"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #591
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Let's Talk TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Let's face it. Sunday afternoon there is nothing, I repeat nothing worth watching on TV. Well, maybe sports for the men and women who enjoy them.

So The Pirate came across "Mars Attacks". I can't remember the last time I laughed so much for so long. Every single cliché is in that movie. Including the little side room off the Oval Office where the President has illicit trysts. Every known and unknown name in Hollywood appears in this movie. You find yourself trying to identifying all of them. Even Godzilla made an appearance. So if you are looking for good laughs, and have nothing else to watch, make it a point to watch this movie the next time you see it on the schedule. And if you are watching it with someone, see who can identify the most celebrities. (I won! Only because I am older and remember more than The Pirate.)

One of my faves! Admittedly, the first time I saw it, it creeped me out! Love Ack Ack, along with Nelson Eddie and Jeanette McDonald causing alien head explosions.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #592
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love Mars Attacks.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #593
Executive Chef

love mars bars. love orange is the new black, and orange is my favorite color.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #594
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love Mars Attacks.
What cracked me up was the aliens talking like what Charlie Brown hears in his head when adults are speaking. Great mindless entertainment.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #595
Master Chef

Thought I'd try watching "The Lottery" which premieres tonight on Lifetime. Not sure whether that's my kind of series, but thought I'd give it a try.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #596
Executive Chef

i'll be checing out madam secretary when it airs (next month?). handily, it will be preceding the good wife on cbs on sundays.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #597
Senior Cook

We watch the Hallmark channel religiously which currently features Cedar Cove, (just about the world's best soap opera) Chopped, HGTV, and Law and Order, SVU and Criminal intent. We LOVED Downton Abbey and are looking forward to the next season.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #598
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm still very intrigued with Extant.
Thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot to watch it on TV. Cut up on PC yesterday. Yeah, an interesting twist building up. I wonder how long they will be able to keep it up until it turns into Mars Attack.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #599
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
We watch the Hallmark channel religiously which currently features Cedar Cove, (just about the world's best soap opera) Chopped, HGTV, and Law and Order, SVU and Criminal intent. We LOVED Downton Abbey and are looking forward to the next season.
Right now I have been faithfully following Last Dance In Halifax. It is a British import on PBS. As usual it is a great show. The Brits know how to do it right. And I am patiently waiting for the next season of Doc Martin. I think that show is hilarious!!

I am not one to watch the "Housewives of" shows. But I have been kind of watching The Housewives of London. Some of the women are American transplants and the others British. One of the women so wants to be accepted as British that she gave up her American citizen citizenship and became a Brit. The American women are so funny in their attempts in trying to pass off as a Brit.

Fortunately our TV channels will show a repeat of the last episodes of any Brit imports before a new season starts. To tell you the truth, as much as I love Downton Abby I need a refresher course as I can't remember the last show of last season.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #600
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Right now I have been faithfully following Last Dance In Halifax. It is a British import on PBS. As usual it is a great show. The Brits know how to do it right. And I am patiently waiting for the next season of Doc Martin. I think that show is hilarious!!

I am not one to watch the "Housewives of" shows. But I have been kind of watching The Housewives of London. Some of the women are American transplants and the others British. One of the women so wants to be accepted as British that she gave up her American citizen citizenship and became a Brit. The American women are so funny in their attempts in trying to pass off as a Brit.

Fortunately our TV channels will show a repeat of the last episodes of any Brit imports before a new season starts. To tell you the truth, as much as I love Downton Abby I need a refresher course as I can't remember the last show of last season.
Actually it's "Last TANGO in Halifax". I had never heard of it Addie but it reads like something I'd really like. I found the first season on Netflix. Have you seen the first season?
Yep, the Brits do it right with lots of great series but the amount of episodes per season is pitiful. Good grief, they are what we would call a mini series here and at times they seem like just a long movie.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote