Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've been watching Reign on Netflix. It's about Mary the Queen of Scots during the 16th century.

I learned something new a couple of weeks ago. I don't have cable or satellite, because I don't want to pay 100-bucks a month for 5 channels I do want, and 150 channels I don't want. I buy the few TV shows I do like on iTunes.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to delete almost all of the TV shows I have already watched from my HD. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I freed up 600 GBs of space. I had no idea those TV shows were that big.

So, if you download TV shows, I suggest you do some cleaning.

CD

I saw Hetty Wainthrop here in the U.S. She is a hoot. The whole family loved her in her previous series. Whose name escapes me at the moment. (Senior moment alas!)

I have to face it. This family loves shows that come to us from England. Thank you PBS.

two pages back and yeah, I have no clue what any of this stuff is! Haha I have recently though been getting into a few Brit stuff, like sitcoms and comedy, but like from the 90's early 2000s, not much recent stuff. But it's a hoot! Yeah, my favorite was...Spaced and some standup of Dave Gorman. I've also seen a bit and obviously heard of Red Dwarf, but ...idk. Kind of equate it to the sort of SNL humor, which I don't always enjoy, but sometimes it's ok. I know I know, that's probably not the show that parallels, but it's all I know atm.

PBS, or like other local Chicago channels have brought us a lot of Canadian tv, mostly cooking or self improvement shows, but I was really liking that for a long time! :)

But yeah, well, I like a show ABOUT a Brit, well, a British actor/character, called Lucifer. Omg, I actually watched James Corden the other night a bit. I think he'll need a bit of time adjusting to the program (i heard he's not so well liked back in UK. true? idk), but yeah I mean...well, the guests were hilarious!! haha I think he's alright. I enjoy listening to the accent, but I think it could use work.

I'll have to come back with my "religious" watching as my brain's a little fogged from the hiatus of most shows right now. Big Bang Theory, obviously, but I honestly missed like most of last season so it's not at the top anymore. But it's good! Ok, well I guess there is Moms, and TheGoldbergs and hmmm already forgetting the name. All great sitcoms, but so much similar vibes, I can only do so much in a night! hehe

I miss Community. I really got into it late.

Oh, and I have to watch on Netflix at my parents' house, but I guess TheWalking Dead has to be one of the best ever tv dramas, IMO, and also the retired House (so yeah, more Brit influences?? :D)

Last edited:
I learned something new a couple of weeks ago. I don't have cable or satellite, because I don't want to pay 100-bucks a month for 5 channels I do want, and 150 channels I don't want. I buy the few TV shows I do like on iTunes.

A couple weeks ago, I decided to delete almost all of the TV shows I have already watched from my HD. I have a 1TB hard drive, and I freed up 600 GBs of space. I had no idea those TV shows were that big.

So, if you download TV shows, I suggest you do some cleaning.

CD

Yeah they take up a lot of space -- especially HD. Have Netflix? I would be happy to get rid of cable, but the wife is a TV junky. I'd be happy with Netflix, over the air HD NBC/ABC/CBS/PBS, renting stuff from iTunes/Google, etc..

My wife used to hate Netflix because she'd look for a show and 8 times out of 10, it wouldn't be on there. But I told her "it's 9 bucks a month, of course it's not going to have everything, but you can fill your queue with enough stuff to keep you busy for months". So now she understands and has filled her queue with tons of stuff. She's binge watching a few shows on there now.

Last edited:
We've been watching Reign on Netflix. It's about Mary the Queen of Scots during the 16th century.

actually, I have heard of/seen a little bit of a few episodes of this. I'd have to watch it without hubby though, so it's kind a hard to get that time unless I retire upstairs (which i usually don't like). And, as above, I'm usually burnt out from tv to watch much more. But it did look promising and beautiful! :D

Just looked it up. Got Pierce Brosnan in it. Nice. Set DVR to record. Thanks.

You're welcome Jon. I really like Pierce too, and he seems to have the Texan accent nailed for this. It's been a very long time since there has been a good western series on tv. That's coming from an old geezer like me who loved all those old westerns. Hope it turns out as good as it sounds.

I grew up watching reruns of bonanza, the big valley, little house on the prairie, lone ranger amongst others. I still put cowboys on Sunday afternoons.

Documentary/Reality TV shows are getting more and more diluted these days with regards to worthwhile content. Shows more worthy
of being seen only on the Travel channel. They're travelogue shows trying to be more.

Last edited:
I just saw this on Twitter: Create TV on PBS is airing a series of cooking-show marathons on the weekends, each dedicated to a theme. This weekend is "On the Farm," with seasonal recipes. Next weekend is "Boston Strong," about - ta da! [emoji38] - Boston recipes and history. I may need to set it to record.

https://createtv.com/marathons

I just saw this on Twitter: Create TV on PBS is airing a series of cooking-show marathons on the weekends, each dedicated to a theme. This weekend is "On the Farm," with seasonal recipes. Next weekend is "Boston Strong," about - ta da! [emoji38] - Boston recipes and history. I may need to set it to record.

https://createtv.com/marathons

Thanks for that GG...looks interesting.

PBS is also about to start the new season of "Call the Midwife". The British series captured my heart from the start several seasons ago. OK, I'm always a sucker for a tender story, and this is one I enjoy in my "alone time".

Last edited:
Well, durn it all. I get PBS and I see "Call The Midwife" is airing soon, but apparently I don't get the marathon shows (createtv) that GG linked to. :(

I feel the same as you, Cheryl - "durn". We can get two different PBS feeds: WGBH out of Boston, and RIPBS out of Providence. Neither broadcast Create strongly enough to reach us even though we get two channels (standard PBS fare, plus "World" from Boston, standard PBS but different from Boston's, plus "Learn" from Providence) from each network. Oh, the signal for the Spanish channels reach, but me no habla espanol.

I'm not a fan of the British shows, so I would gladly swap them all out for connection to "Create".

Back
Top Bottom