Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently binge watched the 7 part drama from Netfix..."Anne with an E" based on Anne of Green Gables. While I just loved it for many reasons, the purist fans of "Anne of Green Gables" hated it. I really hope there will be a second season I enjoyed it so much. If you're a member of Netflix take a look and decide for yourself!

Last edited:
I thought you'd be a Blue Bloods fan Charlie. Aside from it being a gripping crime drama every week, with generally a beginning and an end to the story, we love the interesting dynamics of the family and especially the weekly family dinner at the end of every show. Ykies...actually a show with a family message that people can watch with their kids!
:mrgreen: Whata concept!

Love family dinners. My dream. When my grandparents were alive we did that every week.

It's been six months since we moved into our new home
and I FINALLY got our WII (I know, ancient technology but it's fun)
and Netflix back up and running
(took me long enough to figure out! the last time I had hooked them up was 8 years ago---kinda forgot how to do it :blush:)

K, I have Anne with an E in my list to watch, along with 53 other shows/movies.

Yesterday my back was giving me grief, so I binged on Father Brown and Doc Martin, with a topper of Zootpoia, cute film.
DH came into the room, throws his hands up in the air and says,
"Oh my gosh! She's watch cartoons again!" :LOL:

I mean my gosh, we haven't had any sort of Television to watch other trying to stream on our tablets for the 6 months prior to moving here. Mr & Mrs Landlord don't have any sort of connection :mellow:

Pirate and I watched on 'GBX-TV American Masters. It was about Julia Child. I had seen it before, but Pirate hadn't. When it was over, he asked me if I had one of her books autographed. "Yeah, but I gave it away." I also mentioned to him that specially after her husband passed away, she would go out to eat throughout Cambridge and Boston. Sometime with friends, sometime alone. People who lived in Boston and Cambridge never intruded on her meal, except rude tourists.

My sister and I were seated next to her table and we overheard a tourist spot her. She was all set to go for her autograph, and both my sister and I jumped up and stood in front of the tourist. I blurted out that she had just lost her husband and wished to not be disturbed. The tourist started to argue with us and we began to crowd her back to her seat step by step. A waiter came over and wanted to know what the problem was. I simply said, she wants to disturb Julia. He quietly told her in a very soft whispery tone that if she insisted, she and her other guests would be asked to leave in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear. The tourist sat down. I guess she didn't want to be embarrassed. And I doubt she ever went back there. Nothing lost.

Normally Bostonians are very protective and helpful to our tourists. But we don't allow our folks who have made a name for themselves to be harassed.

Addie, you and your sister must have been quite a pair to take on the roles of body guard for Julia Child!

How did you know that "she didn't want to be disturbed"? Maybe she was there because she wanted to talk with her fans, you didn't know. I'm sure if she wanted to be left alone she would have actually hired someone for the evening or have stayed home. You also have no idea what the intentions were of the "tourist" as you called her. Maybe she wanted to offer her condolences to Julia, and maybe the kindness would have done Julia good. You just don't know.

Julia was a very approachable woman and lived here in Santa Barbara for her later years. I saw her in Costco once looking at cookbooks and everyone around knew she was there also. Nobody bothered her. It may surprise you that good manners are not exclusive to Boston. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aww, c'mon Addie. Bostonians, as well as most New Englanders alike, are infamous for NOT being polite to tourists. I think the expression I've often heard in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts is "Please come and
leave your money, then go as quickly as posdible".

Last edited:
Aww, c'mon Addie. Bostonians, as well as most New Englanders alike, are infamous for NOT being polite to tourists. I think the expression I've often heard in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts is "Please come and leave your money, then go as quickly as posdible".

I have never been rude to a tourist. If anything, just the opposite. I saw a few girls looking at the wonderful map the tourist industry make available for free. They were looking at it. "If we go this way, we can see Chinatown. I noticed that they were pointing to City Hall. I went over and pointed out that they were looking at the map upside down. And I informed them that they DID NOT want to see Chinatown. It is where the ladies of the evening plied their trade. Also there were many men of ill repute hanging out on the street, looking for an unsuspecting tourist. they went off to look at other sites. My advice for them was to follow the red brick line in the sidewalk. And stop to read the plaques on the side of a building.

Aww, c'mon Addie. Bostonians, as well as most New Englanders alike, are infamous for NOT being polite to tourists. I think the expression I've often heard in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts is "Please come and
leave your money, then go as quickly as posdible".

It's hard to put one label on the entire population of a region, but I think New Englanders tend to be reserved more than rude.

It's hard to put one label on the entire population of a region, but I think New Englanders tend to be reserved more than rude.

You're right Andy. When I go out on my scooter and pass someone walking, I now try to smile and say "Good Morning, Afternoon, etc. Sometimes there are elderly sitting on their front stoop or porch, I always slow down to say hello. I feel better for it and I know the recipient also does.

When Spike is walking Teddy, people will stop to pet him and they talk to Spike. Dogs are a great talking breaker. Specially if they are small. Pirate ran into one of the regulars that stop and talk to Spike. He referred to him as "that old homeless man that walks his dog." Spike is not a man that talks very much. And he certainly is not homeless.

I stumbled on "American Gods" - "fantasy" they called it. More like bizarre LSD trip. Grotesk craziness. But then I was probably the only one who did not like pulp fiction. I guess i am just not "artistic" enough to understand such nonsense.

I stumbled on "American Gods" - "fantasy" they called it. More like bizarre LSD trip. Grotesk craziness. But then I was probably the only one who did not like pulp fiction. I guess i am just not "artistic" enough to understand such nonsense.

No Charlie, it is not you. There is so much nonsense, violence and far out crap on TV now, that it is getting more difficult to find anything really enjoyable on TV. The weather is nice now, so I am going to start going down to the Public Library and taking out CD's to watch.

I am a huge fan of the show "Blue Bloods" starring Tom Selleck as the police commissioner of New York City. A great show that prioritizes family and doing the right thing.

I thought I answered this thread but cannot seem to locate my post ..

In English: Blue Bloods .. I am a grand enthusiast of Pólice Programming ..

In Spanish: Old films from Cine de Barrio = The Neighborhood of Cinema which focuses on the Silver Screen films of Spain.

In Catalan: The local News here in Barcelona and surrounding regions of Cataluna.

I thought I answered this thread but cannot seem to locate my post ..

In English: Blue Bloods .. I am a grand enthusiast of Pólice Programming ..

In Spanish: Old films from Cine de Barrio = The Neighborhood of Cinema which focuses on the Silver Screen films of Spain.

In Catalan: The local News here in Barcelona and surrounding regions of Cataluna.

Another Blue Bloods fan!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom