' TV list. I just finished an old BBC series that was truly strange -- Pennies From Heaven. Bob Hoskins pre-Roger Rabbit in a semi-murder mystery where people would stop mid-sentence and begin to lip-sync songs from the 1930's. Apparently it was quite controversial when it aired in the UK, probably because it was a bit racy. The whole concept was just so novel and I was sorry to see it end.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
No cable or satellite here either. Couldn't justify the cost anymore considering how bad a lot of the content is.

It's cheaper to have HULU and Netflix and to buy the occasional season of a high quality program from Amazon for us.

I do have a nice setup, a good sized antenna in the attic, which brings in beautiful uncompressed HD (unlike cable or satellite that need to compress the signal, degrading the quality), I built a home theater PC that has Windows Media Center with full DVR capabilities, netflix built in, and organizes all of my digital music, movies and TV shows. All controlled with a remote control. We can grab the wireless keyboard and open up a regular browser and watch YouTube if we wish, or whatever else we want to stream.
Wow. Now there's a home theater. And I'm not being facetious.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

Wow. Now there's a home theater. And I'm not being facetious.
After 5 months without cable, the antenna/computer setup paid for itself! It helps to be a bit techie and I like DIY projects!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #46
Master Chef

This may be of interest to those who have Netflix.

Kevin Spacy (one of my favorite actors) is staring in this new series made exclusively for Netflix, called "House of Cards". He was just interviewed this morning on the Today Show and it sounds like a riveting concept and story.

Check it out! Watch House of Cards Online | Netflix

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
After 5 months without cable, the antenna/computer setup paid for itself! It helps to be a bit techie and I like DIY projects!
I am not a bit techie, just a bit tetched in the head!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Oh.... Ms Gravy Queen reminded me of one of my favorite programs (or is it favourite programmes?): TOP GEAR!

I love that show. Not the lame American knock-off, but the British original with Jeremy Clarkson and his cronies. Unfortunately, our cable company switched things around and now I don't know where BBC America landed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
GQ, I'm glad you mentioned "Call the Midwife"...I really enjoyed the first season and can't wait to get the next.
Call the Midwife : PBS

Steve - groan , oh yes, lots of Top Gear in this house !

Kayelle, we have the new Call the Midwife series here and there was a Christmas special, such a great programme . Chummy is played by Miranda Hart who has her own comedy series here, I love her , this was her first straight acting role I think .

Forgot to mention comedy programmes we have so many . Love Never mind the Buzzcocks, 8 out of Ten Cats and Mock the Week . I love a bit of quirky taking the piss humour .
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #49
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Steve - groan , oh yes, lots of Top Gear in this house !
Lol... what's not to love? They're a group of 10-year-olds in middle-aged bodies having fun with dangerously fast machines!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Lol... what's not to love? They're a group of 10-year-olds in middle-aged bodies having fun with dangerously fast machines!
Steve, I understand the Testosterone vs Estrogin.

But do these middle age men ever consider their families when they are dong these dangerous activities? Do they ever think that if there should be a fatality, that the chances of their children attending colleg has been reduced due to the loss of one parent's income? Or if they do get student aid, that their children will be left with an educational debt that will take them years to pay off? Do they ever consider how difficult it is for a woman to raise a family alone? Or that both the wife and children will wonder for the rest of their lives how could their husband/father do this to them just for a few thrills? Do they even understand just how important their presence is to the function of the family?

Would they allow one of their family members to participate in these activities?

When my son was in the third grade, he was the only one in his class that did not have a father in the home. He still is angry to this day that his father died. And he is 40 y.o.