"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #561
Head Chef

Let's Talk TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Anybody is watching The Last Ship? There is this Russian admiral in the last night episode. I know it probably doesn't matter to you, but being from Russia and speak the language it makes such a difference when a Russian person plays Russian, especially when it comes to speaking Russian. It is atrocious what most actors do the language. With all the Russians in Hollywood nowadays you'd think producers would make a right choice and pick one out for a role. The only one who was able to speak Russian normally, meaning that I could actually understand what he was saying, was Liev Schreiber. Everybody else are just horrible.

I'm watching it and liking it so far.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #562
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I watched the premiere of the new Halle Berry series "Extant" last night. I thought it was pretty good. Which means it will probably be cancelled after a dozen episodes.
I liked it, too! Yep, that means the show is doomed.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #563
Chef Extraordinaire

Is anybody watching "Orange is the New Black"? I didn't watch it last year, but after some friends talked about it, I decided to check it out and got hooked. I've seen the first season and am on episode 9 of the second season. It's got great writing and many of the actors were on one or more versions of "Law and Order."
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #564
Senior Cook

I'm not watching it yet but it sounds interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #565
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Anybody is watching The Last Ship? There is this Russian admiral in the last night episode. I know it probably doesn't matter to you, but being from Russia and speak the language it makes such a difference when a Russian person plays Russian, especially when it comes to speaking Russian. It is atrocious what most actors do the language. With all the Russians in Hollywood nowadays you'd think producers would make a right choice and pick one out for a role. The only one who was able to speak Russian normally, meaning that I could actually understand what he was saying, was Liev Schreiber. Everybody else are just horrible.
I expect the voice coaches teach them the lines using phonetics without bothering to translate. I don't suppose there are as many first language Russian speakers in Hollywood as there were in the 1930s.

Sometimes I cringe when an American actor or actress tries to play English part. They sound so mannered as if they have been made to watch english films from way back. I expect Americans feel the same when English actors and actresses speak with what they assume to be Amrican accents.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #566
Master Chef

I'm usually not into anything weird, but I did give "Extant" a try because I like the stars of the show. I did my usual eye rolling through a lot of it and it bugged me that there were so many obvious mistakes with the weightless scenes. That little boy/robot is one heck of a real life little actor though. I'll give it a few more episodes since there's so little worth watching in the summer.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #567
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...I expect Americans feel the same when English actors and actresses speak with what they assume to be Amrican accents.
And an "American accent" is...what? Even after 14 years in New England there are a few times I feel like I'm in a foreign land. I suppose the same might be said about England? And then throw in all the other countries in the United Kingdom with different dialects? Gotta be just as tough as an "American accent".
Old 07-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #568
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And an "American accent" is...what? Even after 14 years in New England there are a few times I feel like I'm in a foreign land. I suppose the same might be said about England? And then throw in all the other countries in the United Kingdom with different dialects? Gotta be just as tough as an "American accent".
Maybe it's easier to think of world news reporters in both the USA and England. I think a typical accent in both cultures is best represented by them. I'm told those of us out west in the US don't have an accent because we all sound like world news broadcasters. Just a thought to ponder I guess.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #569
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I expect the voice coaches teach them the lines using phonetics without bothering to translate. I don't suppose there are as many first language Russian speakers in Hollywood as there were in the 1930s.

Sometimes I cringe when an American actor or actress tries to play English part. They sound so mannered as if they have been made to watch english films from way back. I expect Americans feel the same when English actors and actresses speak with what they assume to be American accents.
I think the best English actress to do the American accent is Jane Seymour. A lot of Americans don't even realize she is English. She has played so many roles that call for an American accent.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #570
Master Chef

Hugh Laurie, the British actor who played House has the American accent nailed.

The first time I saw him interviewed with his natural British accent I thought he was joking!

Dang, I miss that show..