"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #571
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hugh Laurie, the British actor who played House has the American accent nailed.

The first time I saw him interviewed with his natural British accent I thought he was joking!

Dang, I miss that show..

I agree!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #572
Senior Cook

Me too.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #573
Head Chef

If any of you Hugh Laurie fans would like to see him as a callow youth, a very funny one, Netflix streaming has 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie.' These two, Stephen Fry and Laurie, also did some great comedy in the BBC's P. G. Wodehouse stories -- Laurie was perfect as Bertie Wooster.

I had been saving the new (well, new to me) Cumberbatch Sherlock Holmes update and finally watched episode No. 1 last night. Now I see what all the talk was about -- a new favorite series is born. It's not my father's Basil Rathbone.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #574
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I expect Americans feel the same when English actors and actresses speak with what they assume to be Amrican accents.
Some English actors have it down pat. As mentioned, Hugh Laurie does a great job. In fact, the actors who typically pull off the best American accents are the ones you tend to not notice.

On the other side of the coin, there have been a number of otherwise wonderful British actors who have struggled playing American parts. Anthony Hopkins, Michael Caine, and Ewan McGregor come to mind. McGregor, for some inexplicable reason, has been repeatedly cast in roles as an American ("Black Hawk Down", "Big Fish", "Down With Love") and yet his accent is awful. Maybe "awful" isn't fair, but he does have a tendency to slide from one region to another when he speaks his lines. I find it very distracting.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #575
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
.... I don't suppose there are as many first language Russian speakers in Hollywood as there were in the 1930s....
You'd be surprised. Mila Kunis, for example, speaks absolutely perfect Russian. Surprisingly, for a person who grew up in America. There are many more who actually Russians.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #576
Chef Extraordinaire

Are any of you Northerners watching the All Star game? Looked at the food available at Target Park. Walleye on a Stick, Pork Chop on a Stick, and a few other choice items on the menu? I am very happy that I am watching it at home and can go to the fridge for food I am familiar with.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #577
Master Chef

Walleye is delicious, with or without a stick! Himself loves that the best from all Great Lakes fish, while my favorite is definitely Lake Erie perch. NOT your average ocean perch by any means.

One of the cities on Lake Erie, Port Clinton, OH, has a Walleye Drop every new years eve. Think of the Times Square ball...but instead it's a fiberglass fish!

Walleye Madness - Walleye Drop (Port Clinton, Ohio)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #578
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Are any of you Northerners watching the All Star game? Looked at the food available at Target Park. Walleye on a Stick, Pork Chop on a Stick, and a few other choice items on the menu? I am very happy that I am watching it at home and can go to the fridge for food I am familiar with.
I wish I had time to go, since it's in my backyard. My brother-in-law and his son went to yesterday's game and had a great time.

Some of the food sounds.... interesting. The one thing I thought I'd like to try was the tempura fried lobster.

Funny thing about Walleye. It's our state fish, but almost all of it that you buy or eat here comes from Canada.

It is delicious, though. One of my favorite freshwater fish.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #579
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Some English actors have it down pat. As mentioned, Hugh Laurie does a great job. In fact, the actors who typically pull off the best American accents are the ones you tend to not notice.

On the other side of the coin, there have been a number of otherwise wonderful British actors who have struggled playing American parts. Anthony Hopkins, Michael Caine, and Ewan McGregor come to mind. McGregor, for some inexplicable reason, has been repeatedly cast in roles as an American ("Black Hawk Down", "Big Fish", "Down With Love") and yet his accent is awful. Maybe "awful" isn't fair, but he does have a tendency to slide from one region to another when he speaks his lines. I find it very distracting.
I had no idea Anthony Hopkins was British.
I watched "Easy Rider" the other night and it seems he did a very good job of playing an American.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #580
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And an "American accent" is...what? Even after 14 years in New England there are a few times I feel like I'm in a foreign land. I suppose the same might be said about England? And then throw in all the other countries in the United Kingdom with different dialects? Gotta be just as tough as an "American accent".
Well, basically, an American accent to us is anything that is spoken "over there". I can sometimes tell the difference between American and Canadian but not very often. Variations like, say, Texas and Massachsetts, are noticeably different to us but I probably wouldn't notice the difference over a shorter distance, say Texas and Oklahoma.

As for English accents. I was listening to a dramatisation of a DH Lawrence novel on the radio a few weeks back. It's set on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire borders. All the "working class" characters were gaily speaking in North Yorkshire accents which is nothing like the DH Lawrence accent. I know the accent as my mother's family come from the DH Lawrence area and it really grated.

As regards the "American" accent, I was generalising. I once heard an English actress who worked a lot in Hollywood say that the easiest American accent for English people to mimic is the southern "drawl". But really there must be a lot of variations across the southern states.