Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the Olympics, especially gymnastics since I was a gymnast in high school. I've been watching that, swimming and some of the diving and running.

DH taught LaShawn Merritt when he was in high school, so we're excited he won a bronze medal :) My dad was in the swimming Olympic trials in college and I have fond memories of watching the Games with him when I was a kid. Good times.

I taught swimming and lifeguarded in Canada during the summer as a teen and young adult. I was so jealous of Canadian friends who could train year-round in the Pan-Am pool in Winnipeg, some of whom actually qualified for the Pan-Am games, and one for the Olympics. My tiny town's pool was only open in the summer.

I agree, Kay, it's time they were over.

Not on TV anymore, but I just discovered Firefly. I looove that show. Binge-watched all two episodes. Now I'm sad it's over. :mad:

For TV, I love John Oliver's show on HBO. And I love watching the old stand-up comedy specials on HBO. Recent ones I've seen: Margaret Cho, Ally Wong, Bo Burnham, Gabriel "Fluffy" Inglesias.

KL, take heart. There were 14 episodes in its one, short-lived season. If you haven't found them online, check if your library has the disc. I can get it through our system, and we live in the sticks in MA.

I haven't seen it yet, but Himself has. He said he'd watch them with me if I get the disc. I'm just waiting for baseball season to be over - that's when I go back to actually watching more than a couple hours of TV!

As far as the Olympics go, I've seen some. Not following any particular event, but mostly watched whatever was in in the late evening/overnight when I would decide to flop in my chair. We did see most of the women's beach volleyball. I watched their play-by-play while Himself watched the "scenery". :LOL:

Brain Dead

Has anyone else been watching this summer show? We started with it because it has Tony Shalhoub and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it. These two are no where near their previous roles of Adrian Monk and Mary Phinney. I loved Adrian. Senator Wheaton? Not so much.

We've decided the plot of the show explains a lot about Washington, D.C., though.:LOL:

Last edited:
After America's Got Talent tonight, there was the cutest show, with William Shatner, George Foreman, Henry Winkler, and Terry Bradshaw in Tokyo, all playing themselves. Better Late than Never. It was funny! And Shatner is 85!

Is anyone as disgusted with Robert (Jerry Springer, Maury Povich) Irvine's new, low life show as I am? What ever respect he may of had, just went out the window, IMO.

Is anyone as disgusted with Robert (Jerry Springer, Maury Povich) Irvine's new, low life show as I am? What ever respect he may of had, just went out the window, IMO.

I haven't seen it. But if you recall, his original resume as a professional chef was riddled with outright lies. I have never watched him since. So if he has resorted to the JS type of show, I am not surprised. :angel:

Yesterday afternoon's Labor Day holiday was spent on the Norwegian train trip from Trondheim to Bodo which showcases Norway's beautiful scenery. At certain times of the year the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) can be viewed in Bodo.

I found this selection in the Netflix streaming catalog -- it was originally a "Slow TV" show. Just lovely.

After America's Got Talent tonight, there was the cutest show, with William Shatner, George Foreman, Henry Winkler, and Terry Bradshaw in Tokyo, all playing themselves. Better Late than Never. It was funny! And Shatner is 85!

85, wow! BBC America is running a 50th anniversary Star Trek marathon thru this weekend. For any Star Trek buffs here, there's an interesting read about the sets and lighting in Star Trek. Star Trek was so unique in that regard. The sets and lighting were very well done on a minimalist budget. It's no wonder to me that it's recognized as a classic 50 years later.

Minimalist Magic: The Star Trek Look - Bright Lights Film Journal

68_images_68startrekhead.jpg

Last edited:
85, wow! BBC America is running a 50th anniversary Star Trek marathon thru this weekend. For any Star Trek buffs here, there's an interesting read about the sets and lighting in Star Trek. Star Trek was so unique in that regard. The sets and lighting were very well done on a minimalist budget. It's no wonder to me that it's recognized as a classic 50 years later.

Minimalist Magic: The Star Trek Look - Bright Lights Film Journal

68_images_68startrekhead.jpg

Have a feeling Captain Kirk had a bit of "work" done. I want to look as good as he does when I get to 85. These guys truly like each other, and are delightful to watch!

It's a summer filler, the last episode will be next week after AGT.

Last edited:
We're going to miss "Brain Dead" when it ends this Sunday at 11:00 PM. :( It, too, has been a summer filler show (CBS), but Himself said if it went over well he hopes the network brings it back in January when they start dumping shows that aren't cutting it.

Never has politics been so much fun! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom