"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #531
Executive Chef

Yes, I saw it. I have watched every episode. The boat they were living on has sank.
I will not tell you anymore in case you might want to watch it.

But I am two shows past the altercation in central Alaska.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #532
Chef Extraordinaire

I would suspect that folks like that tend to be anti-social and cannot function in a normal society setting. Of course I can say this having never seeing the program. But just reading about them here, tells me a lot. They don't want to pay rent, taxes, utilities or any other normal bill that the rest of us have. After all, they aren't going to be suckers to big business like the rest of us. They are going to beat the system.

Are their school age children being home schooled? Is the parent capable or even have enough knowledge to even home school them?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #533
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would suspect that folks like that tend to be anti-social and cannot function in a normal society setting. Of course I can say this having never seeing the program. But just reading about them here, tells me a lot. They don't want to pay rent, taxes, utilities or any other normal bill that the rest of us have. After all, they aren't going to be suckers to big business like the rest of us. They are going to beat the system.

Are their school age children being home schooled? Is the parent capable or even have enough knowledge to even home school them?
And what will they do if one of the family needs an operation---- appendicitis? broken leg?

Who will pay for that? Or will they just let Bear dig a hole, as he seems to love to do, that's deep enough to bury the person in when s/he dies---- while enjoying their freedom to live as they wish?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #534
Chef Extraordinaire

I am watching The World Wars on The History Channel. A three part series they originally broadcast on Memorial Day.

They have just started the second part. I hope it goes better than the first part.
It's the (bleep) History Channel for you know who's sake! Do you think they could show the Germans shooting German rifles?! Or the Americans walking with MacArthur shooting American rifles?! Everybody is shooting the British Lee Enfield. It's driving me nuts. Was that the only milsurp they could find? Oh wait, they did show Hitler as a corporal in WWI firing an American 1903 Springfield from the treches... sheesh. Major screwups.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #535
Chef Extraordinaire

Nope! The Japanese are carrying Lee Enfields, too, instead of their own Arisakas. At least the first time they showed them.
I gotta look for a thread on this program. I can't believe the simple things they are getting wrong. Makes me wonder on the key points.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #536
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am watching The World Wars on The History Channel. A three part series they originally broadcast on Memorial Day.

They have just started the second part. I hope it goes better than the first part.
It's the (bleep) History Channel for you know who's sake! Do you think they could show the Germans shooting German rifles?! Or the Americans walking with MacArthur shooting American rifles?! Everybody is shooting the British Lee Enfield. It's driving me nuts. Was that the only milsurp they could find? Oh wait, they did show Hitler as a corporal in WWI firing an American 1903 Springfield from the treches... sheesh. Major screwups.
I'll watch almost anything about the World Wars, but esp. # 2. I'm not knowledgeable enough to notice the different rifles but there's always an expert to point those things out. (Not sarcasm, pac,!)

I have those shows recorded, but unwatched yet.

Are you saying that the series was making a point about the fact that the Germans and Japanese were carrying British guns? Or was that something you noticed because of your knowledge about guns?
Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #537
Chef Extraordinaire

It's something I noticed, Cave. I try to pick out the different weapons and was hoping to see (for instance) the transition from the German Gewehr 98 to the K98, not them not even using German rifles at all. It's one of those things that whoever there advisor for authenticity was clearly dropped the ball on.
From what I read after I googled my vent they were inaccurate on several key things. You're much better off (for accuracy) watching the black and white footage on the wars on the Military channel (or whatever they call it now... American Heroes I think). I didn't even bother finishing the three part series.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #538
Head Chef

Quote:
It's something I noticed, Cave. I try to pick out the different weapons and was hoping to see (for instance) the transition from the German Gewehr 98 to the K98, not them not even using German rifles at all. It's one of those things that whoever there advisor for authenticity was clearly dropped the ball on.
From what I read after I googled my vent they were inaccurate on several key things. You're much better off (for accuracy) watching the black and white footage on the wars on the Military channel (or whatever they call it now... American Heroes I think). I didn't even bother finishing the three part series.
I see, and thanks for replying. That's the trouble with being more or less an expert on something (you and rifles)---- you notice all those things.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #539
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I see, and thanks for replying. That's the trouble with being more or less an expert on something (you and rifles)---- you notice all those things.
Or someone with "gourmet fresh food" taste buds that can't enjoy the *regular* food us commoners eat.
I can only imagine it's just as frustrating as watching inaccurate history portrayal
Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #540
Head Chef

Quote:
I can only imagine it's just as frustrating as watching inaccurate history portrayal
Since much of what we were taught in school about history was inaccurate then it follows that history on TV would be the same with the added problem of portraying everything in one hour programs and in keeping with the sponsors point of view.